SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-15, 03:55 AM   #1
USS Moose
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Moscow, We Have a Problem

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem in Sub Command.

In the mission "Gibraltar Showdown", I am tasked to sink a Newport-class tank landing ship (LST). The catch is I can't sink it with a missile/torpedo lest I want to be responsible for the Motherland getting economic sanctions/finger wagging of disapproval from the U.N. Therefore, I must sink it with a mine.

This is where the problem begins.

The Akula sub I'm piloting is equipped with rather simple "mobile mines". I set the coordinates and then they're off. Their traveling depth is whatever depth my sub is at, so since I want to sink a surface vessel I assume I ought to launch them when the sub is at/near surface level. Once they reach their designated coordinates (I'll rant about that in a hot second), they sink to the bottom; which in this particular instance, is around 250m. I'm going to guess that's not going to sink the ship. Curiously enough, I set the sub on a head-on jousting course relative to the LST and sent the mines directly towards the ship. The ship set off one of the mines, but when I checked the mission status, it said "You did not sink the ship with a mine. You are the worst." I don't know what I'm doing wrong with mine laying. Unless if I need to just LITTER the area with mines, I don't know what else to do. Help!

Oh and about mine laying, I do NOT appreciate the fact that i can set neat little markers at precise coordinates in the NAV screen, but when it comes time to set coordinates for mines in the fire control map, I'm left with having to do guess work between nautical miles or counting pixels. Small mines, a small target, and a REALLY big area. I mean, c'mon.
USS Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-22, 09:46 AM   #2
emanuelepulcidoria
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

The Akula mines in Sub Command work at depth between 4 and 140 m and can run for maximum of 10 nm. In the mission the only way to get them to work is to position them at the very end of the Newport route at a depth lower than 140 m. Once the Newport will be above them they will be activated and they will sink the ship

Last edited by emanuelepulcidoria; 05-08-22 at 10:50 AM.
emanuelepulcidoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 05:50 AM   #3
macpacheco
Cadet

Downloads: 0

I'm playing sub command from Steam. The problem I have is the Sub doesn't come with any mines loaded for this mission. Can't mine if they aren't onboard ! #VeryFrustrating...
macpacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 10:35 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

macpacheco!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-23, 03:08 AM   #5
jsm4518
Nub

Downloads: 46

My problem is that the mines dont work at all for me and seem bugged in RA 1.5.1. When they reach their destinations they stop just above the seafloor and then either hover there if it's a PMT-1 or start running in circles if its a SMDM. I've only been able to get a SMDM to actually deploy once
jsm4518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-23, 11:52 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

jsm4518!:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
ultimate suffering