Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-24, 12:18 AM   #1
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Default UBISOFT: Fans have to get used to not owning their games

Taking a page from the WEF, you'll own nothing and be happy. https://www.westernjournal.com/ubiso...estern-journal
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 01:22 AM   #2
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Yeah, that's what they (UBI and others) have been trying for years, and there already have been quite a number of cases in which users can no longer use the games they once paid good money for.

The logical customer's answer would be: "UBISOFT has to get used to people not buying their games anymore" - but as of now too many people blindly buy video games. That is why UBI and other publishers are in the position to say things like that.

Don't buy games at release, don't preorder, wait for half a year before you buy - and use your effing brains before you buy. If more people did that publishers would never get away with producing ****ty games full of bugs.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 04:52 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

It started with Steam.
It continued with consoles.

Thats why I was hesitent for years to buy on Steam. Nowadays you simply have no choice anyway. Except of course not playing at all.
Old 01-21-24, 05:57 AM   #4
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:

"The second problem Ubisoft’s subscription service will face, if it continues to evolve, is traditionally-minded customers.

Some gamers will always want physical copies. If they’re told they can’t have one, they may take their business elsewhere"

Hear-hear!!

My gaming & simming is all pre 2010 and on disc - after which time just about everything seemed to require a Steam account. So I may be just an old geezer but my vote and money is still as powerful as the next man's - and I don't want this

Unsurprisingly, my music and movies are all on disc too and that's how it'll continue until all of us who resist this are gone and they can dictate terms to everyone else

I feel the same anger about this as I did when Microsoft withdrew support for Flight Simulator X and I could no longer activate my disc on a new computer, added to which I'd spent a fortune on photo-real software which of course I can no longer use - and this is all on disc! So if it requires any kind of internet connection at any stage then I won't buy it - end of
Old 01-21-24, 06:07 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Quote:

"The second problem Ubisoft’s subscription service will face, if it continues to evolve, is traditionally-minded customers.

Some gamers will always want physical copies. If they’re told they can’t have one, they may take their business elsewhere"

Hear-hear!!

My gaming & simming is all pre 2010 and on disc - after which time just about everything seemed to require a Steam account. So I may be just an old geezer but my vote and money is still as powerful as the next man's - and I don't want this

Unsurprisingly, my music and movies are all on disc too and that's how it'll continue until all of us who resist this are gone and they can dictate terms to everyone else

I feel the same anger about this as I did when Microsoft withdrew support for Flight Simulator X and I could no longer activate my disc on a new computer, added to which I'd spent a fortune on photo-real software which I could no longer use - and this is all on disc! So if it requires any kind of internet connection at any stage then I won't buy it - end of
I hear you. No TV streaming and no music internet abo for me. All movies are on disc, almost all music as well. I may buy music as MP3 downloads and burn it on CD, however. Games, well, I hesitated for years and years to go with Steam. But finally did. Could not complain about Steam, but companies selling there - I avoid these. No UBI for me, as one exmaple. Also, no abo service on my backup playstation which I rarely use anyway. To be fair, there are also those companies who treat their customers very fair and supporting. The mean ones are the big ones, because they think they can bend the rules in their favour.
Old 01-21-24, 06:10 AM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I basically am the same E, I spent so much money on programs that are now 'outdated' but still work 100% I just have to keep a computer with XP.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 06:27 AM   #7
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Likewise, Reece - my monster gaming PC is XP with no internet connection The only things that can spoil my gaming are a power cut or spilled coffee
Old 01-21-24, 06:42 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

DITTO

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 04:17 PM   #9
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I'm a member of GOG.com, the last game I bought from them was Anno 1404 Gold Edition, Windows 10\11 compatible as well. They haven't got a selection like Steam has but, I've never used Steam so I'm not bothered about that.
https://www.gog.com/en

There are two options to download a game.
Option 1,
INSTALL GAME WITH GOG GALAXY, if anything happens to your PC you have to download it again.

Option 2,
Download offline backup game installers, (best option) two files, burn to DVD and you've got it forever.
Old 01-22-24, 11:11 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
...or spilled coffee.
...it also helps if you take yer 'cuppa Joe' like a man; w/o any sticky sugar or cream, and lay a broad strip of saran-wrap loosely across the key board for those inevitable caffeine gravitational deluges!

...and if you go solar with standby battery unit...no power cuts either!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote