Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-19, 06:36 AM   #1
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default TWoS CTD when starting new chapter

Hello everyone,

I've recently come back to SH5 after several years away and I'm so excited about playing the TWoS mod! It's looks really fantastic.

However, I'm running into a problem. I've started a new career in TWoS, and I've completed the first "Baltic" chapter. I then head to Kiel to "end patrol" on September 5th 1939. When I enter base I manually save the game in the bunker, exit to the main menu, then reload the save. Then I upgrade my boat, and select my new patrol mission (in this case the only one visible is "British Coastal Waters"). The problem then comes when I try to start the new patrol. The initial loading screen appears for 1-3 seconds and then the game just completely exits and I'm instantly back to my desktop.

I've been looking on the forum for the past several hours for a fix to this issue but I can't seem to find one. Is there any workaround available? Am I doing something completely wrong or missing an obvious step? I've read through all of the documentation on TWoS and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything strange.

As a note: I've looked into the Wolves of Steel 2.2 Quick Start Manual and Gameplay Tips PDF that came with the mod download but I can't seem to find the same full version of the quick start guide on the forums anywhere, just a shortened version. Being able to use the online version of the guide would be great since I could probably click on all of the links contained within the document. Right now since it's a PDF version, the links are not functioning.

My game is the Steam version - I did a fresh install of SH5 and updated it to ver. 1.2 as required before installing TWoS. My PC specs are: Intel i7 4790K with MSI GTX 970 graphics card and 16GB of RAM.

I would love to know how to fix this problem in order to accept the next mission and start my 2nd patrol. Also, any insight on what I might have done to cause the problem in the first place. Perhaps high TC usage? Saving near the port maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by PanzerDan86; 11-09-19 at 06:48 AM.
PanzerDan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 07:23 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

HIi PanzerDan86!

What is your TWoS version? Also, check this link...

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=238315

Links from included pdf documentation work just fine for me...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 12:28 PM   #3
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
HIi PanzerDan86!

My version is 2.2.16 FULL. Do I need to also add the "2.2 Update v2.2.16"?

To test again, I just deleted my previous several saves (thinking maybe they were corrupt) and headed towards Kiel again to dock and end my first patrol. When I try to start the 2nd patrol with the Coastal Waters mission requested the game crashes again. Not sure what's going on.
Old 11-09-19, 02:34 PM   #4
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Quote:
HIi PanzerDan86!

Hey Vecko,

I just read all 30 pages of that thread and sadly didn't find anyone talking about a similar problem of crashing the game when starting a new patrol.

Theoretically, could it be that my first patrol is somehow messed up and this is causing me to not be able to start a 2nd patrol after ending the first? Should I try to start a completely new career?
Old 11-09-19, 03:10 PM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerDan86 View Post
My version is 2.2.16 FULL. Do I need to also add the "2.2 Update v2.2.16"?
You don't ...When I release update v2.2.17 then you can use just an update.

Quote:
Theoretically, could it be that my first patrol is somehow messed up and this is causing me to not be able to start a 2nd patrol after ending the first? Should I try to start a completely new career?
It can be anything and I cant really say from this point what is wrong with your game without more detailed information. In these situations I usually suggest clean game reinstallation and new campaign start. But before that you can upload you Kiel bunker save and I'll check it out (you can also upload one before Kiel as well).
Old 11-09-19, 03:21 PM   #6
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Quote:
You don't ...When I release update v2.2.17 then you can use just an update.

It can be anything and I cant really say from this point what is wrong with your game without more detailed information. In these situations I usually suggest clean game reinstallation and new campaign start. But before that you can upload you Kiel bunker save and I'll check it out (you can also upload one before Kiel as well).
I figured it out Vecko! This should be interesting for you! The problem has to do with upgrading the Uboat before the mission starts:

I'm using the optional "TWOS Campaign Start_VIIB_UFlak" mod included in TWOS so that I'll have the VIIB. After I return from the Baltic I go to the upgrade guy and request to get the extended conning tower. Not the double-conning tower, just the extended one. After that, when I try to start Patrol 2, the game CTDs. However, if I DONT upgrade the conning tower the Patrol 2 will start just fine! I've tested it 3 times now, and can 100% confirm this is the reason for the CTD. Without boat upgrades, everything is fine, with them the game crashes. Interesting find!

Should I disable that mod and try using the VIIA instead? Or will this continue to happen in the future when I return from patrol and try to use renown points for upgrades?
Old 11-09-19, 03:33 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I figured it out Vecko! This should be interesting for you! The problem has to do with upgrading the Uboat before the mission starts:

I'm using the optional "TWOS Campaign Start_VIIB_UFlak" mod included in TWOS so that I'll have the VIIB. After I return from the Baltic I go to the upgrade guy and request to get the extended conning tower. Not the double-conning tower, just the extended one. After that, when I try to start Patrol 2, the game CTDs. However, if I DONT upgrade the conning tower the Patrol 2 will start just fine! I've tested it 3 times now, and can 100% confirm this is the reason for the CTD. Without boat upgrades, everything is fine, with them the game crashes. Interesting find!

Should I disable that mod and try using the VIIA instead? Or will this continue to happen in the future when I return from patrol and try to use renown points for upgrades?
OK interesting...It would be really helpful if you could upload your Kiel bunker gamesave, I have to see what is going on in order to fix the problem in furure updates! For now, you can just continue your campaign with 7B, with default or double conning tower...

EDIT:
If you dont know where your savegames are this will help...

Quote:
Before we start you should know that all SH5 gamesaves are stored in "My documents/SH5/data/cfg/SaveGames" folder and they are named something like "0000000d" or "00000001a" ect... In order to track down your gamesaves better, you should sort your gamesave folders by date modified and especially pay attention to time of gamesave creation because this is the best indicator which will help you to match your silly named gamesave folders to those shown in ingame save/load menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsue View Post
Just for info, you can confirm the actual title of the gamesave (what you typed in when you made the save) if you open "ReplayInfo.rep" file with notepad contained in that particular gamesave.

Last edited by vdr1981; 11-09-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 02:49 PM   #8
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Quote:
OK interesting...It would be really helpful if you could upload your Kiel bunker gamesave, I have to see what is going on in order to fix the problem in furure updates! For now, you can just continue your campaign with 7B, with default or double conning tower...

EDIT:
If you dont know where your savegames are this will help...
Hey Vecko,

I found the savegame file that you need. However, I've never uploaded a file on subsim. Not sure how to do it. I checked the SH5 guide thread but didn't see any tutorials on how to upload a savegame file. What would you suggest?
Old 11-11-19, 05:41 AM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hey Vecko,

I found the savegame file that you need. However, I've never uploaded a file on subsim. Not sure how to do it. I checked the SH5 guide thread but didn't see any tutorials on how to upload a savegame file. What would you suggest?
Zip/rar the folder and upload it on Mediafire or some other hosting site...

Last edited by vdr1981; 11-11-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-13-19, 08:07 AM   #10
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Panzerdan86, do you use some custom non TWoS mods by any chance because I've performed some extensive stress testing with VIIb conning tower 2 and I couldn't get any CTDs.
Any chance for that gamesave ?
Old 11-14-19, 06:35 PM   #11
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Quote:
Panzerdan86, do you use some custom non TWoS mods by any chance because I've performed some extensive stress testing with VIIb conning tower 2 and I couldn't get any CTDs.
Any chance for that gamesave ?
Hey Vecko,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I've been away on a business trip all week and didn't have the time to upload to mediafire until today. Here's the link to the savegame file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eng7k...00000d.7z/file
Old 11-14-19, 07:35 PM   #12
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hey Vecko,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I've been away on a business trip all week and didn't have the time to upload to mediafire until today. Here's the link to the savegame file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eng7k...00000d.7z/file
No problems Sir, better late than never.

But , I was able to start new patrol with enlarged conning tower on board without any issues .

What mods do you have activated in your JSGME?

Last edited by vdr1981; 11-14-19 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-16-19, 04:50 AM   #13
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Quote:
No problems Sir, better late than never.

But , I was able to start new patrol with enlarged conning tower on board without any issues .

What mods do you have activated in your JSGME?

Hey Vecko,

These are the mods that I have activated in JSGME. They appear in the following order:

TWoS Campaign Start_VIIB_UFlak
TWoS FX_Reduc. Fires and Expl._Incr. Flooding via Zones
TWoS SM Interior_Food Stocks
TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID
TWos Remove Sub Flags

I've noticed you have the sub flags in your screenshot...maybe the VIIB mod is meant to work with the flags, and if the flags are disabled it can't load the new conning tower correctly? I have them disabled...so maybe that's the issue. I'll try to activate the flags and test again.

Last edited by PanzerDan86; 11-16-19 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-16-19, 05:37 AM   #14
PanzerDan86
Seaman

Hey Vecko,

I just tested again after re-enabling the flags mod and it still immediately CTDs when I try to start a new patrol after selecting my conning tower upgrade.
Old 11-16-19, 08:52 AM   #15
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hey Vecko,

I just tested again after re-enabling the flags mod and it still immediately CTDs when I try to start a new patrol after selecting my conning tower upgrade.
Exactly the same setup but no CTD...