SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-2021, 10:26 PM   #3616
Sean C
Navigator

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 2

I bought a telescope a while back. Not a big expensive one, but it does magnify up to 120x. Unfortunately, it had a defect. If I tried to look at a planet, it looked like a comet - with a large, hazy tail about six times the diameter of the body, extending to the lower left. This made it completely useless for looking at anything other than the Moon or terrestrial objects.

Well, tonight I decided to try and fix it - even though I know very little about how telescopes are assembled. I took off the piece on the front which I can only describe as a sort of shade for the objective lens. That revealed a threaded ring which held the objective lens in place. After a brief inspection, I noticed that it was cross-threaded.

I carefully unscrewed it and re-seated it correctly. I thought to myself "If this was the only thing wrong, I'll be happy ... but mad at the same time." You see, I've gone months without using it because of this defect, and if that's all I had to do to fix it, then I've missed a lot of good observing for no good reason.

Anyway, it turns out that the cross-threaded ring was the only problem. I aligned the telescope with Jupiter, adjusted the focus and was thrilled to see Io, Ganymede and Callisto and I could even just barely make out one of the bands of gasses which make up old Jove's atmosphere! I turned the scope to Saturn and I could clearly see the rings! And the Moon looked absolutely amazing! I was elated!

I have an adapter which allows me to clamp my phone to the eyepiece so that I can take pictures and record video. However, my new phone doesn't quite fit. I'll have to find a way to make it work or use my old phone to take pics/video. Either way, if I get some good images or video I will post them here if anyone is interested. Attached below is an image of the Moon I shot before I fixed the defect. Hopefully future images will be even better.

Side note:
While I was outside, my neighbor's wife came over and asked if she could look through my telescope. I said "Sure." After looking at Jupiter and Saturn, she hesitantly asked me if I thought the Earth could be flat. I laughed and said "No, of course not."

She did not laugh. Hilarity ensued.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #3617
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
After looking at Jupiter and Saturn, she hesitantly asked me if I thought the Earth could be flat. I laughed and said "No, of course not.”
We all know the real shape of the Earth:

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!
Old 10-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #3618
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I bought a telescope a while back. [...]
Nice! Please keep posting those pictures

Quote:
Side note:
While I was outside, my neighbor's wife came over and asked if she could look through my telescope. I said "Sure." After looking at Jupiter and Saturn, she hesitantly asked me if I thought the Earth could be flat. I laughed and said "No, of course not."

She did not laugh. Hilarity ensued.
I did not come across a lot of people who say that the earth is flat
Just mention evidence of the earth being not flat is that in that case cats would have all shoved over the edge already, they will laugh and you can quickly change the subject

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #3619
mapuc
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 32

Earth is flat at zero meter of ground-this change as you go higher and higher up in the sky. At 10.000 Feet Earth are no more flat.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:02 AM   #3620
Sean C
Navigator

Still having trouble with the camera, but the view is amazing! The picture below does not do it justice, but it will give you an idea of what I am seeing. (And thank you all for the kind replies!)

Old 10-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #3621
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Downloads: 19

RAIN! The atmospheric river is doing it all along the western seaboard up to Oregon! Winds in the hills are at 30+ mph and rain is in inches and expected all week long. The Napa river had been empty mud above Napa City due in part to world famous grape vineyards pumping out the underground aquifers; lowering the water-table which is not good for the fish. This will put out the ongoing California & Oregon fires which have been burning for months in rough terrain; and replenish our greatly reduced reservoirs...but probably not get us out of the serious drought we're in... The Sierras will have great ski conditions after this as snow will be 2+ feet! EDIT: Just called in a 911 fire-showering electric shower from the four insulators on the crosstree! The homeowner, two doors away dwelling there happens to be my cardiac nurse on my recent treadmill test last Thursday!! So, I went out in the tempest to warn her.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-24-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #3622
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Downloads: 19

Still drying out from the atmospheric river that zeroed in on California on Sunday. Several roads/highways are washed out; but the fire season is over! It's the earliest fire season ending in years! Recorded rainfall amounts in a day were 5.5 in. at San Francisco up to 11 inches in nearby counties. The Napa River went from 2.6 ft to more than 21 feet in 14 hours. The flood gates and a low tide in SF Bay prevented any serious flooding. Our drought stricken local reservoirs went from 58% to 66%...all good! The Napa river is flowing from all the reborn bone-dry creeks feeding into it again. Some more rain is expected all week, but the mother load has passed into Nevada and Arizona according to my tablet's weather radar app. Technically we're still in a drought though.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:36 AM   #3623
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Still having trouble with the camera, but the view is amazing! The picture below does not do it justice, but it will give you an idea of what I am seeing. (And thank you all for the kind replies!)

Please do post more... I've got a telescope up in the attic but it's nowhere near this good. Look forward to seeing some more, mate
Old 10-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #3624
Sean C
Navigator

Thanks! The image above is actually a still from a video. It was the only way I could get a decent image at the time. I've attached all the videos I shot that night below. I would attach the picture I took of Saturn, but it's barely recognizable.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #3625
Sean C
Navigator

By the way, you don't have to spend an unreasonable amount of money to get similar or even better results. Here's an inventory of everything I use:

Total cost: $415.54 + tax/s&h

However, you could get the same view of the Moon with only the scope and 3X Barlow.

Cost: $212.69 + tax/s&h