SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-04-13, 07:01 AM   #16
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I need to do some detailing.
What you need to do is find a better picture-hosting service.

Just teasing. Others seem to see it just fine, so it's probably yet another problem with my crappy old computer.
Old 07-04-13, 07:09 AM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I'm thinking for the next one I should get a 1:48... 1:72 is awesome...but 1:48 is better.

I saw a 1:48 B-17 and a 1:48 B-29 at Hobby Lobby. They want like 50$ for the -29 and 40$ for the -17! It's crazy!
They make 1/24 scale models of certain fighters.

On the other hand I disagree. I've always thought 1/72 was just about perfect, kind of like H-O for trains. You get something small enough for storage but big enough for fine detailing. Of course the fact that nobody makes a 1/48 scale B-36 or B-52 has some influence.
Old 07-04-13, 07:45 AM   #18
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

I'd built various 1:72 and 1:48 aircraft up until I was about 18, haven't built one since even though sitting in the cupboard at my mum's in my old bedroom is an unbuilt Harrier. I think the most fun I had though was with a 1:48 SR-71. It'd been completed about five years previously but had suffered some knocks in moving, a friend and I decided to insert some firework rockets in the engines. Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance (and aim along an empty path in the park). Woooooof, off it went straight along the path, hit a bump and seemingly went vertical for a second or two before exploding in the traditional firework fashion. We ran over and stomped on the flaming plastic.

Don't play with fireworks, kids.
Old 07-04-13, 11:22 AM   #19
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
They make 1/24 scale models of certain fighters.

On the other hand I disagree. I've always thought 1/72 was just about perfect, kind of like H-O for trains. You get something small enough for storage but big enough for fine detailing. Of course the fact that nobody makes a 1/48 scale B-36 or B-52 has some influence.
1:72 is great....but... I think the model of the TBM Avenger is 1:48...and so is the Mustang and the P-47 at the store.

1:48 would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I'd built various 1:72 and 1:48 aircraft up until I was about 18, haven't built one since even though sitting in the cupboard at my mum's in my old bedroom is an unbuilt Harrier. I think the most fun I had though was with a 1:48 SR-71. It'd been completed about five years previously but had suffered some knocks in moving, a friend and I decided to insert some firework rockets in the engines. Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance (and aim along an empty path in the park). Woooooof, off it went straight along the path, hit a bump and seemingly went vertical for a second or two before exploding in the traditional firework fashion. We ran over and stomped on the flaming plastic.

Don't play with fireworks, kids.

But it's 4th of July!

I won't be doing THAT with my P-40 but I will be playing SAFELY with fireworks.
Old 07-04-13, 11:51 AM   #20
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Congrats. Have fun building you kit. Good choice of kit. I think my P-40 is the same kit. My only recommendation is, if you're really happy with how it turns out, get a small display case for it to keep the dust off it, so it looks nice.
Old 07-04-13, 12:38 PM   #21
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Congrats. Have fun building you kit. Good choice of kit. I think my P-40 is the same kit. My only recommendation is, if you're really happy with how it turns out, get a small display case for it to keep the dust off it, so it looks nice.
It's put together and basically done. My bare bones P-40B...

I just need to get some Decal Solution and some more paint.

I've been converted to modeller. I will definitely do this again soon.

Only complaint I have so far is the weak tail wheel. It's not strong enough to support the model...so I stuck it a bit further up into the tail than it should just so it will sit straight.

EDIT: It was either this or the F4F Wildcat. I spent like 15 minutes trying to decide before I went with the P-40. I've always liked the P-40 and the USAAF planes. The F4F can wait.

Tags
model