SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-07, 02:06 PM   #226
DirtyACE
Engineer

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

I have another question: If I want to add new music to be played on the gramaphone, do I need to put the files into the gramaphone subfolder within the sound folder? I know the files need to be in .wav format.
DirtyACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 03:54 PM   #227
Schöneboom
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 36

Hi DirtyACE,

Yes, the Gramophone folder is the right place -- but the preferred formats are .ogg & .mp3 -- converters are fortunately easy to find online.

Mach's gut!

Dietrich Schöneboom, U-431
"Es wird klappen, Herr Kaleun. Ganz sicher."
Schöneboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-07, 05:02 PM   #228
DirtyACE
Engineer

Thanks Schöneboom
Old 07-27-07, 02:47 PM   #229
DirtyACE
Engineer

More questions guys:

1. I've read how people stay out on patrol for 20+ days, some even at 65. How is that possible? I did my first patrol from Wilhelmshaven to an area near northern Scotland. I travelled there on Ahead Standard on the surface, setup a search pattern in the area and then tried returning to base but I ran out of fuel. It seems that I was only out in sea for 5 or 6 days max. I'm using a IIA sub by the way.

2. When you patrol your assigned area, is it really necessary to do the search patterns or can you just get to the area and just hold still for 24 hours? Basically not move anywhere unless you spot a contact?

3. When I look at my nav map I see blue, green and read contacts. Red are enemy and blue are friedly. Now the green I'm assuming are neutral, but can you or are you allowed to shoot at those?

4. I noticed before my first patrol that my sub was not fully staffed. Should I completely fill the boat's allowed crew capacity or not? Also, when I get medals or qualifications to give to the crew, which ones should I give and to whom?
Old 07-27-07, 02:57 PM   #230
robj250
Sea Lord

Location: Port Hardy, BC, Canada 75 yo with M.S. & C.O.P.D. & heart problems
Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyACE
More questions guys:

1. I've read how people stay out on patrol for 20+ days, some even at 65. How is that possible? I did my first patrol from Wilhelmshaven to an area near northern Scotland. I travelled there on Ahead Standard on the surface, setup a search pattern in the area and then tried returning to base but I ran out of fuel. It seems that I was only out in sea for 5 or 6 days max. I'm using a IIA sub by the way.

2. When you patrol your assigned area, is it really necessary to do the search patterns or can you just get to the area and just hold still for 24 hours? Basically not move anywhere unless you spot a contact?

3. When I look at my nav map I see blue, green and read contacts. Red are enemy and blue are friedly. Now the green I'm assuming are neutral, but can you or are you allowed to shoot at those?

4. I noticed before my first patrol that my sub was not fully staffed. Should I completely fill the boat's allowed crew capacity or not? Also, when I get medals or qualifications to give to the crew, which ones should I give and to whom?
Question 1 - Your patrol area must have been too far for you to get back to your base.

Question 2 - I patrol my grid, but others just sit there for 24 hours and leave.

Question 3 - Red are enemy, blue are friendly and green are neutral. No you should not sink neutral as it gives you negative renown.

Question 4 - When you are in the office to start your mission, go to the file cabinet and get the rest of your crew.

Rob
robj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 06:51 PM   #231
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Ahead standard is NOT the optimum spped to get max range from your sub. IIRC the best way to find your max range is to check wiht your nav officer on the range at current speed while moving from aroun 7kt through to 9kt. IIRC somewhere in that range is optimum. A Type II won't be able to hang around for 60+ days though unless you run submerged for long periods or you sit at all stop for long periods.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 07:36 PM   #232
robj250
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak
Ahead standard is NOT the optimum spped to get max range from your sub. IIRC the best way to find your max range is to check wiht your nav officer on the range at current speed while moving from aroun 7kt through to 9kt. IIRC somewhere in that range is optimum. A Type II won't be able to hang around for 60+ days though unless you run submerged for long periods or you sit at all stop for long periods.
Thanks very much for adding that TarJak, that simply slipped my mind.
Rob
Old 07-27-07, 10:57 PM   #233
DirtyACE
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak
Thanks TarJak. Will checking with the nav officer also give me the fuel consumption if I'm traveling at a certain speed?
Old 08-19-07, 12:01 PM   #234
BROJD
A-ganger

Downloads: 32

I know it's been asked a gazillion times in various places, but is there a good uber-list of all of the SHIII mods?

I'm currently running Commander and GWX. I want to be able to spice up my gramophone, get light harbor traffic, and see what other mods are out there. I'm not looking for drastic changes.
BROJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 12:12 PM   #235
robj250
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROJD
I know it's been asked a gazillion times in various places, but is there a good uber-list of all of the SHIII mods?

I'm currently running Commander and GWX. I want to be able to spice up my gramophone, get light harbor traffic, and see what other mods are out there. I'm not looking for drastic changes.
Go here:
http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches2005.html

Rob
Old 08-20-07, 03:21 AM   #236
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66

Hi and welcome niteflier

So many new members here lately, hard to keep up with welcoming you all
Old 08-29-07, 06:37 PM   #237
parislord
Nub

Downloads: 19
Default Installation issue:

Installed 80mb 1.03 over 700mb 1.1a now the game gives me nothing but CTD's. Do I not need one of these?

Mike
parislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 09:58 AM   #238
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66

First of, welcome parislord

Sorry to say this but it seams you have made a mess of your installment.
Version 1.03 is for GWX, not The GW1.1a. You will have some uninstalling and reinstalling to do. And while your at it, go download the GWX files as you already have the 1.03 update for it.
Old 09-25-07, 03:36 PM   #239
Col. Caldwell
Gunner

Downloads: 7
Default How to use sonar?

Edit: Moved to another thread.

Last edited by Col. Caldwell; 09-25-07 at 08:48 PM.
Col. Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 08:21 AM   #240
3Jane
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyACE
More questions guys:

I think there is a bug, which affects the game if any alterations are made to the boat or the crew before the very first patrol. I think the sinkings don't register, or renown isn't added for sinkings on that patrol. Some such thing. I always waited until the second patrol before making any alterations.

Fate opposes me in vitality and morality, forced ever onward, burdened, always in shackles.
So this very moment, without tarrying, pluck the quivering strings. Because fate punishes the one who plays, all lament with me.

(http://hosted.filefront.com/KatherineRowan)
3Jane is offline   Reply With Quote