SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-13, 12:10 AM   #31
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
The Hobby Boss 688 would be a good place to start as would the K-19 from Zvezda. The Lionfish would be a little more difficult if you wanted to get it right, I've seen pics of what some parts of that kit look like and I would try and remake the railings on the conning tower with small gauge wire, dremmel the limberholes and put some backing material behind them to simulate the inner hull.
The K-19 would be good. That was the first one that caught my eye. Ever since the movie, I've loved the Hotel Class. I want one on my shelf. I think I'll go for that one since you say the Lionfish will be harder.

Just got to raise some funds now... I like the selection on that web store. They've got more options than the other model sites.
Old 03-24-13, 06:30 AM   #32
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18

Always good to see someone interested in getting into the hobby!

I've been modelling for probably 15 years and I think its one of the best hobbies you can have!

Just thought I'd add my couple of tips:

1: Always cut parts off the sprue (plastic tree) don't bend them off, and leave a bit on the part to be cut off with a sharp knife when it has been removed from the sprue. This ensures that you don't cut anything important off, or take a slice out of the part. Though rest assured I still do that from time to time lol.

2: Use a sanding stick, either a proper modelling one, or even a cheap nail emery board to remove any rough plastic, bits left behind from sprues etc. It will ensure the parts fit better and is a really easy way to improve the look of your model.

3: Always dry fit parts before you glue them. Again, this just ensures the bits fit right and you can do any adjustments before it's permanent. Some glues, like Tamiya extra thin and Mr Cement allow you to actually put the parts together dry and run the glue around the join meaning the capillary action will draw the thin glue into the gap. This cuts down on sanding and generally gives a neater join.

4: As has already been said, Tamiya acrylic paints are a good starting point. In fact they are pretty much all I use. They offer a great range, and are very forgiving, even when brush painting. As for a brush, best thing you can do is spend as much as you can on a few really good ones. Get a smallish one for details, a larger round one for camo work, and maybe a wider flat one for covering larger surfaces.

5: Don't be worried about messing it up! We've all done it, we've all broke bits, missed bits out, put the wrong part on, stuck our fingers to bits, got fingerprints everywhere, spilled paint all over the model. Just last week I dripped paint out of my airbrush all down the side of my freshly painted FW190 lol. Practice makes perfect.

I bought myself an airbrush off amazon just over a year ago for around £100 and it's the best thing I ever bought. My modelling has improved beyond all recognition since then. However, that isn't say you can't get a good finish with a brush, tbh, if you thin the paint slightly and use a wide brush you can get a finish on par with an airbrush.

Seriously though, just have fun damnit!

This is my latest model, a 1/48 scale FW190D-9 by Eduard. The culmination of 15 years modelling as it's by far the best I've ever done, I was very pleased with how it turned out, especially the mottled camo.

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 11:59 AM   #33
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A good source of submarine models:

http://www.themotorpool.net/Easy-Mod...ies-s/1013.htm

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 12:11 PM   #34
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrimmer42 View Post
This is my latest model, a 1/48 scale FW190D-9 by Eduard. The culmination of 15 years modelling as it's by far the best I've ever done, I was very pleased with how it turned out, especially the mottled camo.
That's a darn good model right there. I love it!

Thanks for the tips too! I'll be sure to remember those.
Old 03-25-13, 08:43 AM   #35
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

damn fine FW-190

Tags
model