SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-11, 11:04 AM   #1
James.Smith
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ADCAP

ADCAP ADVENTURES.
Hello,
Driving the 688i in the One Step at a Time Scenario,i am having a bit of trouble with the presets on the ADCAP Weapon i guess it needs quite a bit of experience to get the correct depth setting.
I have prepared the weapon early,Flooding Equalising the tube and opening the muzzle door.
Setting up a good dot stack on the TMA and paid close attention to entering several target solutions.
After launching the ADCAP, track is good
Weapon Switches to enable ok, but misses the target,mmmmmmm sigh.
wire guide for another go and the same happens .
I thought that when ADCAP acquires the target it would set the depth of/ or to the target automatically.
My problem is uderstanding how to solve the Target depth.
Looking at the Water Temp Duct the target is probally under the 220ft line because i get solid returns on my forward looking sonar. so please can anyone offer some good advice to a Novice sonar op.

James.
James.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 06:55 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Iirc, the ADCAP moves at launchdepth (in the game anyway) until it reached the Enable-range. (or is manually enabled by the button) Then it dives/climbs to the set search-depth. So you probably had the search-depth set to the default which might have been above the layer.

Did it home onto the target at all, even though it did not detonate? That might be because the floor and ceiling depth were preventing it. It is not clear to me how you set those levels.

EDIT: p.s. If you use active sonar then you can expect the target to make evasive manouvres. So he may not be where you thought he'd be. Did you check with "Truth Layer On"
Old 03-03-11, 11:02 PM   #3
James.Smith
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default re ADCAP

Many thanks Picses
Yes on reflection the pre-set Ceiling was set for the default and Floor was set for 3000ft and only the depth was adjusted. When i read the instructions it seemed that "Ceiling was to protect ownship depth and Floor to prevent the weapon from running aground and your right i should have checked the Truth
Well ....what can i say I will have another go at it .So once again thank you for that.

James
James.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 07:39 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.Smith View Post
When i read the instructions it seemed that "Ceiling was to protect ownship depth...
Not neccesarily ownship alone, also possible friendly or neutral surface contacts. Keep some margin of depth below them. The torpedo might still detonate and hurt them if the ceiling is just 50 feet deep. How much exactly is something I forgot and you need to figure out by trial and error.