SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-16, 05:45 PM   #1816
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

I have been following this thread for years
The time and commitment you have given to this project is nothing short of inspirational

Honestly - best of luck with this iambecomelife

I will keep following with great interest

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 05:08 PM   #1817
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Thanks everyone - I had an idea about ship creation that I want to start putting into place ASAP.

My main dilemma right now? How to add a big roster of player and nonplayer units in the fastest time.

The plan: start use "assembly line methods" for digital shipbuilding. Just like real navies mass produced liberty ships, etc.

I think part of the problem is that for me shipbuilding has been craftsmanship - scour the plans, toss in a line drawing, get everything just right, and it takes several weeks - even months.

I was looking at the profile drawings in Conway's for WWI French, British, German, etc navies and it struck me - so many naval ships had so many common parts. Bridges, funnels, masts, turrets, and casemates didn't change very much within each navy.

Old method:

1) Spend hours and hours getting a new ship just right.

2) Spend hours frustrated because a model that looks good is difficult to skin.

3) Suffer crashes because the model is textured piecemeal, and even one untextured face messes up S3ditor. A big problem for high poly ships!

New method:

1) Create a "parts library" for each navy. With the most common types of gun turrets, boats, masts, funnels, bridges, and hulls pretextured, and ready to import.

2) Import the line drawing like I usually do.

3) Use the "parts library" to assemble ship after ship, making a few adjustments when needed. It will be like putting together a big lego set. Again, this is how Liberty ships etc were assembled in real life. If the Allies had build each merchant individually, they would have lost the war due to slow loss replacement!

Time for me to do what the Allies knew all along! lol.

Expect work soon on the French Navy, because it is a major navy and perhaps the most difficult of the top 5-6 navies to model.

In other news, I imported the new U-35 sub, late model, into the game successfully. No screens yet. This is in preparation for using it as an AI, torpedo-armed unit that you may encounter on patrol.

As for the HMS Drake, it is being refitted to a better level of detail.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-16, 05:27 PM   #1818
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Good thinking Mate.
GWX 4 was being set up that way.
Old 07-08-16, 06:07 PM   #1819
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Good thinking Mate.
GWX 4 was being set up that way.
Thanks! Some basic artwork that I threw together...notice that the "Shells of Fury" statues have been removed, to avoid using that team's artwork.

This type of loading screen will be used to display facts on naval events - for instance, the Battle of Jutland, sinking of "Lusitania", loss of major warships, and so on from 1914 to 1918.

Other loading screens will be pictorial diagrams with statistics - showing the top U-Boats, top aces, number of ships sunk, and U-Boat/Ship Crew lost during the war.

Old 07-08-16, 06:12 PM   #1820
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

The new method sounds good to me

I have been following thus thread for years, I cannot believe the commitment you have put into this

At the end of the day - it is your decision

But if you are asking for opinions - I vote for the 'Assembly Line' method

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 05:31 AM   #1821
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

"I imported the new U-35 sub, late model, into the game successfully. No screens yet. This is in preparation for using it as an AI, torpedo-armed unit that you may encounter on patrol."

so it would actually attack you with torpedoes ?? wow !!

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 10:40 PM   #1822
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Expect work soon on the French Navy, because it is a major navy and perhaps the most difficult of the top 5-6 navies to model.
I'd imagine given they created monstrosity's like this.

Old 07-20-16, 06:29 AM   #1823
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Are there any news?

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 12:06 PM   #1824
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
Are there any news?
I'm starting to worry I killed the thread by posting that picture.
Old 07-24-16, 07:19 PM   #1825
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
I'm starting to worry I killed the thread by posting that picture.
Not at all. Just that I am engaged in serious talks with very good modders (better than myself) about this mod's future. Too early to reveal all the details, and I don't want to disappoint. For now, I encourage you to please contribute to this gofundme with a donation - if you can!

https://www.gofundme.com/2fdrwjg

Construction of the Charlemagne Class battleships is well underway (no screenshots yet).

I will be out of the country for about a week, but I will be studying profile drawings of French Navy ships while I am abroad (all saved digitally on my laptop). Might make the plane ride go faster....
Old 07-25-16, 08:47 PM   #1826
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Hi there
good luck with your trip. looks very good all of the developments i have been very busy with work of my own but wanted to keep in touch. Drop me a line when you have time to chat about possible future plans. I caution agaisnt over expansion some mod makers and amateur developers get grand ideas that can kill a wonderful solid project like this..so be cautious. they will be happy to give lots of advice and jump on board of your effort but often bring more problems than you can ever anticipate. You have done so well I believe because you patiently did top quality work and step by step kept it real.

Not trying to denigrate possible plans that I am not aware of..I get very cautious when I see someone like you giving precedence to others when you have clearly earned to the right be one of the most remarkable mod makers I have ever seen in 20 years of work in the field.

Keep command of your own ship and your own course plotted and you will bring her into port. I am sure of this.
Old 07-25-16, 09:34 PM   #1827
leadtail
Mate

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Not at all. Just that I am engaged in serious talks with very good modders (better than myself) about this mod's future. Too early to reveal all the details, and I don't want to disappoint. For now, I encourage you to please contribute to this gofundme with a donation - if you can!

Construction of the Charlemagne Class battleships is well underway (no screenshots yet).

I will be out of the country for about a week, but I will be studying profile drawings of French Navy ships while I am abroad (all saved digitally on my laptop). Might make the plane ride go faster....
Did you ever use or look at the ships I sent you? I never heard from you. I have several ships done, and or started of the French navy and a few cargo ships, but I didn't want to waste all that time and effort if they would not be used. Let me know?

Charlemagne

Suffren

Bouclier

Chanzy

Danton

Courbet

Leon Gambetta

Armed Steam Trowler

Bisson

SS Risedale

SS Edenwood

Dieppe - french cago

Drifter

Curie U14

U-5 Class Holland boaats

All yours if you want them. As for the rest of the ships I can get the 3D done and even UV mapped but I don't have the time to make the game files like I have for the ones shown in game above. Let me know if I should continue on or not?

Last edited by leadtail; 07-26-16 at 12:44 PM.
leadtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 08:42 AM   #1828
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:

Aim on donating just have a quick question that I hope you might know the answer to. Would getting those tools help get other playable U-Boats into SH5?
Old 07-27-16, 05:00 PM   #1829
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Leadtail and Gerlach!! Great to see both of you posting again...I have loved your contributions and comments. I will be sending you both PM's soon.

Thank you for your message, Leadtail. I sincerely apologize and I definitely did not mean to disregard your work. I composed a message stating that when I tried to open the items you sent me, Wings3d would hang. I was unable to use them. Can you please send me everything again you have at the moment (or whatever you like), in .obj or 3dsmax format? I will try again!!
Old 07-27-16, 05:08 PM   #1830
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Aim on donating just have a quick question that I hope you might know the answer to. Would getting those tools help get other playable U-Boats into SH5?
Yes. In theory, buying this tool would enable us to add Type III, Type IX, Destroyers, and of course WWI U-Boats. In additional to the gofundme, I have plans to make a major contribution to the purchase price of $8,000... but everything you guys can give would be helpful.

Until I receive more information, continue to assume Silent Hunter 4 will still be the platform for WOTK. All development will continue to be based on SH4 and its capabilities. However, that could change.

As mentioned earlier, the Silent Hunter III version of WOTK remains suspended (due to so many bugs with SH4 and WOTK prototype being solved).