SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-22, 12:58 PM   #1516
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainEA View Post
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

OM_DarkWaters_V6
OM_Med_Env
OM_Warm_Clothes
DBSM_SH4

Is there a tutorial that explains how to install the OM DW mod on windows 10?

In order to observe if I have not omitted a step ....

Cordially, Captain_PUJOL
What I highlighted in "Orange" above is the main problem you are having. Windows is not friendly at all to the old DirectX v9 games, and especially to "modded" games. The Program Files folders are 'protected' by Windows, and as such, it will not allow any editing of what are perceived to be "system" files, such as anything with an ini or cfg extension, among others. You do not have a complete mod activation is the main trouble. Your mod list itself should be fine. What I would do is use JSGME and de-activate all of your mods. Then navigate into the Program Files (x86) folder and select the "Ubisoft" folder below it. Press and hold the <Ctrl> key while you press the <C> key, which will copy the folder and all below it. Now navigate to the root C:\ drive, and paste the folder and its contents with a <Ctrl><V> key combination. It will probably take a minute or several to copy everything over. This will leave the game in the Program Files (x86) folder for those times you want to play stock. But back to what is now hopefully a "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..." path, go into the downloads section here on SubSim, and get yourself MultiSH4. Put it inside your new "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..." folder and run it. In the little window it brings up, type a 3-character folder name for your Saves to go into, such a ODW or whatever yo want. The create yourself a desktop shortcut if you want, and point it to the new copy. Now activate the DW mods as you had them before, start the game, and make your settings match what you had. In theory, you should not have any more trouble...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 01:01 PM   #1517
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Type IXC Feb 3 1944 2nd Flotilla Lorient. I have not touched the damage model.

RAF Liberator firing rockets, as well as Mosquito, another twin engine...similar to Ventura...all British planes.
OK, I built a little test mission, and here are the results:

The Wellington I included did not show, and the 2nd Mosquito was a pinch tardy, so whether those are related, I don't know, but the rockets performed flawlessly, and no CTD here, so it must be something else... ??

Old 07-20-22, 01:14 PM   #1518
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, I built a little test mission, and here are the results:

The Wellington I included did not show, and the 2nd Mosquito was a pinch tardy, so whether those are related, I don't know, but the rockets performed flawlessly, and no CTD here, so it must be something else... ??

Did you have my DW mod activated for the test ? Not that I know of anything in there that would cause it. I think CTD may have been caused by the leigh lot mod.

Rockets could have been a fluke or what appeared to be direct hits were near misses and did not cause damage. Who knows. lol
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 01:23 PM   #1519
propbeanie

No, that's just Dark Waters as it comes. Note the interior views, and bulkhead damge never goes over 1% after all those hits and bombs. However, the boat does sink from flooding, and all the crew are at a minimum injured.

Edit: put yours on top, and same thing. Sank perhaps a bit faster, no CTD.

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-20-22 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-20-22, 03:01 PM   #1520
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
No, that's just Dark Waters as it comes. Note the interior views, and bulkhead damge never goes over 1% after all those hits and bombs. However, the boat does sink from flooding, and all the crew are at a minimum injured.

Edit: put yours on top, and same thing. Sank perhaps a bit faster, no CTD.
Interesting.

Yes, hull rarely takes damage bc HP for uboats are set to 15000 lol. Part of the damage model. I love the damage model for u boats overall, the sinking, think needs a little adjustment in flooding time, but excellent. Would love to get it into fleetboats.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 04:25 PM   #1521
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Well, that cuts it then... nothing but specific dates for all future releases of anything... sigh. This complicates testing though...
i did some additional testing. Keep in mind that Flot, Base, & Boat all expire on 1944-08-25 and the latest available mission expires 1944-08-15

if i finish patrolling and get back to base by August 23 (as opposed to August 25), i am offered command of a new type of boat, which is bad. i should have been offered retirement instead, because the next mission should not begin until September and that date is after the Flot/Base/Boat expiration.

also, if i refuse the XXIII, i keep the IIB-BlkSea and get assigned the default mission (Thames) with a start date of August 25.

does the Pacific theatre perform the same way? like when the Asiatic fleet runs from base to base until they land at Fremantle and then Brisbane? does that logic assign a new mission on the day a base closes?

i am starting to think that UBI-illogic cannot handle a Flot/Base/Boat expiration....the illogic needs a follow-on Flot/Base at a minimum or it goes back to the default mission. this is partly why those Germany-based kaleuns were getting assigned Fremantle missions: the illogic could not assign a local mission and went back to the default mission which was defined for Pacific-only German Uboats and therefore was the Fremantle mission. i modded that out to be the Thames mission for Dark Waters but the illogic still ends up there under certain conditions.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 05:37 PM   #1522
propbeanie

The Pacific would probably do the same thing... the Cachalot that expires, actually expires at an active base, and the player should upgrade boats. The Aleutians are similar, in that the base and campaign expires, but the boats transfer to Pearl first, then the boats expire, and a player should upgrade to another boat. The player does have the option to transfer to San Diego, but that is a dead-end hole there. I might try to do that tonight, along with a "hat" test for Kal. Your making the Thames the default mission is probably why you are getting it. The game falls through all of the 'logic' it can muster, and lands there when nothing makes sense... As for the transfer stuff, yes, the player should get one last assignment at their first "home port" after they transfer to a new port - so if a player would attempt to out-smart the game, and transfer to another flotilla (which none are available with a IIB at the time), then they wake-up at the new location, but still have that assignment from when they came back in from their previous patrol, which would be in the Black Sea in this case... Catch-uh Twenty-Two-uh... again. I do not think there is a way to have the game end, and the player just has to accept that they did their duty, and are now POWs, and should just do a new career...

Old 07-20-22, 06:52 PM   #1523
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
The Pacific would probably do the same thing... the Cachalot that expires, actually expires at an active base, and the player should upgrade boats. The Aleutians are similar, in that the base and campaign expires, but the boats transfer to Pearl first, then the boats expire, and a player should upgrade to another boat. The player does have the option to transfer to San Diego, but that is a dead-end hole there. I might try to do that tonight, along with a "hat" test for Kal. Your making the Thames the default mission is probably why you are getting it. The game falls through all of the 'logic' it can muster, and lands there when nothing makes sense... As for the transfer stuff, yes, the player should get one last assignment at their first "home port" after they transfer to a new port - so if a player would attempt to out-smart the game, and transfer to another flotilla (which none are available with a IIB at the time), then they wake-up at the new location, but still have that assignment from when they came back in from their previous patrol, which would be in the Black Sea in this case... Catch-uh Twenty-Two-uh... again. I do not think there is a way to have the game end, and the player just has to accept that they did their duty, and are now POWs, and should just do a new career...
yes, the illogic reigns supreme.

the only use-case where a player has the opportunity to end their career in the Black Sea is if they end their career on August 25.
any other use-case will result in the default mission assignment followed by no-home-base for the remainder of the war.

LAA enabled
Old 07-20-22, 10:01 PM   #1524
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0

Quote:
What I highlighted in "Orange" above is the main problem you are having. Windows is not friendly at all to the old DirectX v9 games, and especially to "modded" games. The Program Files folders are 'protected' by Windows, and as such, it will not allow any editing of what are perceived to be "system" files, such as anything with an ini or cfg extension, among others. You do not have a complete mod activation is the main trouble. Your mod list itself should be fine. What I would do is use JSGME and de-activate all of your mods. Then navigate into the Program Files (x86) folder and select the "Ubisoft" folder below it. Press and hold the <Ctrl> key while you press the <C> key, which will copy the folder and all below it. Now navigate to the root C:\ drive, and paste the folder and its contents with a <Ctrl><V> key combination. It will probably take a minute or several to copy everything over. This will leave the game in the Program Files (x86) folder for those times you want to play stock. But back to what is now hopefully a "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..." path, go into the downloads section here on SubSim, and get yourself MultiSH4. Put it inside your new "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..." folder and run it. In the little window it brings up, type a 3-character folder name for your Saves to go into, such a ODW or whatever yo want. The create yourself a desktop shortcut if you want, and point it to the new copy. Now activate the DW mods as you had them before, start the game, and make your settings match what you had. In theory, you should not have any more trouble...
Thank you, my game seems to work much better

However, I don't have my saves in the game...

Is there a way to get them back?

Because, as you can see, I'm relatively high enough in the game

ps: I downloaded and installed the "multiSH4 1.5" for SH4 uboat mission. Is this the right one?

In addition, when reinstalling my game automatically put these "GAMEPLAY SETTINGS"

1- Manual targeting system

2- map contact update

3- event camera

Can I turn them off? Because I played well in real difficulty...

And finally the game automatically set the "Measurement units to "Authentic".

Should I leave it or should I put on "Metric", because I read in the description of the Mod that @fifi advised to put on "Metric".

Cordially, Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 07-20-22 at 10:13 PM.
CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-22, 11:49 PM   #1525
propbeanie

There is an Options menu, and on that is Gameplay options, and you can do any combination you want. When you do a career though, there is an Options menu in the Office while you are in port, and that is accessed by clicking on the radio icon to the left of the desk in the office. The same settings are in there, but these apply to each individual career you run, and do not affect the main menu, and vice versa. A person would use metric measure in a German campaign only because that was what the Germans used, so it is just for "authenticity". If you prefer imperial, use it.

Unfortunately, there is no way your old Save data would be usable now. Even if you had saved it aside somewhere, it would not be usable. Once the game is messed-up, the Save data is messed-up also.

Yes, the MultiSH4 v1.5 is what you use for the V1.5 of the game, which is the Uboat Missions. If you have v1.4 of the game, you would use MultiSHv1.4...

Old 07-22-22, 09:00 AM   #1526
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67

Quote:
There is an Options menu, and on that is Gameplay options, and you can do any combination you want. When you do a career though, there is an Options menu in the Office while you are in port, and that is accessed by clicking on the radio icon to the left of the desk in the office. The same settings are in there, but these apply to each individual career you run, and do not affect the main menu, and vice versa. A person would use metric measure in a German campaign only because that was what the Germans used, so it is just for "authenticity". If you prefer imperial, use it.

Unfortunately, there is no way your old Save data would be usable now. Even if you had saved it aside somewhere, it would not be usable. Once the game is messed-up, the Save data is messed-up also.

Yes, the MultiSH4 v1.5 is what you use for the V1.5 of the game, which is the Uboat Missions. If you have v1.4 of the game, you would use MultiSHv1.4...
@propbeanie A BIG HUGE AT YOU!!!!!!!! For your help, I rediscover the game graphically. It now works perfectly, even with the graphics pushed to the maximum :P.

This is how my new videos look now thanks to you

Sincerely, Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 07-24-22 at 11:53 AM.
CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-22, 12:05 PM   #1527
propbeanie

Oooohh-ooohh - prehty!!! Glad you are going better, and you are welcome!

Old 07-23-22, 10:36 AM   #1528
frostedflaker
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Hello, I am just getting back into playing SH 4 after a long absence, and as Ubisoft will not let me play my copy of SH 5, have decided to go for an ATO campaign here. A few quick questions, mostly about the Type IX:

1) Are there any peculiarities of the Type IX I should be aware of in this mod? Any general tips would be appreciated. What is the best way to use crew stations, for example the conning tower station?

2) I've noticed that the 3.7cm FlaK is missing from the Type IX deck at war's start, with only the conning tower 2cm. Is this deliberate? Is it a quirk to using a boat from II Flotilla?

3) In the most general terms how does this mod differ from KSD II? In specific terms, how is the Type IX implemented in each?

Thank you
frostedflaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 10:56 AM   #1529
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

frostedflaker! I see in infamous seven-year-itch has struck agin' Nice 'silent run' since August 2014!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 11:13 AM   #1530
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflaker View Post
Hello, I am just getting back into playing SH 4 after a long absence, and as Ubisoft will not let me play my copy of SH 5, have decided to go for an ATO campaign here. A few quick questions, mostly about the Type IX:

1) Are there any peculiarities of the Type IX I should be aware of in this mod? Any general tips would be appreciated. What is the best way to use crew stations, for example the conning tower station?

2) I've noticed that the 3.7cm FlaK is missing from the Type IX deck at war's start, with only the conning tower 2cm. Is this deliberate? Is it a quirk to using a boat from II Flotilla?

3) In the most general terms how does this mod differ from KSD II? In specific terms, how is the Type IX implemented in each?

Thank you
ahoy FF,

can't answer your comparative questions as i have only dabbled in SH5 and have never ventured into KSD.

now, as for your other questions:
crew stations: as in previous releases, there are six/seven skills for a crewman and each skill is best used in one department. if you purchased SH4 it should come with some documentation on which skills are best for each compartment. if i type it all out here i would be dead by the time i finished.

conning tower: command and sensor skills would probably fit the best.

flak guns: sometimes, the game will not present a Kaleun the most up-to-date list of upgrades at the time you are assigned a boat. you need to save, exit SH4, and then relaunch it and reload the savegame. you may see new options available. if they are not available after you have performed this, then whoever developed the mod has other availability dates for that equipment.

personally, i do not worry at all about flak guns when playing DW as it is a fool's errand. when you hear, "aircraft spotted", dive the boat to 50 m as quickly as you can. aircraft will pass by and then 15-30 minutes later they will make the return trip overhead. then you can surface. if you attempt to fight it out, no matter if you shoot the plane down or not, THAT aircraft will radio your position, course, speed, etc and his brothers will make an immediate and continuous effort to sink you. dive to 50m, stay quiet and undetected, live to sink ships.

good luck, Herr Kaleun!

LAA enabled