SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-24, 06:33 AM   #1
cookiemonste
Medic

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0
Support Specific mod/fix required before starting the game

Hey folks, long time no see.
It sure has been a while.
I wanted to give SH4 another shot but I had a ton of problems in the past.
I do remember someone telling me that I need to run a specific fix/mod before even starting the game and installing any mod.
Checked my old posts but I can't find anything, the name of the fix/mod escapes me.

My understanding is, if I don't install this mod, the game gets irreversibly broken and I have to reinstall it.

Can you help me out?

Cheers,

cookie
cookiemonste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 08:28 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonste View Post
Hey folks, long time no see.
It sure has been a while.
I wanted to give SH4 another shot but I had a ton of problems in the past.
I do remember someone telling me that I need to run a specific fix/mod before even starting the game and installing any mod.
Checked my old posts but I can't find anything, the name of the fix/mod escapes me.

My understanding is, if I don't install this mod, the game gets irreversibly broken and I have to reinstall it.

Can you help me out?

Cheers,

cookie
which version of SH4 do you intend to install? V1.1 through V1.5 Uboat missions exist.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 12:25 PM   #3
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

You're possibly speaking of the Large Address Aware fix. This allows 32 bit SH4 to recognize more memory so the biggest mods don't crash the game.

Maybe.
Old 03-13-24, 12:44 PM   #4
cookiemonste
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
which version of SH4 do you intend to install? V1.1 through V1.5 Uboat missions exist.
Right now, I am running base v1.3, as it was on disk. It's a fresh install.
I do plan on installing U-Boat missions but maybe another time, I want to focus on the US campaign for now.

Last edited by cookiemonste; 03-13-24 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-13-24, 02:46 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Since you have that 'wonnerful' disk version of v1.3, you will want to (at a minimum) do the "Official" SH4 v1.4 Game Patch, which is no longer available on the Ubisoft site, but is here on SubSim. That will do the dynamic loading of the campaign and other files, which allows the game to run smoother. Plus, you won't "lose" your home port as often in v1.4, AND the game will remember your boat's waypoints on the NavMap between sessions when you Save the game. Just remember to not make a Save on top of another. Each save should have its own name. Delete the ones you no longer need inside the game's Save / Load dialog...

Also, remember that most mods are made for v1.5 of the game, though there are several mods that will run on v1.4, such as TMO v1.7, and the FOTRSv2 mod from AOTD_MadMax, but it is in German...

P.S.: The Ubisoft US store has Wolves of the Pacific Gold Edition, which is the v1.5 of the game, and what most mods are made for. The v1.3 disk version cannot be upgraded with the Steam version, and the Ubisoft version of the "U-Boat Missions Add-On" is no longer available either. However, you could install the v1.3, upgraded to v1.4 in a folder on your hard drive, then install the v1.5 to a different folder, and be able to play both versions with different mods on them, which is what I did on one of my computers. Just remember that the 'modern' Windows OS "protects" you from yourself by restricting any alterations of a Program Files folder, including if you attempt to mod the game with JSGME, so when you do your installs, put them in a folder you create yourself, and NOT in Program Files (x86), which is what the installer defaults to. The easy way with the disk version, is it will present you with "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \Silent Hunter...", and all you have to do is edit that by deleting the "Program Files (x86)" portion from the path, and presto-change-oh, you have "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter..." as the install path...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-13-24 at 02:56 PM. Reason: P.S.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-24, 04:18 PM   #6
cookiemonste
Medic

I do have SH4 gold, should I just install U-Boat missions to patch it?
Old 03-14-24, 09:31 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

NO. That patch is for the older versions only, such as your v1.3 disk copy. The "Gold Edition" is v1.5, which is the most recent update, and includes the U-Boat Missions Add-On as part of the package. Besides, trying to add the v1.4 "update" would fail on it. You are "golden" for most any mod on the site here that you might want to use. But the Gold Edition should not need any further mods to run properly. The v1.3 did though. Just be certain you do not install the game in a Program Files folder.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-24, 03:24 PM   #8
cookiemonste
Medic

Roger, expect partrol reports from me soon!