Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-22, 10:15 PM   #31
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
The rise of adolescent banned book clubs proving the banning simply highlights interest in a free society.
The concept of banned books in a 'free society' is interesting in itself.
Old 02-01-22, 03:01 AM   #32
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
[...] I was reading an article earlier which bemoaned Spotify's decision, saying something to the effect of potential damage caused by misinformation. I get that ... really, I do. But when faced with the alternative: potentially setting a precedent which could damage our right to free speech, I think Spotify's choice was the correct one. [...]
I guess Spotify's decision was based on with whom they make more money, but it was their free private company decision, as it was Young's. Has an artist the right not to let his works be published by someone he does not like?
B.t.w. https://open.spotify.com/search/Neil%20Young
Quote:
It saddens me to see here in these forums the now common practice of taking everything to extremes. I mean ... comparing someone's skepticism of the 'official' narrative concerning this virus to holocaust deniers? REALLY?! Apparently Godwin's Law must be a fact.
But this is exactly the thing, those extremes, not only since 2016. Rockstar calls people who are pro-mandate (when it comes to vaccines) "mandate nazis". I guess the real Nazis would be a bit underwhelmed to see this being compared.
I personally think that comparing a temporary(!) law to get rid of a plague as somehow rational, while comparing this to wear a yellow star patch (as Taylor Greene does) is idiotic.

But seriously: do you stop tolerating others expressing their opinion when this harms others, or do you never do this because 'free speech'? Do you take action? What if someone calls for harming others because of 'his opinion', if he has an influential media presence? Thus my intentional exagerration with dictators expressing their opinion, before they become dictators.
Rogan has the media presence of a statesman, should he show some responsibility or does the number of clicks justify anything? Can we imply that everyone has enough common sense?

But one thing is true: People have their opinions before they watch shows and reports, they choose their information sources based on their filter bubble, and no accidentally seen other opinion piece or even scientific proof will ever change their mind.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 02-01-22 at 03:20 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 08:00 AM   #33
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
But one thing is true: People have their opinions before they watch shows and reports, they choose their information sources based on their filter bubble, and no accidentally seen other opinion piece or even scientific proof will ever change their mind.
Exactly. That is true and played out every day.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 08:26 AM   #34
Catfish

re Rogan and about his claims, BBC reality check:
https://www.bbc.com/news/60199614

I remember seeing this video some years ago because of a primate research meeting in Goettingen, i did not remember this had been this Rogan though
edit changed the link, new one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/co...ist_tells_him/

"After spending roughly five minutes going off about a now-debunked pseudoscientific theory of the “Bondo ape” — a purported Congolese super-ape that supposedly could walk upright like a human and was hyper-aggressive — Rogan took a call from a Floridian primatologist who identified herself only as “Allison.”
She countered that “there’s no such thing as a Bondo ape” — but before she could even finish her sentence, the host was jumping down her throat, calling her a “****ing idiot” and telling the PhD scientist that she should go “online” and look it up."

As far as i know there is no "Bondo ape". Though some may look like it on the 'net

Last edited by Catfish; 02-01-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 09:16 AM   #35
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
I guess Spotify's decision was based on with whom they make more money, but it was their free private company decision, as it was Young's. Has an artist the right not to let his works be published by someone he does not like?
B.t.w. https://open.spotify.com/search/Neil%20Young
But this is exactly the thing, those extremes, not only since 2016. Rockstar calls people who are pro-mandate (when it comes to vaccines) "mandate nazis". I guess the real Nazis would be a bit underwhelmed to see this being compared.
I personally think that comparing a temporary(!) law to get rid of a plague as somehow rational, while comparing this to wear a yellow star patch (as Taylor Greene does) is idiotic.

But seriously: do you stop tolerating others expressing their opinion when this harms others, or do you never do this because 'free speech'? Do you take action? What if someone calls for harming others because of 'his opinion', if he has an influential media presence? Thus my intentional exagerration with dictators expressing their opinion, before they become dictators.
Rogan has the media presence of a statesman, should he show some responsibility or does the number of clicks justify anything? Can we imply that everyone has enough common sense?

Extreme like making people submit to unwanted medical procedure? I don’t think I’m extreme. I know you are. I got vaxxed, I recommend you do get vaxxed. What I do not agree with are mandate Nazis carrying out experiments on people who don’t want too be injected with something they know nothing about. Worse yet were the loudest of all the mandate Nazis, hypocrites, and political class not abiding in their own rules.

You have been wrong and are still wrong in every way imaginable if you STILL believe that vaccine could eradicate that virus, prevent you from catching it or prevent you from spreading it. Wake up it’s not like the plague, it’s not a seat belt, it’s not like the measles and it’s not like polio, It’s over, the virus, the pandemic, the fear and panic was all for nought it has all mutated into a big nothing burger. And not one of the mandate Nazis had anything to do with it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-01-22 at 09:30 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 09:42 AM   #36
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:

I once read an excellent article on Confirmation Bias. It was well thought out, but it did not tell me anything I did not already know.
Old 02-01-22, 09:47 AM   #37
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
[...]
You have been wrong and are still wrong in every way imaginable if you STILL believe that vaccine could eradicate that virus, prevent you from catching it or prevent you from spreading it.
Where did i say this?
I said it can probably be subdued like other viruses before, but never eradicated.
You can still be infected after being vaccinated, but the risk of heavy complications and dying of Covid are less, statistically. There is always this one case being (ab)used and disproportionally blown up to deny the (major) rest.
You can still spread it, with or without vaccination. I take it that the time of being infectious may be a bit shorter if you overcome it faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I once read an excellent article on Confirmation Bias. It was well thought out, but it did not tell me anything I did not already know.

Last edited by Catfish; 02-01-22 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-01-22, 03:17 PM   #38
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
The Real Reason They Want to Cancel Joe Rogan

By Alexandra DeSanctis
January 31, 2022 11:51 AM

Progressives hate free speech because they want to control what you think.

Last week, musician Neil Young issued an ultimatum: Spotify could either remove Joe Rogan’s immensely popular podcast or it could remove Young’s catalogue of music. “They can have Rogan or Young. Not both,” Young explained. The musician’s complaint came in response to what he deemed Covid-19 “misinformation” on The Joe Rogan Experience podcast, including the host’s skeptical comments about the vaccines. After giving it some thought, Spotify took down Young’s music, explaining that the supposedly objectionable content on Rogan’s podcast did not meet the threshold for removal.

Young’s lonely lament might not have succeeded in silencing Rogan, but he did manage to win himself more attention than he’s had in decades. (I can say in all sincerity that I can’t remember having heard of him until this incident.) A staff writer at the Atlantic proclaimed, “In choosing Joe Rogan over Neil Young, [Spotify] has made its new priorities clear to listeners.” Spoiler alert: The new priorities are Very Bad. A CNN op-ed, meanwhile, hailed the singer for taking “a stand against Covid-19 vaccine misinformation,” saying he had “put his finger on America’s big divide.” Young also got a bit of support from fellow C-list celebrities Joni Mitchell and Brené Brown, who joined him in Spotify self-exile.
Their virtue-signaling departures from the streaming platform were more than a little amusing. Only a truly enormous ego could conceive of the idea to withhold one’s work and effectively silence oneself until the nation’s most popular podcast host is de-platformed. But, more concerning, the incident has demonstrated the Left’s insidious view of speech.

To be sure, Joe Rogan has no absolute right to share his thoughts in a podcast on Spotify or anywhere else — though it would be silly and spineless for the platform to silence him over “misinformation.” The worst thing about left-wing demands for his removal isn’t what it would do to him; it’s what it says about how the people demanding his cancellation view his listeners.

Calls for silencing someone’s “dangerous” speech are far less about the speaker than they are about those who hear him. The impulse to cancel Rogan on the basis that he makes people feel unsafe stems from the insulting premise that his listeners are too foolish to think for themselves and must uncritically adopt whatever beliefs the podcast host tells them to. The people pushing to cancel Rogan are operating from the premise that most Americans are stupid sheep, dimwitted blank canvases onto which the intelligentsia — be it Rogan or Anthony Fauci — can project their own opinions. And the purveyors of cancel culture want their opinions to be the ones proclaimed as absolute truth.
The impulse to shut down Rogan isn’t ultimately about making him go away; it’s about controlling what his listeners believe and what they do as a result. It seems not to occur to Neil Young and his admirers that half of Rogan’s listeners might well be tuning in because they want to mock him, or because he’s entertaining, or because they want to understand how their opponents think. The assumption appears to be that every Rogan listener will necessarily adopt his every opinion and adapt their behavior accordingly, even if it means marching to their untimely death.
Thanks to this insultingly low opinion of the average American, leftists want to silence Rogan not because his views are unquestionably wrong or objectively dangerous but because they want their ideas to reign supreme, and the easiest way to do that is to silence competing claims. If the stupid masses have access to the heterodox ideas available on Rogan’s podcast, public-health officials and Covid-crazy pundits will have less power over his listeners’ beliefs and less influence over their behavior. That’s what progressives can’t stand about free speech: They want to control what Rogan can say because they want to control what we think.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/...tm_term=second

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 05:14 PM   #39
Catfish

Old 02-01-22, 05:20 PM   #40
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Well, look at that. An underwhelming NR right-wing puddle.
Old 02-02-22, 01:30 AM   #41
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:

Government Doctors.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 09:34 AM   #42
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Government Doctors.
Vast majority of doctors, actually. Push your perception bubble a little.
Old 02-02-22, 10:49 AM   #43
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Where did i say this?
I said it can probably be subdued like other viruses before, but never eradicated.
You can still be infected after being vaccinated, but the risk of heavy complications and dying of Covid are less, statistically. There is always this one case being (ab)used and disproportionally blown up to deny the (major) rest.
You can still spread it, with or without vaccination. I take it that the time of being infectious may be a bit shorter if you overcome it faster.

From reasoning people be mandated by associating a threat like the Sars-cov2 virus with the plague or a cars seat belt, or proclaiming it can be eradicated or even subdued, prevent infection, accusing the unvaxxed of not caring, soulless animals desire to deny healthcare has all been brought up before and you know it. Not one responsible or scientific fact to any of those arguments. All of it IMO stems from frightened children afraid of life and old men afraid of death banding together in what a I think any reasonable person would call an attempt at mob rule.

And yes there may be a benefit to being vaccinated. Which after having reviewed the possibilities I went ahead with it. But also in the release form printed in black and white was stated a potential for very serious short and long term side effects as well. I even had to sign a document acknowledging those FACTS. But just because I did doesn’t mean you nor I should demand anyone else to involuntarily submit to it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-02-22 at 11:01 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 12:39 PM   #44
Catfish

Not one scientific fact eh? Why ask or believe doctors when you have the internet and folks like Jo Rogan to inform yourself.

B.t.w it was not me comparing it with seat belts, i did not say it can be completly eradicated, and i do not remember soulless animals. You know it all exactly of course, and the rest of the world is unfortunately too dumb.
B.t.w. thanks for once more wrongly misquoting me with the smiley at that place to 'prove' your point.

Old 02-02-22, 01:13 PM   #45
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Not one scientific fact eh? Why ask or believe doctors when you have the internet and folks like Jo Rogan to inform yourself.

B.t.w it was not me comparing it with seat belts, i did not say it can be completly eradicated, and i do not remember soulless animals. You know it all exactly of course, and the rest of the world is unfortunately too dumb.
B.t.w. thanks for once more wrongly misquoting me with the smiley at that place to 'prove' your point.

One thing is what he says another thing is to believe what he has said.

As mentioned before I know who he is-but I do not believe what he says.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote