SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III > SH3 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-11, 11:28 AM   #76
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Well now this is really weird.

I have tried several different things. I turned off GPU scaling in CCC. I reset the res in d3d9.cfg to 1680 x 1050. I changed the res in Main.cfg to the same. I set my monitors (actually a monitor and HDTV) to duplicate desktops rather than extended. I uninstalled the Res Fix. I reinstalled the Res Fix. I changed all the other settings noted above back and forth several times. I removed the "tweak" that forced the desktop to drop to 1400x1050 when SH3.exe is running. I've tried both ME and MEX2. I've tried them both with the Res Fix's d3d9.dll temporarily renamed. I've tried various combinations of the above in four different game installations.

A couple of times I got the ME to open a campaign file and display the map properly, but whatever the set up I had when that happened, I was unable to duplicate the success in a different game install or even in the same game install the next time I tried to open ME there.

Now sometimes I just get the black window with no map again, and sometimes ME crashes and problem details show the faulty module as Simdata.dll... but I might have been trying to open a campaign file from a GWX install with the ME in my Stock game folder, I don't know. I was pretty confused by that point.

I don't know, I'm starting to think it would just be easier to do a complete reinstall and start from scratch.
Well you may as well be the first to know.......I've been pottering around trying to figure out what could be causing your problem and I've gone and lost the bugga mesel

Multiple reinstallation of ME versions one and two have failed to correct the fault

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 04:23 PM   #77
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Well you may as well be the first to know.......I've been pottering around trying to figure out what could be causing your problem and I've gone and lost the bugga mesel

Multiple reinstallation of ME versions one and two have failed to correct the fault
WE'RE DOOMED!!!

I could swear that after it worked okay in one game folder (the one I test stuff with), I went into my main game folder and made sure everything matched up exactly, didn't change anything with the monitor or GPU or desktop res, and... IT DIDN'T WORK. So I went back to the game folder where it had just worked two minutes before and tried it there again and then it didn't work there either. I'm completely baffled. I even rebooted to clear up as much RAM as possible in case it was a memory issue and that didn't work either... and I think you've got 8 gigs which is 2 more than me, so it's probably not memory anyway.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 06:37 PM   #78
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

You know what else is weird?

I went in and started trying to play with different settings for the display again, and now when I choose to extend my desktop across the monitor and the HDTV - which gave me NO problems before - I get all kinds of weird flickering on the monitor (but not the tv screen) when I'm moving stuff around, including the mouse cursor.

If I choose to duplicate the displays I get the weird flickering on the tv screen but not the monitor. I know they have different native resolutions but I could swear I used both setups before with no problems because I've had extended desktop where I watched a DVD that was in the computer's DVD drive on the tv screen while having other stuff up on the computer monitor.

I feel like there's some setting in CCC for the GPU that I'm missing or getting wrong but I keep trying different things and nothing works.
Old 04-29-11, 06:42 PM   #79
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Did you update the OS lately with automatic updates?
I shut that off because of weird problems with MicroSoft screwing with my Stuff.
Old 04-29-11, 07:05 PM   #80
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Did you update the OS lately with automatic updates?
I shut that off because of weird problems with MicroSoft screwing with my Stuff.
Well, I have automatic updates turned on and once things have been downloaded they install at the next shutdown. I so rarely have any problems stemming from that, that I've never really worried about it.

I was having trouble with ME before the last few updates installed - honestly can't remember when I last tried to use it, but it was before Jim posted in here about the newer version of it because I had to keep reminding myself to go download it.

This business with the two displays not wanting to play nice together is something new, though, so I have to wonder what changed. I was in there messing around with all the settings for the past couple of days and today's the first time I get this weird flickering in the displays depending on how I have them configured.

Hmm... just checked for graphics driver updates and something was released on Wednesday. But I didn't think Windows would update that automatically.

I dunno, maybe I should get the newest drivers and give that a try.
Old 04-29-11, 09:15 PM   #81
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Well, what I ended up doing was downloading the newest drivers... then I had second thoughts and went back and downloaded the Win7 64-bit version of the last version of the 9.* Catalyst Control Center suite of drivers/apps etc. Judging by the date it would have been CCC 9.* that I had on my system with XP 32-bit, and I had ME working fine with no problems then, with the Res Fix installed. As long as I renamed the d3d9.dll file while using it, everything displayed perfectly.

So I uninstalled all the CCC stuff from ATI and then uninstalled the gfx card itself in Device Manager, including whatever drivers might still be there. Then rebooted and let Windows find the card and install the default drivers for it, and then installed the older version of CCC and whatever came with it.

Now I have my extended displays back with my monitor as 1 and TV as 2 and ME works fine in the game installs without Res Fix, and fine in the ones with it as long as I run it using that little .bat file described above to rename d3d9.dll for the duration.

I don't know what gfx card you have, Jimbuna, but if it's ATI with CCC, you might consider reverting to an older version of that and the drivers and see what happens.

The next test will be to fire up the game and see what happens. I went into the onboard menu for my monitor and set the Image Size to "Auto" because a couple people with the same or similar Samsung models have said that doing that caused the game to run in 4:3 no matter what the gfx software wanted to do as far as rescaling. If it doesn't work I'll either have to try my little Display Changer tweak again or start playing around with widescreen GUIs.
Old 04-30-11, 06:21 AM   #82
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:

I don't know what gfx card you have, Jimbuna, but if it's ATI with CCC, you might consider reverting to an older version of that and the drivers and see what happens.
My card is an ATI HD5750...I'll have a ganders at the drivers.

Pleased your sorted

Old 04-30-11, 11:55 AM   #83
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Now I have my extended displays back with my monitor as 1 and TV as 2 and ME works fine in the game installs without Res Fix, and fine in the ones with it as long as I run it using that little .bat file described above to rename d3d9.dll for the duration.
SEE! I'm not as dumb as I look.

Umm....

That didn't come out right.
Old 04-30-11, 12:05 PM   #84
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

It's funny, it didn't look as though the existing stuff had been updated to the newest version... but who knows. Maybe something basic got updated that didn't go with the full "suite" of CCC software. At any rate, I was having no trouble with the older drivers I had on here so whatever works.
Old 04-30-11, 05:27 PM   #85
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

What ATI card are you using and do you have a link to the CCC software?

Old 04-30-11, 05:48 PM   #86
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

I've got a Radeon HD 4650.

The page that CCC takes me to for updates is here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...rDriverUpdates

What I got when I put Desktop Graphics, Radeon HD, Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe, and Win7 64 bit into the search filters was this page:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx

Probably the same as for my card, but whatever. That's the newest stuff they have, but if you scroll down there are some links at the bottom including one for Previous Drivers. What I installed was Catalyst 9.12 dated 12/17/2009. I'm pretty sure I had some version of Catalyst 10 before, because I don't think I've upgraded since the first Catalyst 11 release in January 2011. So I reverted to the last release of Catalyst 9 and it works except my screenshots are still borked, but that was a problem I was already having anyway.
Old 04-30-11, 05:52 PM   #87
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:

What I got when I put Desktop Graphics, Radeon HD, Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe, and Win7 64 bit into the search filters was this page:

Probably the same as for my card, but whatever. That's the newest stuff they have, but if you scroll down there are some links at the bottom including one for Previous Drivers. What I installed was Catalyst 9.12 dated 12/17/2009. I'm pretty sure I had some version of Catalyst 10 before, because I don't think I've upgraded since the first Catalyst 11 release in January 2011. So I reverted to the last release of Catalyst 9 and it works except my screenshots are still borked, but that was a problem I was already having anyway.
The same driver that I use on one of my computers, but an update may be up to date but no changes in the CCC panel

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 04:54 AM   #88
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:

Ta for the info....I'll make further investigations

Old 10-07-11, 06:45 AM   #89
Echolot
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 567

Hello.

Today I ran into the black screen issue described by frau kaleun for the first time.

Win 7 64 bit SP1, AMD Catalyst 11.9 (HD5870), i7 860, 8 GB RAM, 1920x1200 (resfix, ME starts via batfile), Windows updates on.

In CCC I use a preset for SHIII with AA and AF enabled.

>> Black screen.

I go to CCC and set to "Defaults".

>> ME works well.

Back in CCC I enable SHIII profile.

>> Black screen.

Maybe it helps.

Regards.

Echolt.
Echolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11, 09:16 PM   #90
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Bumping because I ran into the "black screen" problem again when I reinstalled everything on the new computer. And this was without any tinkering with the game resolution using the available d3d9.dll files that allow resolution tinkering.

What I ended up doing was right-clicking on Sh3MissionEditorX2.exe and going to the Compatibility tab, and selecting the Disable desktop composition option. Windows then disables that feature when I run the ME and re-enables it when I close the program. Opened ME, worked like a charm.

Since I'm now using the widescreen d3d9.dll, I made a .bat file as described upthread by Echolot (and thanks again for that!) to temporarily rename the .dll file when I run ME. Everything still works great, no blackscreen, and the campaign file "maps" display properly.

This is for Windows 7 64-bit.