SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-11, 06:35 AM   #1
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

[REL] Underwater FX

Underwater FX v1.1 by TheBeast 3/29/2011 @ 0340

This MOD is JSGME Ready!

Change History:
1.0 - Adjusted color from blue to milky green (Dos Boot look) and reduced the underwater view distance to about 1.5 boat lengths.
At 150 meters you are unable to see light coming from the surface.
1.1 - Surface weather condition does effect underwater visibility now.
Night visibility is reduced even more as water gets darker when the Sun goes down.

DOWNLOAD:
Underwater_FX_Green_1_0_byTheBeast
Underwater_FX_Blue_0_1_byTheBeast

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 04-01-11 at 06:57 PM.
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 10:51 AM   #2
ETsd4
中国水兵

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0

Thxs for the mod. Wow, this sounds and looks form your pics very realistic. Downloading now.

Here some over- and underwater photos from me, swiming in a river and taking pictures with my cheap handy to get some real underwater color

Surfaced:

Diving:

Submerged:

Last edited by ETsd4; 03-29-11 at 11:42 AM.
ETsd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 03:51 PM   #3
Stevepine
Planesman

Downloads: 172

The problem is that those photos are from a river. Rivers and lakes have a lot of vegetation in them... and around them (which causes the underwater green colour). The atlantic ocean is another matter entirely.

The world's oceans do not ALL look dark and murky green below the surface so..... in that way, this mod is unrealistic. Sorry, dont mean to be harsh... but its just the truth.

Das Boot is an utterly fantastic film but its special effects are really dated and old now so im not sure that we should copy them too closely. (even though its impossible not to love the film)

Last edited by Stevepine; 03-29-11 at 04:10 PM.
Stevepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 04:01 PM   #4
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Nice mod
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 06:29 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice to have options.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 10:30 PM   #6
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepine View Post
The problem is that those photos are from a river. Rivers and lakes have a lot of vegetation in them... and around them (which causes the underwater green colour). The atlantic ocean is another matter entirely.

The world's oceans do not ALL look dark and murky green below the surface so..... in that way, this mod is unrealistic. Sorry, dont mean to be harsh... but its just the truth.

Das Boot is an utterly fantastic film but its special effects are really dated and old now so im not sure that we should copy them too closely. (even though its impossible not to love the film)
I think maybe you need to get out more.
Maybe watch the HIST channel and see when they are diving on U-Boat wrecks in the North Sea and English Channel. They are lucky to see 15 meters and that is when diving under ideal conditions.
This MOD is very generous for visible range in respect to those area's.

Yes, as you move North or West accross the Altantic, the water begins to clear up and change color but the game, as far as I can tell, does not allow to MOD a changing under water color.

You can always have multiple underwater FX MOD's that you can change for the area of opperations for your current campaign.

Old 03-31-11, 08:31 AM   #7
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Maybe watch the HIST channel and see when they are diving on U-Boat wrecks in the North Sea and English Channel. They are lucky to see 15 meters and that is when diving under ideal conditions.

Yes, as you move North or West accross the Altantic, the water begins to clear up and change color but the game, as far as I can tell, does not allow to MOD a changing under water color.

You can always have multiple underwater FX MOD's that you can change for the area of opperations for your current campaign.
You can change the underwater color related to the climates zones where you are... not need to install or unninstall a mod depends what campaign you are on it... for that try to play with envcolors.cfg from ENV folder... from there you can make an EnvUnderwater mod if you want:

[Weather=0.Angle=90]
FogColor=88B4EE00
SkyTopColor=5D7ECB00
SkyBottomColor=9ABEEE00
SkyBottomColorHeight=0.350000
SkyAroundSunColor=C0CFF300
SkyAroundSunColor2=FFFFFF00
SkyOppositeSunColor=47758D00
SkyHazeColor=9ABEEE00
SkyHazeHeightMin=-193.449997
SkyHazeHeightMax=277.074005
SkyColorMultiplier=1.300000
SunDiskColor=A2ABCA00
SunDiskRelativeSize=0.550000
SunDiskColorMultiplier=15.000000
SunLightColor=F3F7FD00
SunLightSpecularColor=B4B59D00
SunLightMultiplier=1.800000
SunReflectedColor=1
AmbientColor_Up=FFFFFF00
AmbientColor_Down=3F596900
AmbientColor_North=667E8B00
AmbientColor_South=FFFFFF00
AmbientColor_West=FFFFFF00
AmbientColor_East=FFFFFF00
AmbientColor_Multiplier=1.000000
WaterLightColor=66CDFF00
WaterDarkColor=15233300
UnderwaterFogColor=1F353F00
UnderwaterUpColor=71C2C00
UnderwaterUpAlpha=0.500000
UnderwaterDownColor=1131600
UnderwaterDownAlpha=0.800000
WaterTintColorMulti=A8B5CA00
WaterFoamFilmColorMulti=55D0EF00
ExtraSpecColor=5AC9CD00
CloudsColor=FFFFFF00
CloudsSunLightColor=FFFFFF00
CloudsSunLightOppositeColor=0
CloudsHazeRelativeZMin=0.750000
CloudsHazeRelativeZMax=0.920000
CloudsHazeYFactor=0.000000
PP_HDREyeAdaptationTime=1.000000
PP_HDRMiddleGray=1.300000
PP_HDRMaxLumScale=3.000000
PP_BloomLightOffset=0.500000
PP_BloomMultiplier=0.400000
PP_LensFlareOffset=2.500000
PP_LensFlareMultiplier=0.400000

play with the yellow values

before starting to play with this you must unninstall you undervater FIx mod... to have the values of RGB back to stock for colors filter underwater
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 10:10 AM   #8
MRV
Frogman

Downloads: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepine View Post

Anyone else here who is a diver? As far as my experience goes the greenish look is realistic for some areas. What I would love to see is an underwater effects mod that changes between greenish murky water and clear blue and in between depending on the area you are and the weather.

I remember being on the southern coast of portugal, where washed out stuff from the coastal rocks caused visibility to be around 2 meters and greenish milky color just as seen in das Boot. It was not very different from what you see directly on a beach, dispite the fact that you are diving from a boat a bit away from the coast. I took no pics in on that dives because it was pointless.
Farther in the open of the atlantic, on the island of Madeira, you get 20 Meters of visibility, everything farther away is a blue wall, just a bit like visibility downtuned default SH. This is because its only an island surrounded by very deep water. (One mile off the coast you have 1000+ meters)

Ill try to post a few pictures here, but underwater the image of a camera is very different to what the human eye sees. Especially with my crappy small cam.

This is madeira water, close to the rocky coast off funchal at around 15 meters depth. As I said, the visibility differs from human eye reception. I remember being able to see much farther than on this photo. Note the greenish touch.

25 meters. A bit further off the coast on a boat dive.

As you can see, my expectations on underwater effects in SH5 are for obvious reasons a bit high.

Last edited by MRV; 03-31-11 at 10:28 AM.
MRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 12:51 PM   #9
Stevepine
Planesman

Downloads: 172

Quote:

I was not saying anything about the visibility levels..... I actually agree with you there , mate. Just colour. Im sure the seas and oceans around the globe look different under the surface depending on the light and the region BUT I wouldn't want a mod that just made the ocean look green ... everywhere around the world. That's all.

I also agree that you can change your mod -- depending on where you are in the world. It is indeed good to have choice! But green underwater for all oceans in the game... its not for me. Thats all.

These, to me, just highlight the variety of colours you can get under the water... and that's really what I meant with my first post. Everything green (regardless of location) seems too simple. But Im sure lots of people will love your mod... I respect anyone who puts hard work into helping the game.

Last edited by Stevepine; 03-31-11 at 01:03 PM.
Stevepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 06:55 PM   #10
TheBeast
The Old Man

Added Underwater_FX_Blue_0_1_byTheBeast

See Post #1 for download link.

Old 04-01-11, 07:00 PM   #11
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

awsome - nice mod

why you not try to make an underwater mod unstatic?... you can have blue underwater in sud for example, green in north, we can make the underwater to change related to weather type, day, night, and so one... at least i think this... if you are interestetd i can explain to you how i did my blue atlantic water to be unstatic and to change like that... check your PM pls
Old 04-01-11, 07:04 PM   #12
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Added Underwater_FX_Blue_0_1_byTheBeast

See Post #1 for download link.

1.1 - Surface weather condition does effect underwater visibility now.
Night visibility is reduced even more as water gets darker when the Sun goes down.
Thank You man !

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 07:05 PM   #13
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
awsome - nice mod

why you not try to make an underwater mod unstatic?... you can have blue underwater in sud for example, green in north, we can make the underwater to change related to weather type, day, night, and so one... at least i think this... if you are interestetd i can explain to you how i did my blue atlantic water to be unstatic and to change like that... check your PM pls
I am working on it but it is very time consuming. It requires game restart every time to view/verify changes. So it is going to take some time if it is even possible at all.

I am very picky so we are talking about many many game restarts.

Old 04-01-11, 07:06 PM   #14
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I am working on it but it is very time consuming. It requires game restart every time to view/verify changes. So it is going to take some time if it is even possible at all.

I am very picky so we are talking about many many game restarts.
i know some tricks and you do not need to restart the game so manny times - and i know it is time consuming... i worked manny days at my blue water .. i know what you mean

Tags
effect, green, underwater