SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-23, 07:38 AM   #5386
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
@propbeanie thanks for the tips. Yeah, it seems by exiting game and relaunching, I can reset those issues. Also I have the following observations/suggestions:

1. I don't think it's historical accurate that S-class can use Mk14 torpedoes. The weapon was too long for their tubes.

2. I remember for some of the larger boats such as Tambor class, you can access deck, conic tower and command room. However, with the interior mod, the quick key command for conic tower is disabled. You can still access it but you just need manually move there. (is that correct?)

3. In Propoise class, there is radio overhead that you can use. But I could find similar radio in Tambor any more.

4. On mission 2 of my Asiatic Fleet campaign, I was instructed to go to an area and wait for orders. Once I get there, I was told simply to sink ships. I wondered around for a few days but couldn't find any ships. I traveled around a bit and finally found a Nikita Maru and sank it, but the mission still shows incomplete. What can I do to complete the mission?
As for 1., you have found another "Easter Egg", courtesy the SH4 devs. For whatever reason, the game cannot tell the difference between the two types of torpedo tubes, and loads the first-named torpedo in the Weapons file. Since we don't want full load-outs of Mark 10s on the fleetboats, the Mark 14 is named first. Hence, when you empty your S-Boat's stores and then come back in, the "automatic load" will pull the Mark 14s from "inventory". If instead you stop somewhere (including your home port), and re-stock your stores yourself, BEFORE docking, it will replace your torpedoes with what you had when you left originally. This can have an advantage later when you have a fleeboat and purchase a custom set of torpedoes, and want to keep that same loadout, just restock before docking, and you'll have the same load-out when you go to leave for your next assignment. But definitely strange behavior to be aware of.

#2 is necessary for the functionality of the "free travel" from compartment to compartment, and therefore, the hot keys and buttons do not function the same. The interior is the whole interior. You are correct in your assumption that you do have to move there. Like so many aspects of the game, the devs only coded in one or two ways to do things, either/or, and not both...

As for #3, each of the boats, especially with vickers03's Interiors are different, and the radio will be found in different places. For some of the boats, you might have to use the shortcut keys, or the button to access the radio, since the "radio room" (not at all accurate anyway) was removed when the Officer's Country portion of the Interiors was built. On most of the fleetboats, the radio room was right behind the control room, and they could pipe the audio into the MC1 throughout the boat. That room is not modeled yet in the Interiors mod, so on the Tambor (and most of the boats), go into the Officer's Mess, and above the cabinets on the after bulkhead in there, to the left (oops! sorry - "starboard" side), is the radio for mouse manipulation. For the menu buttons, click on the "movie camera" button, and then on the shortwave radio button. In both cases, the radio is a little "box" in the lower-right of a map image that will display.

#4 is another unexplained mysteries of the game... almost like they wrote the manual for the game before they knew what the game could (or could not) do. Besides that, it was two different teams that apparently did not have each other's phone numbers to talk and find out what the other had... We call those "Sink" missions, since they are named like "Sink Sulu Sea 01" and the like. In any case, they are all the same in that you are instructed to proceed immediately to a given area. Once you get close to the marking "star", you then receive the "Sink all you can find. Skipper has autonomy", or similar. What the game insinuates is "sink anything anywhere", so you are free to roam about the cabin - er, world. Where ever you can find a ship, you can go and sink them. The stock game had it to where you had to sink 10,000 tons. In FotRSU, that figure for the most part is 5,000 tons. If the ship you sank is a Nittoku Maru, it is 6450 tons, so you may have found one of the few missions still set to 10,000 tons to sink, so you have to sink at least one more ship to fulfill the requirements. The part I don't much like about the Sink missions, is that you have to fulfill its requirements before you can radio in a Status Update and get another assignment, but that is the "shakes" of the game. Go find another target of at least 3550 tons - IF you want to fulfill the Objective. If by chance, it still does not fulfill, look at where the original assignment star was, and let us know, so we can track the bugger down, please!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 07:54 AM   #5387
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5
Default JP sonar as a upgrade pack?

As this document said, The JP sonar should appear in late 1942, but in this mod it has been installed for all boats from the very beginning. So in the future version of FotRSU, is that possible to make it an upgrade pack and player could purchase it at the proper time?

Reference: http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/J/p/JP_sonar.htm
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 09:52 AM   #5388
propbeanie

Those were supposed to be "showing" in the v1.8 of the mod, but someone grabbed the old set of files... sigh - the JP is active on most boats from the start, but the 3D "artwork" is missing on most boats. This is rectified in the next version, but there will be no "purchases" per se, just regular, routine "upgrade" via the upc files and the date structure.

Old 04-22-23, 10:31 AM   #5389
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Those were supposed to be "showing" in the v1.8 of the mod, but someone grabbed the old set of files... sigh - the JP is active on most boats from the start, but the 3D "artwork" is missing on most boats. This is rectified in the next version, but there will be no "purchases" per se, just regular, routine "upgrade" via the upc files and the date structure.
Good news! happy to see "T-head" model of JP sonar system coming back~

But why not "purchases"? It will be fun to buy new sonar at base, like the radars. If no purchases, how can player get new equipment during career campaign?
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-23, 11:18 AM   #5390
propbeanie

It will show based upon the date. While the JP was "ordered" into use in 22d February, 1942, getting into the field and into use took a while, but as boats rotated in, it was added, so that is the way we've done it in FotRSU. As a little side note, besides the JP being activated from the beginning in the mod (done to reduce confusion for the player), there was an oversight as to the "H" node that the subs used. Some boats have H01-H04, with the first and last being the under hull-mount, and the 2 & 3 being the deck-mounted points. However, just like with the R01-R04 nodes for radar, there was minimal consistency in their use. Combine that with various mods and the combining of the same for other mods, and some of the boats use the H04 node (Starboard head) for the mounting of the JP "T"... so you would have to use the external camera, go below, and then inside the hull, to be able to "see" the rotating JP "T"... They should be pointing to node H02... lol

Old 04-23-23, 09:53 AM   #5391
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

@propbeanie I was able to complete that mission. The Nikitoku Maru is only 3700 tons. So I sank another 8k+ ton maru and mission was complete. It would be great if they make it clear how many tons needed to complete the mission in the future.

I am currently using "more duds" mod, but felt Mk14's success rate is still too high. So if I want to swap in "alotdudz" mod, do I need to restart my campaign?

Also another bug, not sure it's from stock game or something introduced by the mods:
1. "No1 Motor Torpedo Boat" is undetectable on sonar.

Last edited by Wolfcat; 04-24-23 at 11:07 AM.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-23, 03:35 PM   #5392
propbeanie

More Duds is just a pinch worse than what the Stock game does. The Original FOTRS Duds is more than that, frustrating, but not near enough, eh? So yes, Lotsa should be an "improvement". Yes, you can enable it without starting a new career, but only in between patrols in-base. So come in from patrol, do a Save game, exit. JSGME the mod, and re-start the game, load your Save, and off you go!

As for the torpedo boat, we broke that between 1.7 and 1.8 - maybe. I can't seem to get any of my SH4 installs to run just now... hmmm - I do remember being in Sibutu Strait one dark night, and getting cornered by two of them, and an Otori coming along later to help (I had sunk a freighter near there), so I had to surface, Ahead Flank and run right at the closest PT, guns a-blazing and make for deep water... without sonar, I would have been sunk. That No.1 MTB is from keltos01. We have added to the Japanese MTB line-up for the next release with the T-51 boats, and thus far, sound works on them both now.

Old 04-25-23, 07:48 AM   #5393
Wolfcat
Chief

@propbeanie Thanks for the tips and explanation. I found another few "bugs" or weirdness:

1. One of the Japanese twin-engine bombers can be detected on Sonar. It looks like the Betty Bomber (I don't know how many different twin-engine Japanese bombers are modeled in game or mod). The green sonar light would come up and you can hear engine humming (like an electric motor). I have encountered and verified this multiple times.

2. Airplanes can be detected by SJ radars (at close range). I always thought SJ radars are for surface contacts only.
Old 04-25-23, 04:52 PM   #5394
propbeanie

You're not hearing the Betty on sonar, you are hearing the torpedo they dropped at you!...

SJ could detect some air contacts, if they got low and close enough. The "band" is a pinch wide in SH4, but it has to be, since the game doesn't do the pitch and roll and "aiming" with the radar so well. We could narrow the band down more, so that it would be more like "real life", but then we would get complaints of "my SJ isn't working!" because as you go through the waves, the angle of the radar band going our shoots higher or lower from where the "targets" are...

Old 04-25-23, 06:58 PM   #5395
Wolfcat
Chief

Quote:
You're not hearing the Betty on sonar, you are hearing the torpedo they dropped at you!...
Hmm... the airplane had its ass pointed at me though. Why would it fire a torp away from me? Anyway, I will test it out next time and report it back.

It would be great if the AI can have two different types of radar contact reports. Like when crew calls out "radar contact", the message below would show either SD or SJ in text. Right now when the AI crew report radar contact, it would be hard to determine whether it's surface or air contact sometimes, especially when the aircraft is getting detected by SJ radar as well. I know it's stupid of Ubisoft to have SD radar but there is no radar scope for a player to see.
Old 04-25-23, 07:43 PM   #5396
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
oh, that's what that sound is!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-23, 08:37 AM   #5397
Wolfcat
Chief

1. For Betty and torp thing, I am pretty sure there is no torp dropped from Betty. a. the sound appears when Betty is still beyond visual range. Back then there was no guided torp. b. the bearing shift matches exactly that of the airplane itself. It feels as if the "torp" is hanging into the water by the airplane with a rope attached to it. But anyways, this is not a huge issue

2. Random damages to the boat when loading a save. The boat was perfectly fine. When I came back to play the game and loaded the save, whole bunch of damages showed up.
Old 04-26-23, 09:11 AM   #5398
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
1. For Betty and torp thing, I am pretty sure there is no torp dropped from Betty. a. the sound appears when Betty is still beyond visual range. Back then there was no guided torp. b. the bearing shift matches exactly that of the airplane itself. It feels as if the "torp" is hanging into the water by the airplane with a rope attached to it. But anyways, this is not a huge issue

2. Random damages to the boat when loading a save. The boat was perfectly fine. When I came back to play the game and loaded the save, whole bunch of damages showed up.
Your symptoms are sounding more like a messed-up config somewhere in the activation... a few questions:
1. What is the path to the SH4 install you modded with FotRSU?
2. Can you use JSGME to do "Tasks..." "Export activated mod list to ->" "Clipboard", and then post on here with that by using <Ctrl><V> to paste it into that posting?
3. Had you deleted the Save folder, using Windows File Explorer to navigate to C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" (by default unless changed by MultiSH4) prior to playing the modded game?
4. Had you attempted to read any of the pdf files in the Support folder for install / activation help?
There are 3 main Betty plane varieties in FotRSU. One is the torpedo bomber that if it sees you, will spiral down to wave top level and drop its torpedo, then come and attempt to strafe you. If you dive too soon, it might fly over your location and come back for multiple strafing passes. Next is the level bomber Betty that carries regular impact bombs, ranging in size from 100kg to 500kb. Lastly, is the ASW variety that carries either all depth charges, or a mix of depth charges and impact bombs. In all cases, they are "programmed" to do multiple passes, usually at least strafing, and dropping ordnance dependent upon where you are and what you are doing at the time of their initial attack run. There is a fourth version of the Betty that shows after October, 1944 that carries the Ohka rocket bomb, which can be quite deadly to all vessels... but let us know the above.

Old 04-26-23, 12:22 PM   #5399
Wolfcat
Chief

@propbeanie Thanks for helping me looking into this.

1. Path of installation:

D:\Users\{user_name}\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\ common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Users\{user_name}\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\ common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Nihon Kaigun v1.3a_FotRSU
Combined Roster
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar
801_UMark Invisible
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
650_MoreDudz
851_Red_FotRSU_Logo

3. Yes, I had deleted the Save folder per instruction

4. Yes, but clueless on how to fix it.

I didn't know there were multiple types of Betty. Let me test it out and report back.
Old 04-26-23, 02:57 PM   #5400
propbeanie

Hmmm... that D:\Users \Username folder, is that something you created, or did you move your Documents folders etc off of your C: drive? Windows does protect folders in what it considers "system" folders, such as Program Files folders, but it had been known to put its sticky fingers in other folders, such as My Documents... but not everyone's computer is like that. What kind of cpu and how much RAM do you have in your computer? Do you know what level your User Access Control (UAC) is set to? Are you playing other mods in another SH4 install? If you right-click on your SH4.exe file in the game folder, then left-click on Properties, on the first "General" tab, there is a "Read-only" tick box. Is that clear or have a check mark in it?