SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-21, 06:03 PM   #1
Imarider
Mate

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0
Default sim.cfg - addition or multiplication?

There are params as fog factor, wave factor, light factor and so on. So, as i found, Ducimus, in hes topic about, talk that "Fog/light/wave factors. Think of them as enviormental dampeners, or how much the environment handicaps the AI. Smaller the number the less the handycap, the larger the number, the more the handycap" In hydrophone section he talk "waves factor is your standard enviormental handycap. 0.5 being quite the handycap, 0.95 being barely a handycap at all."
On the other side in sim.cfg TWoS file TheDarkWraith written for that " lower values than 1 make it harder for AI to detect you" in each section except visual.

So, i'm confused, or for visual settings and all other there are different methods of calculation, or... and here is the question: what method of calculating handicaps uses - addition or multiplication? Its important, because one way lowering values help AI and other help a player.

Last edited by Imarider; 11-20-21 at 07:32 PM.
Imarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 09:12 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarider View Post
There are params as fog factor, wave factor, light factor and so on. So, as i found, Ducimus, in hes topic about, talk that "Fog/light/wave factors. Think of them as enviormental dampeners, or how much the environment handicaps the AI. Smaller the number the less the handycap, the larger the number, the more the handycap" In hydrophone section he talk "waves factor is your standard enviormental handycap. 0.5 being quite the handycap, 0.95 being barely a handycap at all."
On the other side in sim.cfg TWoS file TheDarkWraith written for that " lower values than 1 make it harder for AI to detect you" in each section except visual.

So, i'm confused, or for visual settings and all other there are different methods of calculation, or... and here is the question: what method of calculating handicaps uses - addition or multiplication? Its important, because one way lowering values help AI and other help a player.
more than likely....the factors are multiplicative.
for enemy factors, the higher the decimal the more capable they will be, with 1 (representing 100%) being the highest value.
for your factors, the higher the decimal the more capable YOU will be.

so, applying basic math to game theory, the highest an enemy can sense you is 100% but in game theory, that is a percentage which is the integer 1. by applying a factor to that maximum value, you lower the enemy's capability. 1 x .5 = .5 so the enemy will have some capability at half of maximum.

conversely (or inversely), if the logic for a parm is your capability and not the enemy's, a one means that you can sense 100%. if that is multiplied by a lower factor (.5 or .25), your capability is reduced and therefore you will be handicapped, so to speak.

does that help?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-21, 10:04 PM   #3
Imarider
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
more than likely....the factors are multiplicative.
for enemy factors, the higher the decimal the more capable they will be, with 1 (representing 100%) being the highest value.
for your factors, the higher the decimal the more capable YOU will be.

so, applying basic math to game theory, the highest an enemy can sense you is 100% but in game theory, that is a percentage which is the integer 1. by applying a factor to that maximum value, you lower the enemy's capability. 1 x .5 = .5 so the enemy will have some capability at half of maximum.

conversely (or inversely), if the logic for a parm is your capability and not the enemy's, a one means that you can sense 100%. if that is multiplied by a lower factor (.5 or .25), your capability is reduced and therefore you will be handicapped, so to speak.

does that help?
I'm feeling that for hydrophones, sonar and radar it's multiplicative, yes. But for visual factors it's not. There are many settings (from what i have read now) where those factors made > 1 and commented as handicap for AI (or player). Ducimus write that he didn't make light factor more than 2 because in sunrise and sunset game works bad with that (destroyers eyeless) and he wrote the configuration where all visual factors was more than 1. That is Trigger Maru settings as i have understood.
Old 11-21-21, 12:52 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Imarider!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 02:06 PM   #5
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Don't want to create separate thread. What do I need to change so my periscope would be harder to detect? Because sometimes they detect my scope from 2km. I want to tweak only periscope detection side of things. Visual sensors then surfaced and etc are perfect.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 08:20 AM   #6
Imarider
Mate

So no one know?
Old 11-23-21, 10:21 AM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
Don't want to create separate thread. What do I need to change so my periscope would be harder to detect? Because sometimes they detect my scope from 2km. I want to tweak only periscope detection side of things. Visual sensors then surfaced and etc are perfect.
how fast are you moving when you are detected at a range of 2 km?

secondly, prior to firstly, can you post your JSGME mod list, please?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote