SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Is Silent Hunter Online the worst sub game ever?
Yes, it sucks 10 83.33%
No, it's great 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-15, 09:05 AM   #1
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
bullhorn Worst sub game ever?

Hey guys, I'm back, this time, ranting!
I have been playing SHO on and off for the past year, and I have got to admit. It sucks. I absolutely love the Wolfpack system, and how you can hunt with your friends (I hope that future SH games have that), but everything else about it pretty much sucks.

First, there are 3 screens you will be staring at the whole time; a map, a picture of the inside of a sub with a periscope, and the bridge, where you can look around and...look around. It might just be me, but it's lacking an external view, which I think is very important (view damage to sub, look above surface without periscope, etc.)

Adding to that, the game makes you pay for EVERYTHING. Fuel, weapons, upgrades, new subs, you practically need to pay to start a patrol, let alone running out of fuel in a mission (sucks, believe me)
Even SH5 was better, and I couldn't even start it!

Excuse my ranting, I just wanted to get this out. I thought that when SHO was released, it would become a sub MMO (always wanted one) but it's turned out to be a watch-your-money-go-down-the-drain game
If you want, I have a poll, so you if you like it or not, please vote.
Thanks everyone, and sorry about the ranting
Old 11-15-15, 12:32 PM   #2
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Also comment your opinion, guys. Commenting is good
Old 11-19-15, 08:59 AM   #3
Sub7
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

WoW
and i just started getting in to it...
Old 11-19-15, 09:24 AM   #4
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
WoW
and i just started getting in to it...
World of Warcraft? That's what you get sometimes with MMOs.
Old 11-19-15, 12:18 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRamius View Post
World of Warcraft? That's what you get sometimes with MMOs.
World of Warships.

Back in the Day

Old 11-19-15, 12:21 PM   #6
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
World of Warships.
Oh, oops. I immediately thought of Warcraft. Sorry, guys
Old 03-17-16, 08:38 AM   #7
U505995
Planesman

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
World of Warships.
Of course it's a terrible sub game it has no subs. I think that naval assault is a far worse game than SHO in my opinion.
Old 03-15-16, 12:38 AM   #8
Bonfleck
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3
Default Opinion

I unfortunately knew from the very 1st news of SHO that it was going to be a bust and relied on my intuition to never even bother with it. I never got to play Aces of the Deep since my life was to busy with other passions in those days. Silent hunter 1 was amazingly playable, stable and FUN. Couldn't believe I actually built a new pc just to play the pathetic silent hunter 2 (OMG It was so awful!) , Silent Hunter III with the GWX add on will possibly be the best a sub sim will ever be but its literally a time vampire that will endanger your marriage and family life, Silent Hunter IV.........GONG! (quirkiest lame AI of any video game EVER!) And Silent Hunter 5 with it's wishy washy realism, failed attempt at integrating an interactive crew and repetitive nonsense of scripted boring hurdles to overcome totally overshadowed the aesthetically pleasing advancements. I wait with baited breathe for Wolves Of The Atlantic but it seems like it's been in poorly funded development for so long I fear the worst if it's ever released. In a nutshell, we who will be forever intrigued by the submarine war of the 1930s and 40s will sadly never realize the gaming experience we truly deserve. Our only hope is the Star Trek "Holodeck" version we can program and immerse in ourselves. Maybe in another 20 years.
Old 03-15-16, 06:12 PM   #9
tris
Nub

Downloads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfleck View Post
I unfortunately knew from the very 1st news of SHO that it was going to be a bust and relied on my intuition to never even bother with it. I never got to play Aces of the Deep since my life was to busy with other passions in those days. Silent hunter 1 was amazingly playable, stable and FUN. Couldn't believe I actually built a new pc just to play the pathetic silent hunter 2 (OMG It was so awful!) , Silent Hunter III with the GWX add on will possibly be the best a sub sim will ever be but its literally a time vampire that will endanger your marriage and family life, Silent Hunter IV.........GONG! (quirkiest lame AI of any video game EVER!) And Silent Hunter 5 with it's wishy washy realism, failed attempt at integrating an interactive crew and repetitive nonsense of scripted boring hurdles to overcome totally overshadowed the aesthetically pleasing advancements. I wait with baited breathe for Wolves Of The Atlantic but it seems like it's been in poorly funded development for so long I fear the worst if it's ever released. In a nutshell, we who will be forever intrigued by the submarine war of the 1930s and 40s will sadly never realize the gaming experience we truly deserve. Our only hope is the Star Trek "Holodeck" version we can program and immerse in ourselves. Maybe in another 20 years.
Or yeah know, join the Navy?
Old 03-15-16, 08:20 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

tris!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-16-16, 12:47 AM   #11
CaptainRamius
Sonar Guy

Oh, we've got a newbie here! Welcome aboard, Tris! I hope you enjoy your stay at Hotel Subsim
Old 03-16-16, 06:21 AM   #12
tris
Nub

Downloads: 16

Thank you
Old 03-17-16, 01:29 PM   #13
KleenHippie
Swabbie

Downloads: 189
Default Yeah it is...

Good to see you again Ramius, I tried it a few times and knew right off I wasn't going to like it. Does anyone play SH5 anymore? I've just reinstalled it after building a new computer but haven't had much time to play. I know there were a lot of people playing and modding what seems like a few years ago...
Are there any sailing ship games that are worth playing? I've just finished Patrick O'Brien's series and want to check.
Old 03-17-16, 03:17 PM   #14
palmic
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 5

Vanilla SH5 for me. And the best? The same, but with modpack
Old 04-07-16, 10:26 AM   #15
Boffingham
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

SHO is a good introduction to subsims but they certainly want you to pay for everything! I would be happier with a monthly unlimited subscription than paying for every torpedo or mod.
Closed Thread