SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-23, 02:32 PM   #91
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

FFFFUUUU- bit the bullet and ordered the HP Reverb G2.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 04:30 PM   #92
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

First Blood...! I'm sooooo sorrrrie!

If you run into issues, ask, if I can, I'll help.

One thing I tell you in advance already: the thing comes with a cable that halfway through has a connector to a second cable. You will ntov eit, a little box. I disconnect the set here when i do not use it, and this way I must not always crawl under the table and to the backside of my computer. Why do I do this? Because Windows Mixed Reality (thats what it tehcnically is) may not recognise the set when you boot the system and the set ius connected. Sounds like a downer maybe, but it isn't, one just has to know it.

Second thing, if you neve rhave run VR before, maybe you find you are prone to "motion sickness". If so, no reason to despair, but you need patience then. Use it with titles that include slow virtual movements only and no wild rides, also, no sudden reverse movement. Also, play per session no longer than you can play without feelig any nausea. And then, form d ay to day, slowly increase the session lengths. The good news is: the brain gets used to it over time, it can and does adapt, but it may take time. - Myself, I now can use the thign for hours, even in wild stuff, and I feel nothign negative at all. Patience if you need to adapot to VR is the keyword. Dont give up too early, but have patience. IF you are prone to motion sickness. Many aren't, and from beginning on.

In titles that leave you the3 chocie amognst severla vR options, you may want to choose "openVR", else "Steam VR". Obviously, not "Oculus VR".

Good news for you, the ´G2 runs Google Earth VR and Google Streetview VR. But you need to start it better form wiothin Steam Home, that is the launcher of the Steam platform, you will learn about it automatically. If you launch it via desktop shortcut, it cna happen that the hand controlelrs do not get properly recongised. All your VR titles that run via Steam, should be listed in that virtual launcher'S display, when you wear the helmet. You will notice it.

I also recommend Virtual Desktop as a must have, check then the steam worksho for it for movie hall themes. Some fo them are better than others, some are extremely good. You need such a vrdfitual desktop to watch movies via DVD player. It mirrors the desktop 1:1 onto the moviescreen.

After having installed the hardware, go and find some software component named "steam_vr_desktop_theatre" (use windows search). Get a shortcut for it on youre desktop. Whenever you find an app working bad or not at all in VR, its worth to try this one. You simply launch this one before you launch the actual app or go into SteamHome.

Sometimes, pürograms need careful GFXC driver settings tuned, else the software performs poorly or even crashes. Ironically sometimes HIGHER settings are the solution to add back stability. It dpeends on your system and graphics card. I only want you to keep in mind this: lower settigns not always give you better VR perofmance (frames) or stability, sometimes lowering certain settings do exactly the opposite. Keep that in mind, experiment.

Windows has an onscreen-keyboard. Find it and have a shortcut for it set up on your toolbar or desktop. You may find that easier sometimes when being in Virtual Desktop mode and browsing, or searchign something on Youtube, than to take of the amsk and use the hardware keyboard.

Never forget that the trackers for the G2 sit inside the helmet. If the helmet cannot see your hands, they will not get corretcly tracked. That is the one weaker side of the G2. I, as well as the video, mentioned it.

Okay, this already have been eight or nine things. But you guys know me...

What kind of programs did you have in mind when deciding for giving it a try?

Last edited by Skybird; 01-08-23 at 04:39 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 04:45 PM   #93
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Now! How much was it this HP Reverb G2 cost here in Denmark? While looking at prices I saw a few question about this set.

Question:
Is the reverb G2 worth buying?

Answer:
Quote:
Despite issues with refresh rate, controller tracking and the wonky Windows Mixed Reality platform, the HP Reverb G2 is the best bang for your buck in the PC-based VR space. Its high-resolution LCD screens and powerful speakers work well in making compatible games feel more immersive.
The day I win more than a few bucks in the lottery-is the day I'm going to buy this VR set.

Price 6376 Danish Kroner or approx. 860 Euros.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 04:58 PM   #94
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Question:
Is the reverb G2 worth buying?
Depends on the purpose. You get extremly good resolution, absenc eof any visible screendoor effect, good hovering ear speaker. You have to accept sub-optimal hand controllers that will fail you in games that need fast and precise hand movement: Eleven Table Tennis, or wide swinging movements with your arms: First Person Tennis.

If you do normal stuff with your hadnd, or plan to sit in car cockpits a lot, then its perfect. The resolution is the killer argument.

Yes, the bang-for-the-buck ratio is beyond competition currently. I got mine one year ago, with two controllers: 500 coins. I did not need to update my GFX board.
Old 01-09-23, 03:16 AM   #95
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
What kind of programs did you have in mind when deciding for giving it a try?
Lol, absolutely none. This was an impulse buy waiting to happen for the past two years.

BTW, do the controllers come with batteries included? And how long would you estimate they last? Might have to get me a recharger.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-23, 04:59 AM   #96
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Lol, absolutely none. This was an impulse buy waiting to happen for the past two years.

BTW, do the controllers come with batteries included? And how long would you estimate they last? Might have to get me a recharger.
Good question. I urge you to get 4 AA Lithium rechargables and according recharger. One charge keeps you going very, very long, hours and hours. Normal rechargables drop in power to soon, I mean the "Spannung" , current. You want bateries close to 1.5V, whereas normal rechargables have 1.2V. Usually that is no issue, but here it quickly becomes one. Telling by experience.
Beside the already mentioned things, check Aircar. Its free and a very impressive demo, free roaming in blade runner style.

Its always worth to check whether or not it technically works to have a non vr game running in virtual desktop, on the huge movie screen. Some games stutter. Some games make even me motionsick. Some games work. Wreckfest for example is a revelation. Imagine crash races on a screen the size of an IMAXX cinema. That way even non vr games may see stellar upvaluing.

Start slow and mild however, check how it is with motionsickness. Adapt as I described, slowly, if need be. It works.
Old 01-09-23, 05:08 AM   #97
Skybird
Soaring

Some games need vr being activated in their ingame options. Someneed you to launch them vua Steam launcher and then choosing betwenn various 2D and VR options. Some may still need a command line added in steam properties.

This is Windows Mixed Reality mode, technically. Games have best chances to run properly if launched not via shortcut but from within the vurtual steam home that automatically launches after hardware got connected. Else the controllers might get messed up.
Old 01-09-23, 07:15 AM   #98
Skybird
Soaring

If you want I get you pointed to some interesting stuff. Sightseeing the world is what VR is made for. And it can be just done - or done in style.

Just make sure you get enough breaks to eat occasionally.
Old 01-09-23, 08:52 AM   #99
Skybird
Soaring

Special : Virtual Cinemas

I am a big fan of using these: to watch youtube videos in 2D, and watch movies from DVD/Bluray. It adds to the immersion, and gives you so much bigger a screen.

What is it about? You sit in a three-dimensional, stereoscopically displayed moviehall, and watch the content of your choice in traditional 2D on the big white screen like in a real cinema. That way, you can also copy the whole desktop you usually see on your monitor, can operate it with mouse or VR controllers. And with a virtual keyboard (Window's own onboard keybord). Youtube? No problem. DVD, Bluray? you need a harddriuve, and the usual playing software like before. Streaming content? Shouldnt be an issue at all, like without VR. Its all functioning the same way. Thats why it is called "Virtual Desktop".

Like in real life, you choose not only your wanted film for the evening, but also, if the film is shown in two or three cinemas in your home town, the moviehall of your preference.

These environments come as workshop items for "Virtual Deskptop", which is available in the Steam Shop for I think 12 or 14 coins. I definitely recommend to get this one, its a must have, imo. All these themes are free except just one, which costed me 1 or 2 euros. Thats the big screen you see in the video above, and that comes in a light and a dark theme where the seats and the moviegall are less reflective and less bright. You want that (darker) screen, due to its monumental size (and then play Wreckfest on it... ). Its the biggest moviescreen available in VR, as far as I know. It mimics the Highmaxx cinema in Sydney harbour which was teared down some years ago, so you sit in a real historic place!

Highmaxx Cinema Dark Theme

A theme I newly discovered and which I really like a very lot, is this one: I is very immerisve, even has some slowly animated audience, it really gives you the looks of a medium-sized modern every-city-moviehall. The screensize suits almost all opportunities equally well. This one convinces me right because it is not more and not less than just a realstic modern cinema.

Cinema (Modern)

This one is of equal quality, but has a very different mood, reminds more of older-fashioned moviehalls as they were common in the 80s. Small details add to the flair: the popcorn buckets, the cola-cups... A small audience is present. The screenshots are a bit dark. I think its the same author like the one before.

Cinema (Classical)

An unspectacular, but well-functioning big screen:

Theatre Large Screen

And the last of the bigger screens is this, I use it not a lot, but it is reasonably sized and okay, may come welcomed if wanting a change while using virtual cinemas a lot.

Cinema Screen

Again, as a reminder: desktops mirrored on the movie screen work and function the same way like the one on your monitor. Except the Highmaxx, all themes are free.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-09-23 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-09-23, 09:12 AM   #100
Skybird
Soaring

When i still used an Oculus set, I had access to Skybox VR, a movieplayer with a nice cinema theme, it was very well done both in functionality and visuals for the place it even had the light fading in and out. Its on Steam, but cannot be bought currently, it is under re-development. Only Oculus owners can still buy it, and then in the oculus shop.

Stuff you buy at steam, can be used on all hardware standards, stuff you buy in the Oculus shop, can onyl be used with Oculus hardware even if it is the same title. Beware! Skybox was the only title I ever bought for the Oculus, therefore.

--------------------------

Some movies I may prefer to watch in a more intimate setting, also my own bicycle videos (seeing your own self-shot movie on the moviescreen really lights your candle especially when your name is shown on the screen! ), small studio cinemas with seats for 20-40 people only, usually that are films that have no blockbuster-quality graphcis to offer. Or I just want a change. I use virtual cinemas a very lot, and so I indeed change a very lot. I love it.

This moviehall never gets fully dark, but is a piece of art and visual beauty, you will spend the first minutes just with staring at the ceiling. Very nice one. It comes in two versions, in the one you sit in the first row, in the other version you sit behind that on the balcony.

Private Theatre (Grand)

This one equals a small studio cinema where they usually show less blockbuster and mainstream films, but more or less "arts" movies from filmmakers with small budgets. It comes in two versions, one with the blue background lights, one with these being switched off. The blue light is nice, but the dark theme is more realistic.

The following themes are more like home ambience and are also more intimate, they offer animated objects and the worlds outside the windows also may be animated a bit. The screens are smaller, like you would expect in a room of that size. Really, they are well done and are nice, worth to bne tried, even more when considering that all the themes I demonstrated here (except just a single one) are FREE. These have the themes of "Toon", "Western", "Horror", "Fantasy".

Virtual Desktop also has several screens and environments on board, two small private home movie rooms amongst them. But I never use them, they are okay, but the one has too small screen size, the other an unfavourable viewing angle. But maybe thats just me and they work fine for others.

All these cinemas are about immerison only, they do not add or substract any functionality.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-09-23 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-09-23, 09:52 AM   #101
Skybird
Soaring

And this. A workspace with a view. And what a view! Step close to the glass window, and feel a shiver when looking down!

Old 01-09-23, 12:28 PM   #102
Skybird
Soaring

Way to go. Way to go?

For the time being I would stick with Virtual Desktop as the to-go-to-app. Even if it gets plenty of Flak for changes in always-online policies recently.

This is the explanation trailer for Virtual Desktop from 6 years ago. Content has been added since then, the app is in constant development. I must say the app has always flawlessly worked for me, both in the Oculus Rift and now the G2 Reverb. I use the Steam version. The developer gets since some month plenty of Flak for having changed some background business policy, I am not in full knowledge of what goes on there, I do not care either, it seems that some DRM stuff was added and made it necessary for the app to work that there always is aninternet connection, they say it does not run without internet anymore, but I do neither care, nor think it was ever any different. I use it a lot for Youtubing, and then I obviously need online connectivity anyway. It is the best way to watch 360° videos that I know of, all other apps I tried for that were more complicated and failed in delivering results.

Virtual Desktop (app)

Last edited by Skybird; 01-09-23 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-13-23, 03:04 PM   #103
Skybird
Soaring

For a lousy 14 coins I have had a good time with the successor to WarPlane WW1 Fighters, which I played a lot.

Its still in early access and obviously some things, namely in controls, still need to be polished, but for 14 coins it already is pretty damn fine - and faster and with better graphics than the first part.

It is neither hardcore simulation like DCS, nor total aracde. The accessability for the player is smooth and fast and easy. The physics are there, well balanced with quick action.

Can only get better! VR needs a flying title of any kind to be complete. This is a good contender, like was the first part, WW1 Fighters. Easy to underestimate these games - but it would be a mistake to do so, I think. For what it is, I like it.
Old 01-17-23, 12:56 PM   #104
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Finally, I can now-Buy the best of the best VR Headset.

I'm thinking on buying this HP Reverb G2 or is there better
(My 6GB graphic card and cpu has to have the ability to pull this VR set)

I can also buy myself a decent Gaming Chair.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-23, 03:27 PM   #105
Skybird
Soaring

Is your system up to it? The G2 is no stand-alone headset.

Regarding "best headset", the optics in G2 are amongst the highest resolution, which is a plus, but the set's hand controllers are mediocre in tracking precision. If you plan to play games like Eleven Table Tennis, First Person Tennis, Thrill of the Fight (boxing simulator, and even a good one), Racket Fury Table Tennis, you will have no big joy then, the tracking is infeiror and sluggish with these super-fast and subtle hand movements. If you plan to play games where you are seated in cockpits or have non-superfast and precise hand and arm movements, then it is the best bang for the buck. Its really a matter of whether you do stuff like table tennis and comparable things, or not. I loved Table Tennism but I had to stop palying it in VR with the new set. It needs external tracking, its mandatory, practically.

Be aware that you have to chose once for getting the headset alone, or headset plus hand controllers. The handcontrollers cannot be bought separately! I recommend strongly to get the controllers as well.

A ventilator aimed at your face is probably a must, too. 15-20 cm, something in that range of blade diameters. Even small amounts of sweat aorund the eyes will fog the lenses. Cooling the face is mandatory, therefore. That is the case with every VR set.

In my profile, you see my specs. I would not recommend to have something below that to run the G2. But you do not need that lots of RAM i have, that was a misjudgement of mine (related to video editing).