SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Pirates & Sailing Ships
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-14, 12:38 AM   #1
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544
Uploads: 0
Default Uncharted Waters Online anyone?

Hi guys

I wonder if anyone is playing/has tried Uncharted Waters Online.
http://uwo.ogplanet.com/en/main.og

I've just started it some two weeks ago and find it overwhelmingly complex.

Any impression or advice from those who played it here, if any?

It plays like some kind of Pirates of the Caribbean, or Sea Dogs, but - once again - terribly complex and complicate. A lot of new concepts different from those of traditional pirate games, some things are not very logical or well explained, and if one does not find a 'mentor' among the experienced players, then the game is just too unforgiving on a newbie player.

On the good side, its free to play and so far I didnt feel the need to spend any real cash for whatever paid boon it might offer. Plus, the community is helpful and they dont look down upon noobs.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 08:48 AM   #2
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I've played UWO for a few months now, and my impression of the game is like you said complex but it can be quite enjoyable once you get used to it. One of the best bits of advice I can give is join a company, which is UWOs version of clans most are welcoming to new players and you can either join one at some point in the tutorial school or join one afterwards.
Another is to get the caution skill as soon as possible, which is a great skill if you a merchant or an adventurer but it is also good for maritime too as it helps you avoid npc pirate attacks, requirements are trade level 3 and you can get the skill at the merchant guilds in London, Seville, Venice, and Genoa.

The discovery cards you get whenever you enter a new port can be reported to one of your nations leaders for money, so its a good way to get some quick cash. Port permits which are required to enter other ports outside of whatever your nations home waters are can be gotten in three ways. One is from fame in which case you will be required to report to the guard at the entrance to the palace, the second is from the storyline for each nation as you will need to go to other parts of the world, and third are from special quests which you can take from one of the national leaders (it will be a scroll with a yellow ribbon as the icon) but keep in mind these quests are generally very difficult to do so don't do them unless your a high enough level. Experience points are always related to what class you picked at the start of the game as well as what job you have, so if your a maritime class and your job is Jr. Officer you will get more experience points for each battle you win, but if you're a Jr. Officer and you try to do trading without changing your job your trade exp points will be lower.

There are four types of sea states, the first in normal which is the Mediterranean, the North Sea, and the Atlantic extending from Britain in the north to the northwest coast of Africa in the south and as far as Copenhagen to the east. The second sea state is hostile waters, which means you can be attacked by another player without warning. These waters consist of the Baltic Sea, the Black Sea, the Canary Islands, and the Azores. All seas or oceans beyond the Azores and Canary Islands are hostile. The third is lawless waters, which is where pirate activity is or has been high. These are normally the Caribbean Sea, the lower half of the west coast of Africa, sometimes the south coast of Africa, the waters around India and East Asia. Pirates will normally use galleys as most favor melee instead of regular sailing ships since galleys carry far more sailors then regular ships. The sea combat against AI controlled ships can and will be very annoying in particular when there is a group of three or more as the enemy ships can fire over/though their own ships and you can't and I've seen it where ships, sailing ships will just magically go backwards even though that's technically impossible without a major wind shift. I hope this helps somewhat and I'll probably add more stuff later and if you have a question about something particular just ask. If you would like my help in-game my main charters name is Foyle and I'm normally online most days during the week and weekend either in the mornings, evenings or all day in some cases.
Old 05-22-14, 09:11 AM   #3
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Kptlt, thank you for your kind advice. You are right in everything you said, as far as I noticed about the game until now. Meet you ingame (Danubius)
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote