SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-22, 05:32 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default China's rise to a naval power

This documentary from last week, 50 minutes, describes ^ . It illustrates the strategy of China to collect gains and advantages by staying just below the treshhold level that would trigger military reactions. By allowing this, the US has already given up considerable space and signalled its allies in the region that it does not stand by its word, for example regarding the defence of the Phillippines when China took the Scarborough Reef without shooting one round. The grab of territory in the South Chinese Sea is another example.

Things do not go well for America and its allies. Its behaving too indifferent and for too long time now.

The program was broadcasted on Arte, which is a French-German cooperation broadcaster. You can activated subtitles and then switch on automatic English translation, since the sound is in German.

Old 05-09-22, 07:01 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

They still have a long way to go to be anywhere close to the US in naval power but they are closing the gap, and as far as the Phillippenes go, it was their choice to increase the lease costs to the point the US just said bye.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 12:17 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
They still have a long way to go to be anywhere close to the US in naval power but they are closing the gap, and as far as the Phillippenes go, it was their choice to increase the lease costs to the point the US just said bye.
Yep

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 12:34 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Aren't we forgetting something, some important difference..Yes Chinese Navy isn't as big as US is..but they have land based bomberplane, coastal longrange ASM and other things they can throw at the American navy if trouble should happen.

So when it comes to logistic I say China has an advantage towards US.

I'm not saying that China can take Taiwan or some other island as easy as piece of cake...no they will lose a lot in their effort to take it.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 01:35 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A modern day carrier battle group is yet to be surpassed on the high seas.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 02:16 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Just that the naval battles near China wont be fought on the "high seas", but in coastal areas. With coastal defences and land-based air defence shields. And the South And East Chinese Sea bears a whole armada of stationary Chinese aircraft carriers and missile platforms. We can safely assume that the Chinese AT LEAST are as technically capable as the Russians, in fact they seem to release more techcial patents per year these days than Germany, or the US. And w eknow they are obsessed with gaining the weapon technology to "kill" carriers, or keep nthem at bay with the threatening of such weapons. Aolso, they ahve the numerciual edge, and clearly. Their coast guard counts by HUNDREDS of boats and cutters.

After the sinking of Russian ships by Ukrainian forces it was said that the Chinese would watch closely at this, regarding their plans to attack Taiwan. But I say: the US also has reason to be worried by what it sees in these Russian losses. The whole war, both on land and sea, illustrates how easily now missiles dominate heavy weapon platform carriers, may it be tanks, or missile cruisers. And counter-missiles ammunitions get spend by ships at very alarming rates. And the US has some naval units classes in action now that have hilariously low ammo reserves, and run especially low on missiles of any sort. I think especially of these katamaran-type speed attack boats they operate in Asia in signficianbt numbers and that are known for a high rate of techncial breakdowns. Heck, the class name just does not come to my mind right now, but you probably know what I mean.

That all is why I do not share the sentiment of self-assurance that America could still win against China. It probably could offshore the American West Coast. But the war with China will be fought offshore China in waters dominated by Chinese air and naval forces and with much shorter logistical supply lines for China.

And one thing is clear. Chinese society could and would digest heavy losses easier and more willingly than American or Western societies.

Next I wonder about Chinas capabilty to wage war in space. Kill satellites, and the enemy falls blind, deaf and silent. For the US that would be a more serious issue than China, because: we talk of war near the Chinese land and coast.