SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-22, 11:21 AM   #4486
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
The revised final released 9/28/2021.

Wish you could double the sonar scan rate like FotRSU... Gets rather monotonous/tedius waiting for such a slow 360 scan rate every time I do a sonar scan. My technique of playing at the start in 1941 once within a patrol area is to patrol at accelerated time speed to maybe x32 or x64 for 30 minutes advance then revert to x1 and do a sonar scan... rinse, repeat, until I find a sonar signal to home in on. Then make a bee line for it at full speed until I get an on-map sonar trace.

Once I find a viable target, I play out the battle almost full time x1. Some of my intercept battles take me 3 or 4 hours real time to resolve... Realism for the battles themselves. I'm retired so I can enjoy the process...

We operate in a similar manner, I use TC sparingly and operate according to the era...early war I am submerged in daylight when in operate era, sonar scans etc. In a attack, TC is rarely used. I leave a patrol running as have a desktop use just for SH 4, only time reload a saved game is rare time when power goes out, rare CTD etc. I also run about half of my patrols without map contact updates,.

Far as the sonar scan, I will consider it. I would have to find out how to change the rotation speed lol but for realism purposes, speed seems correct and is okay with me, although it does seem a bit slow at times. If I recall the sound heads were rotated by hand (there is even a rotating handle on the console lol) and as such speed seems appropriate. Plus, gives time to thoroughly scan.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 10:02 PM   #4487
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
We operate in a similar manner, I use TC sparingly and operate according to the era...early war I am submerged in daylight when in operate era, sonar scans etc. In a attack, TC is rarely used. I leave a patrol running as have a desktop use just for SH 4, only time reload a saved game is rare time when power goes out, rare CTD etc. I also run about half of my patrols without map contact updates,.

Far as the sonar scan, I will consider it. I would have to find out how to change the rotation speed lol but for realism purposes, speed seems correct and is okay with me, although it does seem a bit slow at times. If I recall the sound heads were rotated by hand (there is even a rotating handle on the console lol) and as such speed seems appropriate. Plus, gives time to thoroughly scan.

re: sonar scan speed realism... IRL you would have a dedicated sonar man calling out contacts as they are found... not so in SH4, other than those contacts already close by, so I look at the increased sonar scan speed as making up for the 30 minutes gaps between scans. In any case, if you find how to do it, you could make it an optional add-on mod so that those who want the slow torture realism can keep at it. LOL

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 09:13 AM   #4488
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Recognition Manual Error

The RM entry for the Soyo shows a picture of the Medium Cooler. However, when my crew IDs a ship as a Soya, the ship appears to be a Medium Heavy Load Freighter (I think). The tonnage awarded is appropriately in the 9100 ton range, whereas the Cooler is more like 3,000 or so. Sinking the Soyo gives the proper displacement credit - I think it only a picture issue in the RM. But it does confuse my crew.

This is small thing in the greater scheme of things.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 11:09 AM   #4489
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Confirmed:

The Medium Cooler (NL_B) is very similar to the Soyo Maru (NL_C) in appearance. The main difference of course, is the superstructure of the NL_B is aft-mounted (that doesn't sound right...) and the Soyo Maru is midship. They have the same hull. In my current install, it looks like the Soyo Maru does use the NL_B image. It looks like you are using the latest / greatest Nippon Maru and Nihon Kaigun versions, but be sure you are using the newest Combined Rosters file from the mods. We've put the bloodhound on the trail of this... For now, here is

JP_SoyoMaru_fix.7z

Put this on top of all that you have, and it will copy an NL_C sil file named "JP_SoyoMaru_sil.dds" into the SoyoMaru folder, and you should be golden...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 05:20 PM   #4490
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Confirmed:

The Medium Cooler (NL_B) is very similar to the Soyo Maru (NL_C) in appearance. The main difference of course, is the superstructure of the NL_B is aft-mounted (that doesn't sound right...) and the Soyo Maru is midship. They have the same hull. In my current install, it looks like the Soyo Maru does use the NL_B image. It looks like you are using the latest / greatest Nippon Maru and Nihon Kaigun versions, but be sure you are using the newest Combined Rosters file from the mods. We've put the bloodhound on the trail of this... For now, here is

JP_SoyoMaru_fix.7z

Put this on top of all that you have, and it will copy an NL_C sil file named "JP_SoyoMaru_sil.dds" into the SoyoMaru folder, and you should be golden...
Thanks to everyone who has spotted this.
this fix, and others inplace, updates arriving very soon.
Old 04-04-22, 06:49 PM   #4491
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Default Campaign

I started in The Philippines', eventually transferred to Brisbane. Did 4 patrols from there into the Solomons. Applied for transfer (tried every available port option as well) and every time I select the start mission board I get the Solomons again, even in early 43. Have I done something wrong?

Frank
Old 04-04-22, 11:20 PM   #4492
propbeanie

Nope. "Normal behavior" unfortunately Torpex77. Pick the base you want to go to, and do the Solomon's mission, and once you dock at the new base, you'll be fine. This is what happened when Ubi & the devs "fixed" the old "repeating missions" problem. Back when, if you were based at Brisbane, and asked for a transfer to Fremantle, you would start at Brisbane and "work" your way to your new base, getting your assignment as you left base. The way the game works now though, is that you are given your next mission assignment when you come back in and dock the boat from your previous patrol. Since you are at Brisbane, you are assigned from that pool, so that ID and mission stay with you when you move to the next base for just that next assignment. The Brisbane boats patrol anywhere along the Solomon chain, up to and including the equator over New Guinea. So if you choose Fremantle, your boat IMMEDIATELY goes to Fremantle, but since you were assigned from the Brisbane mission pool, you might have to go to Savo Island for an Objective, and ~then~ go dock at Fremantle for your new home. It is advisable to stop at Brisbane for re-fueling enroute. If you put in for Dutch Harbor, that would eat up a goodly portion of your time just traveling both ways... It is advisable to plan your routing via US_NavalBases... There is an alternative, and it is the old standby "Just Do As You Please", ignore the brass, and go sink some ships and then go to your new home... but just a quirk of v1.5

Old 04-05-22, 10:35 PM   #4493
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Nope. "Normal behavior" unfortunately Torpex77. Pick the base you want to go to, and do the Solomon's mission, and once you dock at the new base, you'll be fine. This is what happened when Ubi & the devs "fixed" the old "repeating missions" problem. Back when, if you were based at Brisbane, and asked for a transfer to Fremantle, you would start at Brisbane and "work" your way to your new base, getting your assignment as you left base. The way the game works now though, is that you are given your next mission assignment when you come back in and dock the boat from your previous patrol. Since you are at Brisbane, you are assigned from that pool, so that ID and mission stay with you when you move to the next base for just that next assignment. The Brisbane boats patrol anywhere along the Solomon chain, up to and including the equator over New Guinea. So if you choose Fremantle, your boat IMMEDIATELY goes to Fremantle, but since you were assigned from the Brisbane mission pool, you might have to go to Savo Island for an Objective, and ~then~ go dock at Fremantle for your new home. It is advisable to stop at Brisbane for re-fueling enroute. If you put in for Dutch Harbor, that would eat up a goodly portion of your time just traveling both ways... It is advisable to plan your routing via US_NavalBases... There is an alternative, and it is the old standby "Just Do As You Please", ignore the brass, and go sink some ships and then go to your new home... but just a quirk of v1.5
No Problem! Thanks for the clarification. I'll just simulate FDR sent me on a personal Mission..somewheres LOL
Old 04-06-22, 10:23 AM   #4494
propbeanie

No sir! Higher authority that FDR is required... MacArthur is "Supreme Commander"...

Old 04-06-22, 03:03 PM   #4495
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
No sir! Higher authority that FDR is required... MacArthur is "Supreme Commander"...
not on submarine operations, sir.
Dugout Doug never had any control over submarine operations. Ever. NFW.
Marshall conned Ernie King to designate a couple of rowboats and a canoe as the Seventh Fleet for MacArthur to call his own. It stayed that way until the Philippines Campaign in 1944 when the USN had to designate some actual warships to support Dugout and his return.

There is a USN legend that says that when Dugout was ordered out of Corregidor, the USN offered to take him and his family to Australia via submarine. Straight shot all the way to Melbourne.

Dugout wanted nothing to do with a sub, so we had to cook up the PT-boat thing to Mindanao and thence to an Army air base in order to fly him to Darwin and thence to train(s) to Melbourne.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 05:05 PM   #4496
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
not on submarine operations, sir.
Dugout Doug never had any control over submarine operations. Ever. NFW.
Marshall conned Ernie King to designate a couple of rowboats and a canoe as the Seventh Fleet for MacArthur to call his own. It stayed that way until the Philippines Campaign in 1944 when the USN had to designate some actual warships to support Dugout and his return.

There is a USN legend that says that when Dugout was ordered out of Corregidor, the USN offered to take him and his family to Australia via submarine. Straight shot all the way to Melbourne.

Dugout wanted nothing to do with a sub, so we had to cook up the PT-boat thing to Mindanao and thence to an Army air base in order to fly him to Darwin and thence to train(s) to Melbourne.

I was just thinking the other day while modding TMO with early war missions to Corregidor such as Trout, Seawolf etc. Why did Dougie not hitch a ride via submarine? Would have been a safer way to evacuate than PT boat and aircraft.

Legend makes sense though, sounds like a total Dougie move.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 05:47 PM   #4497
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I was just thinking the other day while modding TMO with early war missions to Corregidor such as Trout, Seawolf etc. Why did Dougie not hitch a ride via submarine? Would have been a safer way to evacuate than PT boat and aircraft.

Legend makes sense though, sounds like a total Dougie move.

Why did Dougie not hitch a ride via submarine? Dugout Doug was scared s#itless of boats. Of the ocean. Of boats on the ocean. Read any story about DD and it will relate how he never got his "sea legs".

subs were beyond his ken. why would anyone purposely sink a boat and think that they could travel anywhere in it? Madness!!

so, in the end, here are Dugout's choices: Sea Sickness vs Certain Death?

LAA enabled
Old 04-06-22, 06:54 PM   #4498
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default April 1943 Narwhal Mission to Attu

hey PB,

i thought i had posted this issue previously however i cannot find it so please pardon my repetition.

driving the Narwhal, out of Pearl, April 1943.
Received the 194305NarwAttu.mis assignment.
We shove off and along the way we receive all of the H-Day delay messages, the Jap TF message, then the all-clear message.
the date was May 7 or 8, we were sitting approx 30 miles east the Group 1 dropoff location, just waiting.
i decided to pull within a day or so sailing of the dropoff site.
when we got approx 25 mi away, the PC rattled for a moment and then CTD.
it happened twice, same conditions, except that the first time we were due north of the drop zone rather than east.
the common element is that when we close to within 20-25 miles, CTD.

any ideas on this?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7pRC2
399_NoScrollNavMap
400_Nihon Kaigun v1.1b
410_Nippon Maru v1.6c
420_Combined Roster

LAA enabled
Old 04-07-22, 08:54 AM   #4499
propbeanie

Yes, we do have that KM, thanks. You sent it via PM. Like a few other missions, it is "sharing" a MapZone for both an Objective and a Trigger, which usually just makes the Objective impossible to complete, but a CTD would not surprise me. Does it happen when you are about 12nm from the "Wait" location symbol?

Old 04-07-22, 03:28 PM   #4500
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Yes, we do have that KM, thanks. You sent it via PM. Like a few other missions, it is "sharing" a MapZone for both an Objective and a Trigger, which usually just makes the Objective impossible to complete, but a CTD would not surprise me. Does it happen when you are about 12nm from the "Wait" location symbol?
my apologies, i couldn't find the exchange in the PM box either. may be i deleted it (it seems like i am always at 99% utilization ).

the CTD happens a bit further than 12 nm from the Wait Pennant Symbol...more like 20-25 nm.

can i remove the "holding objective" without ruining the other objectives and the mission?
addendum: apparently, removing the Hold Area Objective, Triggers, and Zone does not make this mission playable. it still CTDs as we close the landing area.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 04-07-22 at 11:23 PM.