SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-24, 11:10 AM   #1726
corporalspiffy
Gunner

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscharpf View Post
Is there an AOB wheel in the OneAlex mod? I can't find it anywhere.
you have to highlight the nav or weapons officer and then the disc pop up
iablshipsfornygm
3rdflotillamod
nygm_hires_subs
ahnenerbe
corporalspiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-24, 03:14 PM   #1727
jscharpf
Frogman

Downloads: 294

Thanks! I will try that.
On another note, has anyone tried to make ANY modifications to the h.sie Steibler files?
What I mean is if I want to change just ONE thing from the hsie selections (maybe turn off WO inaccuracy etc.) ..
No matter what I do, when I try use it, my game crashes when launching into the sea.
I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but I've tried several ways..
1) Copy the sh3.exe into the support folder, run the hie options and make the changes.
2) copy this new sh3.exe into the Steibler folder, moving this folder into the MODS folder of the game, and enabling this mod.
result is a CTD on launch into the sea (game runs until I spawn in).
I've also tried directly overwriting the sh3.exe.. same thing.
I've also tried running that batch file on the sh3.exe first.. same thing.

My backup is that I kept a copy of the original sh3.exe so it's not a big deal but I am wondering what I'm doing wrong, as I've used the h.sie mods in previous versions of (GWX with vanilla game etc.)

Anyone have ideas or if you've successfully changed something in the hsie selector options can you tell me step by step how you did it?

Jeff
jscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-24, 03:14 PM   #1728
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

This is a general observation for Onealex users who experience long loading times. This is not a critique, Onealex himself notes the issue of long loading times in his English language manual for his Mod.

Typically it took some 22-minutes to load Onealex version 1.53, which was a bit better than the 26-minutes to load the last edition of Fifi's Steel Coffins Mod. Both are spectacular Mods but the long loading times cause great inconvenience and so tend to limit their use in my world.

Tweaking the settings on my NVidia card did nothing and then on a whim I tried compressing the entire Onealex SH-III folder using the space-saving compression utility that ships with Win-7 (and presumably later versions of the OS).

Compressing the folder took about 40-minutes but now loading is accomplished in slightly under 16-minutes, a reduction of more than 25%. Moreover, everything seems to work as intended and I even resumed a saved career that had not been compressed.

So, if excessive loading times are keeping you from trying either of these awesome SH-III mods, try compressing the entire game folder, including all files and sub-folders and see if there is any improvement in the time spent waiting for that damn status bar to complete its damnably slow crawl to the right.

Good Hunting.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-24, 05:51 PM   #1729
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
This is a general observation for Onealex users who experience long loading times. This is not a critique, Onealex himself notes the issue of long loading times in his English language manual for his Mod.

Typically it took some 22-minutes to load Onealex version 1.53, which was a bit better than the 26-minutes to load the last edition of Fifi's Steel Coffins Mod. Both are spectacular Mods but the long loading times cause great inconvenience and so tend to limit their use in my world.

Tweaking the settings on my NVidia card did nothing and then on a whim I tried compressing the entire Onealex SH-III folder using the space-saving compression utility that ships with Win-7 (and presumably later versions of the OS).

Compressing the folder took about 40-minutes but now loading is accomplished in slightly under 16-minutes, a reduction of more than 25%. Moreover, everything seems to work as intended and I even resumed a saved career that had not been compressed.

So, if excessive loading times are keeping you from trying either of these awesome SH-III mods, try compressing the entire game folder, including all files and sub-folders and see if there is any improvement in the time spent waiting for that damn status bar to complete its damnably slow crawl to the right.

Good Hunting.

-C
Interesting...

Never try that "compression", never think it admits the compressed program could work....

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-24, 03:13 AM   #1730
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
-C
Loading times varies on each one’s PC, depending the PC performance/power first, the programs running in background second, if the disk capacity is full or not, and viruses or not…
I’m using a dedicated machine very clean only for my mod, almost empty and not connected to internet, with an SSD memory. It takes me up to 8mn in the worst cases to load career game. Can save everywhere even underwater close to convoys! …

Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-24, 08:32 AM   #1731
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

I can concur with Fifi, as my load times for NYGM currently is about 6 minutes to load it up on a SSD. It takes a tad longer for GWX with CCoM taken the longest at 8 minutes. WAC 5.0 loads about the same time as NYGM.

My frame rates run about 60 to 80 fps on average.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-24, 04:07 AM   #1732
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Loading times are very much depending on the hardware. Like Fubar and Fifi explained. I recently upgraded my PC as I was fed up with long loading times in sh3 and other games. A campaign in Fifi's mod now reloads in 1m 45 sec........ I get around 290 FPS in outside view. Which is of course overkill. Like Fubar pointed out SSD is important.

Last edited by rik007; 02-03-24 at 04:18 AM.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-24, 11:49 AM   #1733
corporalspiffy
Gunner

Downloads: 177

great mod.

i find it frustrating to flip through the recognition manual. in another mod there were images of vessels with data that popped up on the left side of the screen. is it possible to download this mod somewhere?

also. how do you move the recognition and the text window around? the text overlays the recognition manual. i seem to recall that this was possible in other versions of the game.

thanks
iablshipsfornygm
3rdflotillamod
nygm_hires_subs
ahnenerbe
corporalspiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-24, 01:26 PM   #1734
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

For some reason, I can load the Tutorials just fine, but whenever I start a career, it crashes after the loading screen. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-24, 09:40 PM   #1735
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Kapitan_Phillips!... after a six-year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-24, 12:03 AM   #1736
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Kapitan_Phillips!... after a six-year silent run!
Now look what you've done, everyone knows I'm here!
Old 02-18-24, 10:30 AM   #1737
JosefLaser
Nub

Downloads: 11

Hi. I installed Onealex v1.53 and when I click on Museum it loads the status loading bar to 100%, hangs for several minutes, then crashes to desktop. Is there a fix? I'm on default settings with no mods installed. A vanilla installation of SH3 (non-Onealex) loads the museum fine. All installation procedures were followed including Win7 compatibility settings. I'm on an OLED 4K 65" TV with gsync/VRR. Thanks for any help.
JosefLaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-24, 06:39 PM   #1738
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosefLaser View Post
Hi. I installed Onealex v1.53 and when I click on Museum it loads the status loading bar to 100%, hangs for several minutes, then crashes to desktop. Is there a fix? I'm on default settings with no mods installed. A vanilla installation of SH3 (non-Onealex) loads the museum fine. All installation procedures were followed including Win7 compatibility settings. I'm on an OLED 4K 65" TV with gsync/VRR. Thanks for any help.
Well...It is difficult to load the museum with so many ships...

In my PC, the museum loads well with OneAlex, but If I add the Kyle´s Merchant Fleet mode (lite or full), the Museum crashes. You need a powerful machine.

Good luck.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-24, 08:21 PM   #1739
JosefLaser
Nub

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Well...It is difficult to load the museum with so many ships...

In my PC, the museum loads well with OneAlex, but If I add the Kyle´s Merchant Fleet mode (lite or full), the Museum crashes. You need a powerful machine.

Good luck.

Fitzcarraldo
Well, the good news first: I got the Museum to load with Onealex without crashes.

The bad news: it takes 7-8 minutes to load the museum lol and I'm on a 10-core 5GHz Intel. GWX 3.0 Gold "vanilla" loads the museum in about a minute. A question: I think I'm biting off more than I can chew with the hardcore aspects of this mod so I'd like to get up to speed with the vanilla game first. Is is possible to transfer One Alex's excellent 1920 X 1080 widescreen gui into vanilla or is it hardcoded into onealex?

Last edited by JosefLaser; 02-19-24 at 09:34 AM.
JosefLaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-24, 01:13 PM   #1740
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

JosefLaser!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote