SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-16-21, 10:15 PM   #3931
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowenaVopra View Post
A series of special games 2021. Visit the website [removed for lack of good content]
We've got "special games" alright dweebles... you just wait 'till Jimbuna gets here!!! btw, nobody click on that link...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 10:21 PM   #3932
astvitaliy1982
Lieutenant

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 0
Default 1

Поддерживаю товарища . Какие блин " Специальные игры"???
astvitaliy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 10:35 PM   #3933
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowenaVopra View Post
A series of special games 2021. Visit the website [removed for lack of good content]

Keel haul the offender...

M. M.
Old 11-17-21, 07:57 AM   #3934
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We've got "special games" alright dweebles... you just wait 'till Jimbuna gets here!!! btw, nobody click on that link...
Sorted

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 08:09 AM   #3935
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Wondering if you guys (The team) have a improved .dat for the Tachibana DE? Version I have from last release needs some upgrade, as a late war DE in the depth charge department. Only two nodes for Dc, should have stern racks and two launchers launchers.. Don't want to go through the time and effort if you guys already have one and would not mind sharing here or sending to me ?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 09:40 AM   #3936
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default What’s with these airplane attacks?

Need to get something off my chest! I started playing 1.67pre(?) because the airplane attacks in 1.46(?) were relentless. But, now, 1944, the same thing is occurring with 1.67(?) version. My SD radar picks up Bettys at 15nm and they beeline for me, even if I’m at radar depth, or at dusk, pre-dawn, when visibility is limited. This has occurred on patrols off SE coast of Japan, and in northern Philippine Sea west of Iwo and also NW of Mariannas. The fun of playing is waning with the monotony of ducking from these AC game time hours on end.
Anyone else?

Last edited by jldjs; 11-17-21 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-17-21, 12:56 PM   #3937
propbeanie

It's the aircraft radar, and the fact that some of AirBases have too many planes of a given type. Unlike in real life where a base might have six airplanes of a given model, and only have four at a time available due to maintenance or crewing issues, and then they would fly two at a time for a bit, take a break, fly the other two, take a break, lather rinse repeat, etc., the game will take those six airplanes and fly them all, all of the time, no rest for the wicked, and who ever heard of needing fuel, much less crew rest?... Anyway, couple that with an apparently error-proof radar that becomes active about the time you refer to, and it makes for prescient airplanes with an uncanny resemblance to Clark Kent, alias Superman... We have again altered the radars for the next release, and we have included a v1.46-style AddInMod for those that like to crash-dive every fifteen minutes. Perhaps we'll do one with wonky radar on the planes as an alternative AddInMod...

Old 11-17-21, 12:57 PM   #3938
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Need to get something off my chest! I started playing 1.67pre(?) because the airplane attacks in 1.46(?) were relentless. But, now, 1944, the same thing is occurring with 1.67(?) version. My SD radar picks up Bettys at 15nm and they beeline for me, even if I’m at radar depth, or at dusk, pre-dawn, when visibility is limited. This has occurred on patrols off SE coast of Japan, and in northern Philippine Sea west of Iwo and also NW of Mariannas. The fun of playing is waning with the monotony of ducking from these AC game time hours on end.
Anyone else?
oh, yeah. get in line with this one.
my suggestion is to create a mini-mod for yourself and include the folder MODS\Data\Cfg. then copy the Aircraft.cfg file from the SH4-game folder of the same name. use a plain text editor such as Notepad and lower the "modifiers", especially the night modifier.
you could also think about lowering the max range value if you feel that the land-based aircraft are venturing a bit too far into the POA.
then apply your mini-mod as the last mod using JSGME.
PB is going to try and beat me up for this suggestion but, hey, i can take it.
good luck, whichever way to you decide to go.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 01:23 PM   #3939
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
oh, yeah. get in line with this one.
my suggestion is to create a mini-mod for yourself and include the folder MODS\Data\Cfg. then copy the Aircraft.cfg file from the SH4-game folder of the same name. use a plain text editor such as Notepad and lower the "modifiers", especially the night modifier.
you could also think about lowering the max range value if you feel that the land-based aircraft are venturing a bit too far into the POA.
then apply your mini-mod as the last mod using JSGME.
PB is going to try and beat me up for this suggestion but, hey, i can take it.
good luck, whichever way to you decide to go.
Much appreciated. I'll give it a try.
Old 11-17-21, 01:53 PM   #3940
propbeanie

I wouldn't mess with the AirStrike config, since we have already turned it down quite a bit. The main problem lies in the radars, so edit the Betty sns files, and maybe the Judy (world renowned for its ASW tactics in FotRSU) and a few others. If you look at the AirBases - which is where 90% of the planes come from, you will see entries like:
[AirGroup 3]
StartDate=19430802
EndDate=19441014
Squadron2Class=G4MBetty
Squadron2No=2
Squadron5Class=G4MBettyTorp
Squadron5No=2
Squadron6Class=G4MBettyDive
Squadron6No=2

[AirGroup 4]
StartDate=19441015
EndDate=19451231
Squadron1Class=Q1W1
Squadron1No=2
Squadron2Class=G4MBetty
Squadron2No=2
Squadron5Class=G4MBettyDive
Squadron5No=2
Squadron9Class=ADB_D4Y3
Squadron9No=2
Squadron10Class=ASW_B6N2
Squadron10No=2
... as found in the "LAB_LargeAirBaseJP.cfg" file, and of which ~ALL~ the numbers have been reduced from 6 and 8 and 10, or some as high as 12 back when... In the AirStrike cfg, we turned down not only the chance for night attack, but the frequency of the chance, and the chance percentage, both under "normal", radio broadcast, and detection, with further reductions this next release. It's not so much that file, as the game ~knows~ where you are at all times (database) and rolls the dice to see the "chance" encounter possibility with an airplane, but ups the equation result when there is radar on an airplane involved, under the assumption that a radar operator is flawlessly perfect in their skills (apparently)... Look at the G4M Betty sns file, edit the radar lines, and you should then have a lower chance of direct, bee-line encounters, which is what we're also trying with this next release (which is kicking and screaming its way to the release table):
[Sensor 4]
NodeName=R01
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19440311

[Sensor 5]
NodeName=R01
LinkName=Type_H6
StartDate=19440312
EndDate=19451231
I have too many edits in front of me to research whether this is the latest iteration, or an interim version, but just take that #4 sensor, and make it NULL until say 19450630, and the #5 StartDate then 19450701, and you shouldn't encounter the radar plane then. Sure, the AirStrike.cfg is a one-stop-shop to try a fix, but it affects ALL planes. You probably only have to reduce the radar, from what we've seen in testing. For a future release, we might try to edit the sensors themselves, closer to the pre-fix days, back when someone fixed the Japanese radar to near-perfect status... lol - but a Betty does have HF/DF capability, as well as radar detection, and some had MAD gear, which could indeed home-in on a sub and bee-line attack them at all hours of the day, hence our idea of having a "ToughAI_Airplanes" AddInMod choice. We'll just add another for the other end of the spectrum also...

btw, use something like Notepad++, and do a "Search In Files", limiting it to the Air folder, with a "*.sns" filter, and find all of the planes with radar, by searching for "NodeName=R01", then find all of the Japanese planes in the list, and NULL out those nodes.

Old 11-17-21, 02:29 PM   #3941
propbeanie

OK, along these lines then, there are 186 hits in 78 files in the Air folder for radar nodes. Of those, 44 hits in 23 files are Japanese planes. Of those, we can eliminate looking at the hits with only one return, since for the most part, those are NULL, such as the Kate & Val up top. That leaves 38 hits in 17 files. The "Kamikaze" type planes are 3, and need all of the help they can get to be "deadly", and don't come online until after late October of 1944, so that leaves 32 hits in 14 files. Of those, four planes use Type_MarkI, or Type MarkIII, or Type MarkVII, or ASV_MarkI and ASV_MarkVII. Those planes do not seem to be so "strong" in finding the player's submarine, which leaves us with nine planes that use the H6 radar. Those would be the ones we'll concentrate on for the release after next for FotRSU, if things don't improve enough with this next release. Either way, though, we'll try to mix up a "NoIJNARadar" AddIn mod for this coming release, in addition to the "TougherAIAirRadar" for this pending release. We'll probably also set the Judy's radar to later start dates... We will the H6K & H8k planes alone. Maybe add a radar-less Betty to the Roster and AirGroups. All kinds of options.

For those wanting to edit now, the plane list is:
D4Y3 Judy - MarkI & MarkIII
G4MBetty - H6
BettyDive - H6
Q1W1 - H6
Nakajima - H6
Jake - H6
Pete - H6
ALBS Betty - H6
ALBS H6K - ASV MarkI & ASV MarkVII
ALBS H8K - Same
ASW B6N2 - MarkIII & MarkVII
ASW H6K - H6
ASW H8K - H6
The H6 radar is the primary suspect, but the early radar on the D4Y3 is also.

Old 11-17-21, 08:11 PM   #3942
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Much appreciated. I'll give it a try.
see? i told you he would beat me up!

LAA enabled
Old 11-17-21, 08:58 PM   #3943
propbeanie

"So, yoose needs summ 'nFORSenn boss??..."

Juss sayin', the AirStrike is too easy to do... ya hasta make it tuff!

... and I'm thinking out loud, spitballin', and have a couple of AddInModz now...

Old 11-17-21, 09:50 PM   #3944
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Juss sayin', the AirStrike is too easy to do... ya hasta make it tuff!
EXACTLY!!!!!

LAA enabled
Old 11-18-21, 10:02 AM   #3945
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!
Though I don't know much about this "stuff", just playin' with AirStrike.config didn't work for me, and I kinda figured the issue is with the Betty having super human sensing, eh, radar perhaps! So I'll wait for the next release as playing now, once into 1944, isn't much fun for me, just sayin'! I'll go back to rel 1.39, as I don't remember having these smart Betty's there.
And, I wouldn't say PB laid a beatin' on just a learning lesson, and for me, a peek of the difficulty he and the FoTRSU team have has to deal with.
Appreciate your replies, all.