SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-23, 02:55 PM   #5596
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Default NautPearlSpecOps Mission

Hey PB,

this mission (194301NautilusP, ID521) is not working as you designed it.
the drop-off goes just fine but the two pick-ups never spawn.
waited days in the shallows near the blue mission marker, but saw nada.
mission start date was 12/2/42.

p.s. there is no 3000-yd marker for Nautilus, just in case someone asks. i created one and it works fine. i know that is not your mod but you get asked (and answer) a lot of questions on mods-that-are-not-yours.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
200 Nihon Kaigun v1.3_FotRSU
300 Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
310 Combined Roster
399_NoScrollNavMap
410_Strategic_Map_Symbols
600 - 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)
999 Flotillas Fix for Argo&Nautilus

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-23, 04:10 PM   #5597
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

In both my FotRSU v1.8 and my FotRSU nextBeta version, the 2 rescue rafts spawn when you reach the "Trip" MapZone, which is 52km in size in v1.8, and 66.68km in size in nextBeta. I ran the v1.8 file prior to its release, and ran the nextBeta a couple of months ago. Both give me a message on my way in of 2 rafts will meet us, and as I am dropping the supplies, I am able to pick-up both rafts. I then take them to Tulagi and drop them off. I then go to St. George's channel and patrol. The whole time in the area, the air is saturated with airplanes, both Allied and Japanese, so it can be a challenge to get anywhere very fast. Even coming into Tulagi can be a bother, but especially going by the Shortlands on my way to St George's can take a while. But the rafts should spawn on your way in, and should be just a pinch south of the center of the drop zone, but in another zone of their own...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-23, 05:11 PM   #5598
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In both my FotRSU v1.8 and my FotRSU nextBeta version, the 2 rescue rafts spawn when you reach the "Trip" MapZone, which is 52km in size in v1.8, and 66.68km in size in nextBeta. I ran the v1.8 file prior to its release, and ran the nextBeta a couple of months ago. Both give me a message on my way in of 2 rafts will meet us, and as I am dropping the supplies, I am able to pick-up both rafts. I then take them to Tulagi and drop them off. I then go to St. George's channel and patrol. The whole time in the area, the air is saturated with airplanes, both Allied and Japanese, so it can be a challenge to get anywhere very fast. Even coming into Tulagi can be a bother, but especially going by the Shortlands on my way to St George's can take a while. But the rafts should spawn on your way in, and should be just a pinch south of the center of the drop zone, but in another zone of their own...
nope. didn't happen.
what date was your test run?
just to be sure that the mission files were not corrupted, i re-unzipped them from the 1.8 download zip file before shoving off.

we just entered the "trip zone". TC dropped from 1024 to 1 and an objective icon appeared, but no survivors.

we are approaching the common area of drop off and pick up. no surviviors.

we are slowing in order to drop off the spies. no survivors.

we just successfully dropped off the spies. objective completed. no survivors.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 07-14-23 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-14-23, 09:28 PM   #5599
propbeanie

You have a 3k yard bearing tool, and are over 3000yds away from where they spawn, and they do drift, so... I would look south of the center of the drop-off area, closer to where the actual Rescue Area sign and stick are. The green circle is an approximation of the two MapZones's overlap areas are.

Old 07-14-23, 10:12 PM   #5600
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
You have a 3k yard bearing tool, and are over 3000yds away from where they spawn, and they do drift, so... I would look south of the center of the drop-off area, closer to where the actual Rescue Area sign and stick are. The green circle is an approximation of the two MapZones's overlap areas are.
...but they should be visible on the Nav Map.

survivors appear when the sub is miles away...maybe as many as 10 or 15 miles, during lifeguard missions. this should be no different.

LAA enabled
Old 07-15-23, 09:18 AM   #5601
propbeanie

ahhh... but that only happens when they are set to report their position... Those two are not. They're shneaky like that... lol

Old 07-15-23, 11:54 AM   #5602
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
ahhh... but that only happens when they are set to report their position... Those two are not. They're shneaky like that... lol
yeah, sneaky.

Jan 31 ~2100 hrs. wafting, in storm seas, 850 yds from the pickup marker.

February 2 ~0200, approx 2 1/2 after the previous screenshot. approx 200 yds from pickup marker.

no one, i repeat, no one to pickup.

LAA enabled
Old 07-15-23, 07:08 PM   #5603
propbeanie

Well... I may have found part of the trouble KaleunMarco - it is the weather! Plus, the "survivors" sometimes "drift" on you. I started the test with clear weather, but when about 120nm out from Teop Harbor, the weather began deteriorating, until it was very heavy seas. Never any rain though... Here's the results of my last run KM. This is in what will be the new version before too long (at least 2 weeks... ). The Objective area is smaller, is the only difference, other than I set both rafts to report in 96 minutes, at a 70% rate for this test, just so I could make certain to find them... HAH! only the one reported... hmmm. I think I spent too much time diving for planes... anyway, it's a good thing I set them to report. When the first report came, I marked it:

So coming on in, this is a shot with my boat ~maybe~ 800 yards away from the two pickup targets... hmmm... - no "ship spotted" reports yet.

Check this out - I finally got a report from the crew "Ship spotted!...", but only on the one... look at the distance involved here...

Granted, the seas are rough, but still... that is in REAL CLOSE... - the report for the 2nd liferaft came shortly, but at maybe 250-300 yards. I did finally manage to pick-up the boat on the left about then, but had a really difficult time with the boat to starboard, and finally gave up, came to a stop to be able to reverse, and while doing so, launched the supply raft, which was successful. Then I backed away, and was turning the sub, looking for the other boat, when "BOOM!!!" and this:

My boat is to the left in that. Makes a skipper and crew feel real good to have transported them yae-hooz this far, to have them blow themselves up... sigh

Anyway, after finally backing and getting the other pickup target closer to dead-ahead, we did finally manage to pick them up. All I can say though, is that rough seas definitely make this a very difficult chore...

Little note here, it does only take picking-up up one target, and the objective is completed, so don't sweat too much about missing one that gets washed-up onto the beach, which these guys almost did... So, the weather kept deteriorating, but no rain... it was a REALLY dark night. Here is a shot immediately after an F12 external move, just north of Teop Harbor:

We went to do the patrol objective next, so as not to have to go by Shortland more than once... lol - We got a "sonar contact...", but notice the extimated range of 8.3nm, which is short for FotRSU, and no radar contact at that distance...

I did cheat and send a "drone" out to spy on the contact, and found this:

It's a little late for a Tokyo Express run to Guadalcanal, but they do look like they're headed for Buka, or the Shortlands, and might be headed for one of the other Slot islands... it is a group of six DD, 3 of which are Kaya transports (they do have throwers in FotRSU for some reason... sigh), 2 Momi (no throwers, I hope), and one torpedo boat (Chidori??). I am going to attempt an attack from the north side of the group, on at least the Kaya to the outside of the grouping, maybe a 2nd target, and then go deep and south (thermal is at about 150), and try to attack the Kaya on the other side... this will take a while... I am almost certain though, that the lot of them will all want to do the ashcan dance on us.

Old 07-15-23, 08:02 PM   #5604
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well... I may have found part of the trouble KaleunMarco - it is the weather! Plus, the "survivors" sometimes "drift" on you. I started the test with clear weather, but when about 120nm out from Teop Harbor, the weather began deteriorating, until it was very heavy seas. Never any rain though... Here's the results of my last run KM. This is in what will be the new version before too long (at least 2 weeks... ). The Objective area is smaller, is the only difference, other than I set both rafts to report in 96 minutes, at a 70% rate for this test, just so I could make certain to find them... HAH! only the one reported... hmmm. I think I spent too much time diving for planes... anyway, it's a good thing I set them to report.
well, that's something.
how did you control the weather to perform the test run?

i went back and reloaded the mission and got as close as you did....300 yds and no one was reported or seen.

so, we shoved off for the six-day patrol area.
we ran into a continuous stream of that convoy you referred to.
sank a million of the ships until i got a headache and we exited towards the pick up area only to run into another of those re-supply convoys.

with the patrol completed, we sailed back to the pick-up zone, but nothing was there.

we did an RTB and put in for repairs and a well-deserved rest at the Royal Hawaiian.

LAA enabled
Old 07-16-23, 04:28 PM   #5605
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Operation Landcrab

we are just about ready to shove off for our Operation Landcrab mission in the Aleutians.

i think i did this one when i skippered the Narwhal. lots of waiting, if i remember correctly.

Addendum: after we picked up the assault troops and were steaming towards our next objective, four liberators flew over us and summarily crashed. no other craft of any kind was in the area. was that purposeful within the mission or just something odd that occurred and we just happened to be near?

p.s. does it mess up the mission if we drop off the assault troops prior to 9 may?

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 07-16-23 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-17-23, 10:37 AM   #5606
propbeanie

I am not sure why you are not getting any boats to "pick-up" there KM... unless the bad weather destroyed them, the way it destroyed my supply drop boat... hmmm...

As for dropping off early in the Aleutians, seems to me that those messages you receive are just "fluff" for immersion, and that you can drop them off whenever you get there. You just won't see all of the invasion traffic if going in early - of which I was almost run-down by a Clemson / Manley Class one run... I did not check my scope before surfacing... lol - but the mission "trips" will happen no matter the date, because "date" triggers do not function appropriately in SH4, and only do accrued time, not true "date" time...

Old 07-19-23, 08:52 PM   #5607
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Nautilus Career - Back to the Future

Driving the Nautilus out of Pearl.
12 successful missions.
January 20, 1944.
on the way back to Pearl, i noticed that our base had moved to San Diego.
we were patrolling near Palau.
we stopped off at Johnston Is. to refuel, etc and then made long journey to SD.
Our next mission is diving tests.

you gotta fix this.

LAA enabled
Old 07-19-23, 09:33 PM   #5608
propbeanie

Your boat sir, has been retired... there is a future plan for taking it to Philadelphia for mothballs, but that has not been implemented yet... We might add a couple of sound school missions for you to work with local ASW patrols, but nothing has been written for those as of yet, hence the dive and other test missions.

Old 07-20-23, 11:28 PM   #5609
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Your boat sir, has been retired... there is a future plan for taking it to Philadelphia for mothballs, but that has not been implemented yet... We might add a couple of sound school missions for you to work with local ASW patrols, but nothing has been written for those as of yet, hence the dive and other test missions.
i wouldn't mind being transferred to Philly. it can be a fun town.
i can remember one night we were in Philly after losing to Army by one point and....well....you're too young for this story.

LAA enabled
Old 07-21-23, 07:12 AM   #5610
propbeanie

Oooh-ooo-ooooohhhh - Shtory Time!!!