SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-22, 01:50 PM   #1
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default Jutland In 2022?

This one has been around for a long time.

Is it worth buying for a high-powered Windows 10 PC, or will the graphics look like something out of a PC game museum?

How's the game play?
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-22, 01:27 PM   #2
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

You deserve an answer from a long-time Jutland user and I had actually expected some ardent fan to endorse the games.

Quote:
How's the game play?
In my view it's mostly crap with the odd Golden Moment. After experiencing one of the latter, you realize just how much potential SES squandered with their ridiculous DRM, contempt for their customer base and deliberately rejecting any user modding.

Speaking as someone who was once paid real money to teach artillery ballistics and munitions I can observe that SES liked to pretend that their trajectory modelling was somehow realistic but its not and never was. Opening salvo hits at long ranges actually happened but are statistically so rare as to be improbable and yet they are uncomfortably common in the games and that is just the tip of the flawed ahistorical and technical iceberg that is the entire game system.

I would not waste my money again, knowing what I know now and having the complete Jutland/Distant Guns franchise for more than a decade have a pretty solid grasp on the game play and history (more lack thereof really) behind the battles and campaigns.

If I had any, my mantra would probably be along the lines of "Friends don't let friends buy Jutland" and you can take that any way you like. The games have their fans, who forgive it for all of its myriad of faults but they also have their haters, who too often damn it for not doing things that it was never designed to do. For me it scratches a very occasional visual itch but I spend far more time with Steam and Iron, which does the history and technology of its eras much better.

Even after the two Ship Packs there are still significant capital ships missing and Map Pack 1, Coronel and the Falklands was released broken and never fixed so you have been warned. The graphics are dated, I cannot speak to the game's performance in Win-10 but I consistently get 40+ fps using an oldish Win-7 desktop in even the largest battles. Sadly and for the most part, those battles are often no fun at all.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-22, 04:11 PM   #3
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
You deserve an answer from a long-time Jutland user and I had actually expected some ardent fan to endorse the games.

In my view it's mostly crap with the odd Golden Moment. After experiencing one of the latter, you realize just how much potential SES squandered with their ridiculous DRM, contempt for their customer base and deliberately rejecting any user modding.

Speaking as someone who was once paid real money to teach artillery ballistics and munitions I can observe that SES liked to pretend that their trajectory modelling was somehow realistic but its not and never was. Opening salvo hits at long ranges actually happened but are statistically so rare as to be improbable and yet they are uncomfortably common in the games and that is just the tip of the flawed ahistorical and technical iceberg that is the entire game system.

I would not waste my money again, knowing what I know now and having the complete Jutland/Distant Guns franchise for more than a decade have a pretty solid grasp on the game play and history (more lack thereof really) behind the battles and campaigns.

If I had any, my mantra would probably be along the lines of "Friends don't let friends buy Jutland" and you can take that any way you like. The games have their fans, who forgive it for all of its myriad of faults but they also have their haters, who too often damn it for not doing things that it was never designed to do. For me it scratches a very occasional visual itch but I spend far more time with Steam and Iron, which does the history and technology of its eras much better.

Even after the two Ship Packs there are still significant capital ships missing and Map Pack 1, Coronel and the Falklands was released broken and never fixed so you have been warned. The graphics are dated, I cannot speak to the game's performance in Win-10 but I consistently get 40+ fps using an oldish Win-7 desktop in even the largest battles. Sadly and for the most part, those battles are often no fun at all.

-C

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, Randomizer. I sincerely appreciate it. That answers my question very well.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote