Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-10, 01:09 AM   #1
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Downloads: 134
Uploads: 0
Default "Make a Donation" link below your "Login"

That link should be replaced with the page that gives a donor a choice of "avatars" dependant with donor level. This link is somewhere but people will never find it. I've seen it in the past myself.

It would be most reasonable to attach my forementioned "lost link" with the standard "ask for money" page" which appears below your login name when logged in.
Ships-R-Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 01:12 AM   #2
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

What?

AFAIK one donates through the link, then asks Neal for whatever avatar and title he wants, never seen a page that gives you a selection of them...
Old 02-08-10, 01:17 AM   #3
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Like Raptor said, you get to choose your avatar once you've donated something. Cant say I've seen the link either.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 01:18 AM   #4
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
What?

AFAIK one donates through the link, then asks Neal for whatever avatar and title he wants, never seen a page that gives you a selection of them...

YES, this site has a page that gives you an avatar based on donor level "WITHOUT" additional requests or in addition the proper channel listed for such a request.

I have visited it myself hunting around, as there is just as much additional good stuff posted on Subsim as what the forum offers, and it is good reading.

AS PROOF.......Neals page offers "Aces of the Deep" for $25.00
Old 02-08-10, 01:29 AM   #5
Ships-R-Us
Commander

At the very least when someone clicks the link, rather than get hit with the same "visual experience" most get slammed in the face with when paying bills, Subsim could make the visual experience more than the usual nightmare by dressing it up with the options presented in the start of this thread, and of course the impersonal "take your money" thing , I guess, will always be there also........

After all, 100% of donations from this forementioned link are from people not trying to pay their wifes alimony...........
Old 02-09-10, 09:55 AM   #6
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Bump?
Old 02-09-10, 10:00 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Like Raptor said, you get to choose your avatar once you've donated something. Cant say I've seen the link either.

That's it, and the request for an avatar should come as a separate email with the donation info. You would not believe how many e-mails and PMs I get daily, I need a little help here.
Old 02-09-10, 10:08 AM   #8
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Neal, perhaps my posts appear disjointed, but somewhere on this site a while ago I saw a page that was 100% devoted to contributed to Subsim which had about 6 avatars listed corresponding to various levels of donations, as well as a line for entering any amount of donation.

I simply say if the "make a donation" link pointed to that page, I think it would be better......You can still have the "PAYPAL" link also on that page.......Being just me again, thanks for reading Neal
Old 02-09-10, 10:11 AM   #9
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I need a little help here.
Delegate, mate. Ask one of your veteran moderators if they'd be willing to share the burden. If so, make an announcement that, for example, all future avatar request are to be send to [insert name of the moderator or his email here]. Then, he checks the requests weekly, say, every Sunday and PM's or emails you a list of O.K.'d requests and you then go and change the avatars.

Oooor, if you want to do it all yourself, make few new email accounts and make an announcement what goes where. Pick a day when you're going to check them, like I said earlier once a week per avatars, more pressing matters everyday etc. etc.

Might be hassle to get it to work at first, but I'd imagine it would make your life a bit easier.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 10:28 AM   #10
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships-R-Us View Post
Neal, perhaps my posts appear disjointed, but somewhere on this site a while ago I saw a page that was 100% devoted to contributed to Subsim which had about 6 avatars listed corresponding to various levels of donations, as well as a line for entering any amount of donation.
Do you mean this page?

http://www.subsim.com/sh2fleet_forms/donation.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
You would not believe how many e-mails and PMs I get daily, I need a little help here.
Like Dowly said, share the work load. There are plenty of existing members (mods or not) that are willing to help out. Just invite a select few you consider to be community minded and see how it goes.

Call them the 'Subsim Response Team'.

Last edited by danlisa; 02-09-10 at 10:38 AM.
danlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 10:36 AM   #11
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Default You are a genius

Danlisa, you are fantastic. Cant't tell you how long I searched for that. I believe you should "pm' Neal with that link, as I think he lost it also. I think this is the link that "make a donation"should point to. You are a saviour and Neal will probabally "sticky"
Old 02-09-10, 10:41 AM   #12
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Ewww. I don't want Neal to 'sticky' me.

That link is directly accessible from the main www.subsim.com site, it's under Bonus Mods. I think it's a throwback to the days of SH2 and all that entailed.

Last edited by danlisa; 02-09-10 at 01:53 PM.
danlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 03:19 PM   #13
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Those donation levels have no connetion to avatars at all.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 09:09 PM   #14
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Default I hope this gets reviewed in a timely manner

Waiting for your decision. I only believe that potential donors will feel more welcomed and comfortable and more inclined to generously donate if the page is not the standard "canned Paypal" slap in the face that bill payers are familiar with when paying bills. Of course the page to which I have referred does contain the added Paypal link also, but when people are confronted with the page I suggested, I believe they a receive a warm welcome and a chance to view the donor level options before opening their wallets.

I trust you will take the time to also review my previous posts here with regards to your final decision.

Last edited by Ships-R-Us; 02-11-10 at 06:52 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-20-10, 01:05 AM   #15
Ships-R-Us
Commander

Default Bump......9 days

General Quarters General Quarters "This is not a drill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships-R-Us View Post
Waiting for your decision. I only believe that potential donors will feel more welcomed and comfortable and more inclined to generously donate if the page is not the standard "canned Paypal" slap in the face that bill payers are familiar with when paying bills. Of course the page to which I have referred does contain the added Paypal link also, but when people are confronted with the page I suggested, I believe they a receive a warm welcome and a chance to view the donor level options before opening their wallets.

I trust you will take the time to also review my previous posts in this thread to wit I started with reference your final decision Neal.