SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-23, 01:37 PM   #5446
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Users\Bill\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\ Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Nihon Kaigun v1.3a_FotRSU
Combined Roster
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
AddInModzPak_18
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar
650_MoreDudz
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
851_Red_FotRSU_Logo
801_UMark Invisible

1. I don't recall if I have ever changed the deck gun position. Was the default deck gun position of Gato class in the rear? If so then yes. I always like forward deck guns.
2. So the boat once again is a Gato.
3. I started off at Manila as a part of Asiatic fleet, but now I have transferred to Midway.
4. The current date is Jan 1943

My boat's current config is forward 4inch deck gun + rear deck 20mm flak and another twin 20mm flak on the conning tower. F11 is supposed to cycle thru all AA guns, but it doesn't cycle me to the one on deck. My deck gun's crewable spots are still 4, and they are all on the forward deck gun. I would image the spot should increase to 5 so one crew can be put on the flak. But anyway, maybe it's I don't know how to access it.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 02:51 PM   #5447
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

OK, if you are referring to a 20mm gun position on the deck, then that is not usable by the player. The game allows the two conning tower positions are AA guns, while the deck gun positions are deck guns. As such, only the one position can be used by the player. I don't know if we want to muddy the waters with another mod for each of the "twin gun" options with it, to where the player can shoot it, since its range is limited to effectively under 2800 yards, but it does work rather well as a barge or sampan buster...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 03:22 PM   #5448
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, I don't know if we want to muddy the waters with another mod for each of the "twin gun" options with it, to where the player can shoot it, since its range is limited to effectively under 2800 yards, but it does work rather well as a barge or sampan buster...
i try never to be THAT close to any enemy vessel because one never knows which one is armed and will shoot at my crew.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-23, 03:58 PM   #5449
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Gato received an upgrade

Started new career in SF with a Gato, April 1942.
Shoved off on first mission May 27, 1942, to the Convoy College with a "sink" objective.
Sank 7 ships for 1,465 renown and a mission rating of 1.
returned to Pearl at mission-end and received a medal and a conning tower upgrade. the effective date for the new conning tower is 4/16/42, so this was the first time we entered port after that date.
all subs share the same Upgrade class.

LAA enabled
Old 05-06-23, 08:28 PM   #5450
Wolfcat
Chief

Yeah, I also tested it. The rear deck AA gun is working. It's just not accessible to users. It would automatically shoot either air or surface target. It just feels like an unmanned autocannon. Also there is a bit graphics glitch. When submerged, that deck AA gun disappears.
Old 05-06-23, 09:23 PM   #5451
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default 3000 yd indicator

hey PB,

is there a 3000 yd indicator that is compatible with FOTRSU 1.8?

LAA enabled
Old 05-07-23, 10:40 AM   #5452
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Started new career in SF with a Gato, April 1942.
Shoved off on first mission May 27, 1942, to the Convoy College with a "sink" objective.
Sank 7 ships for 1,465 renown and a mission rating of 1.
returned to Pearl at mission-end and received a medal and a conning tower upgrade. the effective date for the new conning tower is 4/16/42, so this was the first time we entered port after that date.
all subs share the same Upgrade class.

- pic -
Excellent. We might try like Ducimus did, and offer a "flat" UpgradeClass option for those who want to force the game to have to choose "conning tower", since the boat upgrade is removed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hey PB,

is there a 3000 yd indicator that is compatible with FOTRSU 1.8?
Just about any of them should be. CapnScurvy's versions are the most accurate, but some of the others probably used the same artwork. Just remember though, that the 3k is a bit larger in memory, which was why FotRSU (CapnScurvy) chose to do a 1500 yd version for those with "lighter" computer hardware. It really shouldn't be noticed on a newer box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
Yeah, I also tested it. The rear deck AA gun is working. It's just not accessible to users. It would automatically shoot either air or surface target. It just feels like an unmanned autocannon. Also there is a bit graphics glitch. When submerged, that deck AA gun disappears.
Think of the after gun not as "AA" but as "Deck Gun". You will notice that when manned for "automatic" use, your crew will only shoot the two AA guns on the fairweather at planes, and the deck guns shoot only at surface targets, which the AA guns ignore. In reality, a target is a target is a target... but alas, the game is not built like that. You will notice similar behavior from the 2nd deck gun when it is a 4" or 5" gun also. The player can only man the one deck gun position, while both of the AA guns are able to be manned by the player. Also, that 20mm gun would have been pulled and stowed when a dive is called for, hence it "disappears" when underwater...

Old 05-07-23, 09:06 PM   #5453
Wolfcat
Chief

Wait a min, so you are saying the deck AA gun is considered a part of the deck gun so it won't shoot air target? I have seen it shoot surface target automatically. But since I usually avoid confrontation with air threat, so I haven't seen it shoot air targets yet.
Old 05-08-23, 06:25 AM   #5454
propbeanie

Yep. When a gun is on the "deck" of the boat, it is mounted in a "Deck Gun" position, so therefore, is a Deck Gun, not an AA gun, no matter its size, and will only shoot at surface targets. Plus, since the game only provides for one player position, you can only man the one gun. Any gun on the fairweather is mounted in an "AA Gun" position, is an AA Gun, and with then only shoot at air targets, and ignores surface targets. Even if you manage to mount an 18.3 inch triple gun turret there - it will only shoot at air targets, unless the player assumes control. Now, take that same boat and same guns, and turn them into an AI controlled ship, and all guns shoot at all available targets, which is infuriating... but that's the nature of the game.

Old 05-08-23, 08:42 AM   #5455
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
but that's the nature of the game.
nature of the game......

LAA enabled
Old 05-08-23, 11:36 AM   #5456
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Excellent. We might try like Ducimus did, and offer a "flat" UpgradeClass option for those who want to force the game to have to choose "conning tower", since the boat upgrade is removed...
i have noticed another nuance relating to "awards".

in the recent past i drove an Argonaut, as well as a Narwhal/Nautilus, with FOTRSU. when we had a decent mission, our crew was awarded actual Silver Stars, Bronze Stars, and Navy Crosses.

i played TMO 2.5 w/RSRD, driving a Porpoise and the same range of awards was presented to my crew.

however, when we had the same success from missions while driving a Gato or a Balao with FOTRSU and TMO 2.5+RSRD, the highest awards made available to the crew were the Campaign ribbon and Commendation award. That's it.

so, it sure seems like Ubi values success with lesser boats more highly than it does with better, more modern boats. but how?
other than the Upgrade Class field, what other field could Ubi use to rank boat quality?

LAA enabled
Old 05-08-23, 05:49 PM   #5457
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
ok, December 1942 come around and we shove off to patrol the Carolines.
Driving a Gato out of Pearl
Sank a bunch of ships ships for 2,660 renown and a mission rating of 2.
returned to Pearl at mission-end and received a medal but no conning tower upgrade.
the effective date for the new conning tower is 1/01/43, so this was the first time we entered port after that date.

the last refit-in-base occurred after the second mission and this was our sixth.

i'll have to try and remember next December to keep the renown score under 2.

LAA enabled
Old 05-10-23, 08:44 AM   #5458
propbeanie

Yes, KaleunMarco... you can earn too much renown and/or have too high of a rating, when it comes to the conn upgrades, when you have the boat upgrades stifled with all boats having the same Upgrade level... The game wants to give you conn 3 instead of 2, or 4 instead of 3, because your score is too good, but the date is just too far away... so the game goes "uh... uh... hiccup hiccup... uh..." and does nothing. Maybe next time in from patrol though, it will have regain its "senses", and gives you the next conn... While I am thinking about it, some of the boats (Salmon / Sargo especially) have differences in the radar mounts, with the first conn having no provision for a radar mast at all, the 2nd conn being an unsupported radar mast (ie: the conn has a support for it to sit in), while the 3rd & 4th conn then uses Supported Radar (the mast supports are part of the radar, not the conn). This is another reason you lose radar from conn to conn... Besides the going from regular SJ to Improved SJ...

Old 05-10-23, 09:18 PM   #5459
Wolfcat
Chief

I think I am fuked. I was offered a Balao on 5/3/1943. I didn't know it and I took it. I guess I have to reload a pre-Balao save now?
Old 05-10-23, 10:21 PM   #5460
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
I think I am fuked. I was offered a Balao on 5/3/1943. I didn't know it and I took it. I guess I have to reload a pre-Balao save now?
Most likely. You are so close, you only missed it by || this much... It goes active in v1.8 on 21 May, 1943... So you most likely would never have a valid Home Port. It would be best to go back to a previous Save. Think of those Green circles when you are coming back in from patrol as your "I have to Save the game" reminder. They also signify where you will start seeing the TC slow downs. If you're at 2048, you'll need to come down to 1024, then 512, then 256 then 128 as you get closer to that Red circle, which is about where you will be asked if you want to End Patrol. Whether you are just outside the Red circle, or just inside, is a function of the "clock" in the game, and how busy the traffic around you is. Now, another thing, look at KaleunMarcos post above about where he was awarded a new conning tower. The initial wording can be somewhat misleading, but the confirmation pictures of the Re-Fit and the New Command are definitely different. Again, this is a function of the game wanting to reward the player for having done so well... but why they didn't make it bullet-proof, I don't know... We do have an idea we are experimenting with right now for the next release, and we'll see how well testing goes. It is a rather involved work-around though, and testing it is not easy to do. This has really delayed the processing of the next release, as has oldmanitis, but we are working on it...