SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-09, 10:15 PM   #1
Vipper
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default still polygon effects on gwx 3.0

I have huge polygon effects on waves so i'm afraid that something did turn that fix off? I have no any mod except gwx 3.0...

anyone had same problem?

Or i must install olc mod separately?
Vipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:56 AM   #2
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

you need to install GWX-16k athmosphere. This is a modified version of, OLCE2 with less polygons.
Old 06-09-09, 02:58 PM   #3
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Even with the 16km Atmosphere the polygons will still be there. I'm afraid Kpt. Lehmann exaggerated (IMO) the effectiveness of the polygon "fix" (read: reduction) that I did for GWX3.
Old 06-09-09, 04:21 PM   #4
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 165

You know this 'polygon' problem?,do you all mean the tearing effect usually noticeable on the water near the horizon line?,like white vertical lines that sometimes seem to flash on and off? Funny you should mention this,I was JUST about to do a thread on this before I saw this thread.I seem to have just started noticing it tonight,but it has probably been there from the start,as its not THAT prominent unless looking for it.

I also have 16k atmosphere enabled.

Last edited by Paul Riley; 06-10-09 at 04:16 AM.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 03:19 AM   #5
Vipper
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Riley View Post
You know this 'polygon' problem?,do you all mean the tearing effect usually noticable on the water near the horizon line?,like white vertical lines that sometimes seem to flash on and off? Funny you should mention this,I was JUST about to do a thread on this before I saw this thread.I seem to have just started noticing it tonight,but it has probably been there from the start,as its not THAT prominent unless looking for it.

I did noticed them (polygons) after playing SH4 and returning to SH3, like a rhombuses on waves, when sun is lower and waves higher then they are quiet noticeable
Vipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 07:03 AM   #6
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The waves in the game have certain proportions where there more free of that effect. Sadly that is not always the idea look for them

One of the environment mods that gives this a better solution IMHO is Manos Environment Pro v1.1 (Which is based in OLCE). Try it and see if it gets better.
Old 06-10-09, 08:34 AM   #7
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
One of the environment mods that gives this a better solution IMHO is Manos Environment Pro v1.1 (Which is based in OLCE). Try it and see if it gets better.
that is exactly the main reason of creation of M.E.P v1.1 ,to tottaly eliminate this ugly issue (didn't suceed ). M.E.P. is balancing colours and reflections in order when they show up not to be so disgusting and the water to look like water as possible (to my abilities)
the most easy thing is to make the colors darker (and will look much beatyfuller) but when these polygons show up it returns only to an ungly thing.and they will show up for sure.
the way of 'hiding' the problem with colours is tottaly wrong.i have seen the game to handle reflections properly to all conditions of weather and time,but some values are changing and the reflection is screwed.
if we find this value(values) and 'lock' them ,the problem will be tottaly eliminated.i thought that the problem was the changing of wind direction.i managed to lock the wind direction but it didn't work.
now i am convised that the solution is hiding at the ROTATION of the SEA. but ,although i tried hard to locate where these values are ....didn't find them.maybe if the rotation of sea is 'locked' will do the trick!
the real challenge is to beat this issue.colours is easy then to be setted and you will see real good colours
i still waiting someone to have a look at this.
maybe some day...

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 09:25 AM   #8
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Riley View Post
You know this 'polygon' problem?,do you all mean the tearing effect usually noticeable on the water near the horizon line?,like white vertical lines that sometimes seem to flash on and off? Funny you should mention this,I was JUST about to do a thread on this before I saw this thread.I seem to have just started noticing it tonight,but it has probably been there from the start,as its not THAT prominent unless looking for it.

No, we aren't talking about that. The "polygon effect", as it has become known, is when you see very square/trianglular/hexagonal shapes on the waves at certain angles, especially where there is something bright being reflected off the water (e.g. the sun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94
the way of 'hiding' the problem with colours is tottaly wrong.
Heh, you don't mince your words, eh?
Old 06-10-09, 03:42 PM   #9
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post

Heh, you don't mince your words, eh?
not at all. i am saying that i was forced to follow this path ('hiding' the problem with colors) ,although i still till today think is tottaly wrong way ,becuase i didn't suceed to solve the problem at his base (my efforts was focused to the points i am describing right after the sentence of mine that you quote)
the reason of my post is exactly all that follows the sentence you quote.as the game can run without the reflection to be screwed...there must be a way to run always without screwing it.if this is located then the problem will be tottaly eliminated.

that's all.

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-24, 11:15 AM   #10
buksik
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

Is it the problem we are talking about?
buksik is online   Reply With Quote