SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-07, 11:42 AM   #1
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1
Default How to setup FaT-I torpedoes?

I did a search, but found next to nothing about this.
It's the 1st time ever that I got these torpedoes, and about to get them into action.
I'm using the weapons-officer as assistance.
With no target selected, there isn't much I can change on this panel, but I want to know what to do, when the moment is there.

How to proceed, once I have a target selected? I've read in the manual, that the ideal situation is firing from directly abeam of a convoy.

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 12:23 PM   #2
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

At the initial screen you select speed, depth and pistol as usual. Then click the [fat] window to bring up a secondary screen (which is where you are now), where you set initial straight-run leg length (how far before the torpedo begins its ladder searching; the range on the dial is in hundreds of meters, so a setting of 25 is a straight run of 2,500 meters) the 2nd gyro angle is direction for the ladder searching (whether the torpedo turns to the left or right; it seems to be for these kinds only settable to +90 or - 90 degrees), and leg, which is how far each ladder leg runs before turning.

If you zoom out on the screen (decrease the scale) you'll see the pattern the torpedo runs, too.

Here is an example of how to use it:

Say you're abeam of your target, at a range of 3,500 meters. Set the straight run length for 40 (4,000 meters). Set the leg between 300 and 500 meters. Set the 2nd gyro angle depending if the target is passing right-to-left or left-to-right, so that the ladder pattern keeps looping in the direction your target is traveling.

It works! I sunk a large, zig-zagging cargo at 5,500 range, but it took the torpedo several ladder passes before it finally hit.

Last edited by Albrecht Von Hesse; 03-07-07 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 02:12 PM   #3
Paajtor
The Old Man

Thx, gonna try this!

Old 03-07-07, 07:01 PM   #4
IRONxMortlock
Watch Officer

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

So is the "straight" run only applicable for the first part of its trip towards the target?

In that case does it mean that once the fish reaches this distance it will make a 90 degree turn then proceed "leg" distance before making another 90 degree turn?

What happens after this second turn?
________
CHEAP EASY VAPE VAPORIZER

Last edited by IRONxMortlock; 08-14-11 at 02:57 PM.
IRONxMortlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-07, 10:46 AM   #5
Paajtor
The Old Man

It depends on what speed you selected for the torpedo.
The lower the speed, the longer the pattern will continue.

After the 2nd turn comes another leg, then a turn, then a leg, etc.
At lowest speed, the FaT-I can make around 4-5 legs...the shorter the straight run, the longer the searching-pattern can be.

There are some limitations for this torpedo-type, as I found out:

- As VonHesse already said, you can only pick between a L or a R turn for the 2nd gyroangle...nothing inbetween.
- As for the length of the leg, the FaT-I can only be set to either 800, or 1600m.
- The pattern-angle can't be changed at all.

Indeed, it helps if you zoomout on the F6-map...now you can see what effect your settings have.