SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-22, 05:49 PM   #5191
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Tambor and Gar technically are the same boat class, but SH4 shows them as two. The Tambor Class was first, in 1939, with small revisions for 1940's Gar (class) boats. Both boats are UpgradeClass=2 boats, so Tambor to Gar cannot come via "upgrade", but only via the Tambor leaving a port and the Tambor remaining as a cross-grade class. I do not remember that being in FotRSU anywhere, though lurker used that technique in OM and RSRDC. The failure for a conning tower upgrade is a game failure through and through, no matter if an Ally boat or an Axis boat. They can happen, but very seldom. However, an upgrade to a Gato and then early Balao or Tench are entirely too common.
Despite the fact that the Tambor is the earlier edition of Gar, SH4 models the Gar with the Tambor files. Bulgarian programmers.
and...
i set the Upgrade Class of Gato, Balao, and Tench to 2, which is the Gar class, and then set Tambor to 3, so that the only upgrade possibility would be from Gar to Tambor, which are essentially the same boat.

the goal was to force () a conning tower upgrade with a boat that had four conning towers. it was a fine goal, to be sure, but it failed.

Quote:
You mention "... after the tower upgrade, we were offered fore and aft 40's..." so you DID get a conning tower upgrade from the game, or only after editing the Save file?
The 40's became available AFTER i performed the manual conning tower upgrade because it was 1944 AND the boat had the 1944 conning tower.

in the previous career, with the Gar, the 40's were not available, hence the need to upgrade the tower.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-22, 09:21 PM   #5192
!!HansGruber!!
Watch

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

I am noticing an issue with the APR added to the boat that the SJ radar is barely functional. Even though radar is on and range is set to max I will detect ships via the hydrophones before radar, if they ever show on radar. I never had this issue before adding the APR. I thought maybe the APR added too much to the workload of the crew when not at GQ but can't go around at GQ all the time. SD radar seems to be working fine. Is this a known issue or are others experiencing as well? Mod set is as follow:

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8=1
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=2
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN=3
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch=4
Nihon Kaigun v1.2_FotRSU=5
Nippon_Maru_v1.9_FotRSU=6
Combined Roster=7
399_OAKsHudGauges=8
650_MoreDudz=9
!!HansGruber!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-22, 12:08 AM   #5193
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The hydrophone reaches out the furthest of all of the sensors. The APR is the next longest, followed by the radar, then visual. The game can only use one sensor at a time, so if in visual contact, your radar and hydrophone do not pick-up that visual target. You might notice also, that different situations will have different settings on the radar be more or less efficient than the other settings, and that sometimes, the "roll-of-the-dice" will skip multiple sweeps in a row (situationally dependent), such that you might go fifteen minutes without a radar contact, in spite of you knowing there should be a contact. That is part of the game. The APR does not affect the radar at all. However, the added bandwidth of the APR may be affecting your computer and the Time Compression efficiency. The busier an area is, the more the APR picks-up, and throw in all of the "Sonar contact...", "Radar signals detected...", "Radar contact..." and "Ship spotted...", and before long you get "We're under attack sir!!!" In my experience, after the APR is added, you basically cut your ability to use TC in about 1/2. If you were able to do 256x in a busy area before APR, you might only be able to do 128x now.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 10:36 PM   #5194
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default why did this change?

so, i started a new career with a Cachalot out of Pearl, December 1941.

first mission assignment was the Marshalls, the mission with three separate, patrol objectives spanning 10 days, maybe two weeks.

without warning, the ahead standard keys and ahead full keys no longer work.
the other three work fine, just the 3 key and 4 key do not work. when i click them, the order is repeated but speed drops to zero.
+++
i know what you are thinking: mod soup.
however, i ran my previous mission driving a Tambor on like her 12th mission and no problem with any key.
+++
so, i did the mod soup fix.
restarted the mission from Pearl...problem remains...no action on those two keys.
if i click on the ETO, same result as the keystrokes.
if i click on the knot indicator, then i can ring up whatever speed i wish.
+++
this thing that is puzzling is that everything worked in the previous career and mission and i made no changes to Commands.Cfg...or any other game file for that matter.

i put up with the annoyance for the first mission and did not notice any other disfunction with any other key.

so, what do you think?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
200 Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
300 Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
400_Combined Roster
450_NoScrollNavMap
501 Lite_fog_ V2+Slow_water
550_Jimimadrid Sailors for FotRSU

LAA enabled
Old 12-18-22, 10:02 PM   #5195
propbeanie

Bad Save data usually. What does the "501 Lite_fog_ V2+Slow_water" change? That is not one of our mods. Slow water is liable to "slow boat"...

Generally speaking, if a boat drops to All Stop with Ahead Standard, it will do it with all settings. I have never heard of only 2 of 4 commands doing that, unless you have two of the four diesel engines damaged, and is irreparable. Check your damage screen, and do an outside check on your props. If you have bad Save data, a possible way around it to get home would be to set a course on the NavMap, and that should get you Ahead Standard. Docking and Ending Patrol should also fix it, even if you did take damage, of course.

Old 12-19-22, 09:35 PM   #5196
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Bad Save data usually.
if you mean the previous save used as a base for the next mission, it can't be that because this was the first mission of a new career.
if you mean mod soup, i enacted the fix for that also.

Quote:
What does the "501 Lite_fog_ V2+Slow_water" change? That is not one of our mods. Slow water is liable to "slow boat"...
this mod changes scene.dat to make the water clearer.
i've been using it for ten-twelve missions without a problem.

Quote:
Generally speaking, if a boat drops to All Stop with Ahead Standard, it will do it with all settings. I have never heard of only 2 of 4 commands doing that, unless you have two of the four diesel engines damaged, and is irreparable.
it's not this because it occurred right out of the barn...unless the yard crew effed up the repair.

and, yes, i, too, have never seen just two of the four ETO commands work/not work.

Quote:
Check your damage screen, and do an outside check on your props.
see the reply just above.

Quote:
If you have bad Save data, a possible way around it to get home would be to set a course on the NavMap, and that should get you Ahead Standard. Docking and Ending Patrol should also fix it, even if you did take damage, of course.
Damage is not the reason.

i guess since i have only one mission invested in this career, i will start over. if it happens again with the new career, i'll perform a reinstall.

East Sokovian programmers......

p.s. None of the easy, interim fixes work and so i must perform a clean install.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 12-20-22 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-21-22, 03:44 PM   #5197
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

hey PB, make a note to yourself and your team for the next update:

you need to add a label for Tjilatjap on the Nav Map.
it is a naval base and you refer to it specifically in some dispatches, but there is no label for it on the map.

thanks.

km

LAA enabled
Old 12-21-22, 08:31 PM   #5198
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default trouble flare

how many IJN ships can fire trouble flares when they are torpedoed?
if the answer is All, then why do some ships fire them and some do not?

LAA enabled
Old 12-21-22, 09:58 PM   #5199
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hey PB, make a note to yourself and your team for the next update:

you need to add a label for Tjilatjap on the Nav Map.
it is a naval base and you refer to it specifically in some dispatches, but there is no label for it on the map.

thanks.

km
Well-ell... imagine that... the name is attached to the dock that is on the eastern shore inside the bay... but it looks like the dock itself is missing also... hmmm - me thinks someone sneezed around there or somethin'...

Quote:
how many IJN ships can fire trouble flares when they are torpedoed?
if the answer is All, then why do some ships fire them and some do not?
Roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the ships have the capability to shoot the flare, including some of the warships, which is mostly the CL-BB classes. However, to see the flare shoot, a certain part of the ship must take catastrophic damage, which would insinuate the ship will sink... which it doesn't always do... plus, on some of the ships, as soon as the torpedo hits, the flare goes up, which would insinuate that the officer of the watch was standing there with the gun pointed perfectly overhead as the torpedo approached and then impacted... which is what I do NOT like about them. However, again, they don't always sink after the flare goes up, so you do still have to hang around to see. The European Medium Freighter seems to be very good at that. Hit it with two torpedoes, and up goes the flare, but no matter how long you wait, you will have to either put a 3rd into it, or surface and duke it out with the deck gun, of which they have two...

Old 12-22-22, 01:05 PM   #5200
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default returning to Guam when CTD

Completed a 5 day patrol Oct 24 '44 NE of Okinowa in my new Tench that I upgraded to in Saipan. Maybe I wasn't paying a mind but when I plotted my return to base I noticed the tilted anchor was Guam! so I arrived Guam Oct 26 '44 entered the 10m(?) circle selected the rearm refuel option and then selected the docking option. The congratulations screen displays, I check OK, and CTD! Retried twice and now here I am!
Here's my MODs;
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8="399_NoScroll NavMap""304_NoJapaneseAirRadar""901_Strategic_Map_ Symbols""SH4_original_4k_light_blue""454c_EasyAOB_ InputTargetDistanceOnTBT""JayMyKey""101_FotRSUv18_ FixPak"
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=
[MODS]
399_NoScrollNavMap=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=4
SH4_original_4k_light_blue=5
454c_EasyAOB_InputTargetDistanceOnTBT=6
JayMyKey=7 my Command keys for my laptop
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=8
Two patrols prior originated from Midway in a Balao, then transferred to Saipan on next patrol, returned to Saipan where I was offered the Tench and departed on next patrol either late Sept or early Oct '44 (as best I recollect because all previous game play was flawless).
Has anyone else reported something like this?
Old 12-22-22, 04:44 PM   #5201
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Completed a 5 day patrol Oct 24 '44 NE of Okinowa in my new Tench that I upgraded to in Saipan. Maybe I wasn't paying a mind but when I plotted my return to base I noticed the tilted anchor was Guam! so I arrived Guam Oct 26 '44 entered the 10m(?) circle selected the rearm refuel option and then selected the docking option. The congratulations screen displays, I check OK, and CTD! Retried twice and now here I am!
Here's my MODs;
100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8="399_NoScroll NavMap""304_NoJapaneseAirRadar""901_Strategic_Map_ Symbols""SH4_original_4k_light_blue""454c_EasyAOB_ InputTargetDistanceOnTBT""JayMyKey""101_FotRSUv18_ FixPak"
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=
[MODS]
399_NoScrollNavMap=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=8
Two patrols prior originated from Midway in a Balao, then transferred to Saipan on next patrol, returned to Saipan where I was offered the Tench and departed on next patrol either late Sept or early Oct '44 (as best I recollect because all previous game play was flawless).
hey jldjs Greetings and Merry Christmas..

This comes from your list which is not very well put together..
---we resume:
-Here is your list:
[MODS]
399_NoScrollNavMap=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=8

---my recommendation:
[MODS]
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
399_NoScrollNavMap=4
454c_EasyAOB_InputTargetDistanceOnTBT=5
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=6
SH4_original_4k_light_blue=7

---a clean installation must be executed, forget your backups, start on a healthy basis---

remove this one
I do not recommend it at all what is your problem with the keyboard?
the remapping must be perfectly executed otherwise there will be problems!!
Have you read the recommendations provided by the "Boss Beanie" observe the numbers he assigned to each of these mods...reading the recommendations will help you enormously..
and you will avoid this kind of inconvenience.
So to avoid .. here is Good install and courage its de rigueur I think ..

My Mod list:
[MODS]
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=2
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN=3
FOTRSU_1.8_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k=4
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch=5
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU=6
Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU=7
Combined Roster=8
DarkerNightsEnv_V2=9
RUBINI_CLOUDS_SH4=10
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.8=11
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar=12
450_MoonlightzSonarLines=13
650_MoreDudz=14
801_UMark Invisible=15
803_NoPlayerSubFlags=16
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols=17
451_TMOstyle_NavMapDots=18
451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru=19
451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun=20
805_CWC_FIOQv18=21
BATTLEFLAG_WARDROOM_GRAYBACK_SS-208=22
BATTLEFLAG_CONNING_GRAYBACK_SS-208=23
Jimimadrid Metalic Dials=24
Jimimadrid Sailors for FotRSU=25

I'm going to update tonight because Jimmy a talented modder just published some great news...
go see his work it's here if you want..

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...14&postcount=1

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 12-22-22 at 05:14 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-22, 05:40 PM   #5202
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Here's my MODs;
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=
[MODS]
399_NoScrollNavMap=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=8
yes, i did, yesterday.
almost exactly the same experience, except that i was driving a Cachalot out of Pearl and it was 1942.

Question for jldjs: what number of mission were you completing?

LAA enabled
Old 12-22-22, 06:08 PM   #5203
propbeanie

Quote:
Here's my MODs;
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=
[MODS]
399_NoScrollNavMap=2
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar=3
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak=8
The mod list should be fine. I don't think anything is over-written, but the Tench is not dated to be active until after 1st January, 1945. That is how the game thanks you for scoring too many renown points. Never take a boat prior to its active date, since you will either be doomed to sail the seven seas for eternity, never being able to dock, or you will CTD, or if you would have gotten the boat in November or December, you might have been retired if you came into port after the first of January 1945. This is a Stock issue that most folks see with the Balao, but since TMO added a Tench, it also can be "awarded" too early.

Old 12-22-22, 06:11 PM   #5204
propbeanie

Quote:
yes, i did, yesterday.
almost exactly the same experience, except that i was driving a Cachalot out of Pearl and it was 1942.

Question for jldjs: what number of mission were you completing?
I have been out in a Cachalot for several careers now testing, and have made it to 1943 in the one career, with no issues KM. Similar mod list, but no "slow water" mod, which is adjusted in the scene.dat file. Not recommended due to potential ID conflicts and probable bad links between it and the rest of the game.

Old 12-22-22, 07:45 PM   #5205
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I have been out in a Cachalot for several careers now testing, and have made it to 1943 in the one career, with no issues KM. Similar mod list, but no "slow water" mod, which is adjusted in the scene.dat file. Not recommended due to potential ID conflicts and probable bad links between it and the rest of the game.
yeah, i backed that one out but this happened after my re-build.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
200 Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
300 Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
310 Combined Roster
399_NoScrollNavMap
410_Strategic_Map_Symbols
500 Jimimadrid Sailors for FotRSU
i am interested to hear from jldjs as to which mission he was on at the time of his similar experience.

it may be related to conning tower upgrades. i'll tell why i think that.
1. Cachalot is a type zero boat with one conning tower upgrade available.
2. i made all the other boats type = 0 so that i would never receive a boat upgrade.
d. the mission that has failed twice at docking is my third mission.
4. my two previous missions were Rating = 2.
e. this mission would have a rating of at least 2 if i could complete it.
ergo, the CTD MAY be related to a conning tower upgrade that is failing.

let's see what jldjs reports.

LAA enabled