SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-12, 05:18 PM   #1
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
[REL] gap - PVC Floor

• Description: PVC Floor v 1.1 for Silent Hunter 5

• Author: gap

• About this mod: a tiny mod for eye candy that has been waiting on my HD for a long time before being packed for release. It replaces metal U-boat floors, featured in stock game, with PVC floors as seen in current day’s U-995 museum ship at Laboe:

http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/0...schine_max.swf
    http://www.deutscher-marinebund.de/0...ntrale_max.swf

I doubt that this is the original floor used during boat’s service with Kriegsmarine, but MiTon ensured me that PVC flooring was especially developed for naval use prior to WWII.

The mod is available in three versions: “main mod” (gray floor with warm tone light reflections), “blue version” (bluish floor) and “green version” (greenish floor). See below for further details on the installation of each version.

• Changelog:

• v 1.1
    - replaced stock footstep sounds with softer, lower-pitched ones;
    - added a new alternative floor color: “green version”.

• v 0.1, pre-release:
    - changed floor_metal texture;
    - changed floor normal map accordingly;
    - included “blue version” as alternative floor color.

• Compatibility:
    - compatible with any version of Silent Unter 5 and any major sub interior mod;
    - it should be also compatible with previous games of the Silent Hunter series.

• Known bugs:
    during beta testing, sporadic fps hit have been recorded, though it was not possible to ascertain wether they were directly related with the usage of this mod.

• Installation:
    - install JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler if you have not done it yet, and configure it to the SH5 installation path (detailed instructions on how to configure it found here);
    - look into your main <Silent Hunter 5> installation folder for a subfolder called <MODS> and create if it is not there;
    - unzip the main mod, called <gap - PVC Floor v 0.1 for SH5 – main mod>, and and drop it as it is into the <MODS> folder;
    - enable it after any sub interior mod, using JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler;
    - • optional: unzip “blue version” or “green version” in <MODS> folder and enable it after the main mod.

• Acknowledgements:
    - MiTon for directing me to the panoramic views of U-995’s interior that I got inspired from, for providing me with historical information, and for beta testing;
    - Stoianm and everyone else who commented on this mod on subsim forum, for their suggestions and for beta testing.
    - A special thank to GT182 for being the unwitting inspirer of the new footstep sounds.

• Disclaimer:
    - this package is not related to or supported by UBISOFT© nor it is intended for any commercial use;
    - the author of this package takes no responsibility for any damage occurred to the data in your computer due to its use.
    - feel free to redistribute this package for free as long as you do not alter it in any part, including this readme;
    - feel free to use this package -as a whole or in part- for your own freely distributed mod, as far as you acknowledge its author.

Get it HERE, or by clicking on the above banner

Preview:

Last edited by gap; 01-30-20 at 02:24 PM. Reason: changed image hosting service
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 06:54 PM   #2
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658
Uploads: 0

Cool beans Gap! Now we have really silent footsteps. I'll have it installed asap. Will it be ok to install while at sea?

Question on the interior color. In the panorama views, is that the real inrterior color of the times back in WWII, or painted that way so it's easier to see the interior in today's time? I've seen U-boat interiors but can't remember the color they used back then.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 07:38 PM   #3
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Cool beans Gap!
Thak you GT182

Quote:
Now we have really silent footsteps.
You just gave me an excellent idea!

Quote:
I'll have it installed asap. Will it be ok to install while at sea?
I think so.
Please, report any lag with the use of this mod.

Quote:
Question on the interior color. In the panorama views, is that the real inrterior color of the times back in WWII, or painted that way so it's easier to see the interior in today's time? I've seen U-boat interiors but can't remember the color they used back then.
Imo dark U-boat interiors are just a faulty meme that spread over with the help of movies like Das boot.
Think of it: why would they have painted the interior of their boats with dark paintgs? Wasn't it claustrophobic enough, yet? Adopting dark colours would have only worsened the situation, with both psychological and practical bad effects on crews efficiency.

But then again, this is just my speculation, since I have never visited an U-boat.
Old 09-25-12, 08:46 PM   #4
CaliEs
Loader

Downloads: 27

Interesting mod. Will download.
Some pictures from ingame would be good.
Old 09-25-12, 10:00 PM   #5
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Gap, remember, we do have Sober's No Footstep Sound mod. It works already and should also work with your PVC Floor v 0.1 for Silent Hunter 5. Try it first with Sober's before you jump in changing anything. Looks like I won't get to try your PVC mod until late tomorrow. I have to work all day tomorrow..... unless it rains.

Old 09-25-12, 11:23 PM   #6
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66

Old 09-26-12, 02:54 AM   #7
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

do u have news from MiTon gap?... maybe he was a spy!?!?
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 05:26 AM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEs View Post
Interesting mod. Will download.
Some pictures from ingame would be good.
done... by LemonA (thank you matey)

Quote:
Gap, remember, we do have Sober's No Footstep Sound mod. It works already and should also work with your PVC Floor v 0.1 for Silent Hunter 5. Try it first with Sober's before you jump in changing anything.
I'll release soon a Carpet U-boat Floor Mod for maximum compatibility with sober's No Footstep Mod

In the meanwhile I have something else in mind. I've found some audio samples that may suit, with some editing, our brand new PVC floor.

Quote:
Looks like I won't get to try your PVC mod until late tomorrow. I have to work all day tomorrow..... unless it rains.
I you look at when the files featured in this mod were modified the last time, you will notice that I had forgot them in a dusty corner of my external HD for more that one year. I am sure that you will take a better care of them than I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoianm View Post
do u have news from MiTon gap?... maybe he was a spy!?!?
Don't tell anyone, but I am 99% sure he is an under cover British Intelligence agent. Do you remember his interest in enigma code?

More, I've discovered that his speech recognition engine is installing microphones everywhere on our U-boat. I've found one of them in the stew, and yet another one under von Dobenecker's blindfold.
Old 09-26-12, 05:57 AM   #9
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Interesting mod, Gap, nice work , but i will only wait for your Carpet Floor Mod (could we choose carpet colour and thickness ? )

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 10:44 AM   #10
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnahud2 View Post
Interesting mod, Gap, nice work , but i will only wait for your Carpet Floor Mod (could we choose carpet colour and thickness ? )

Gap,
Great Mod. I've been waiting for a differant floor for the boats, this looks like the trick.
If we dogo to carpet, I would like an indoor/outdoor green to resist water damage and...oh never mind.
Loading up the mod, I'll tell you if my computer goes into FPS shock.

D40
Old 09-26-12, 10:50 AM   #11
Kalleblom
Lieutenant

Downloads: 74

Nice mod and good work.

But one thought about, the floor in U-995 museum ship at Laboe wouldn´t be the original in this times.
Old 09-26-12, 10:51 AM   #12
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Cool beans Gap! Now we have really silent footsteps.
Old 09-26-12, 11:18 AM   #13
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnahud2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post

Gap,
Great Mod. I've been waiting for a differant floor for the boats, this looks like the trick.
If we dogo to carpet, I would like an indoor/outdoor green to resist water damage and...oh never mind.
Pick the colour you prefer from our assorted pattern book of first-rate moquettes...

May I suggest a cream color? It will make a good contrast with Naight's dark interior.
Or rather you are into persian carpets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
Loading up the mod, I'll tell you if my computer goes into FPS shock.

D40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalleblom View Post
Nice mod and good work.

But one thought about, the floor in U-995 museum ship at Laboe wouldn´t be the original in this times.
from the first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I doubt that this is the original floor used during boat's service with Kriegsmarine, but MiTon ensured me that PVC flooring was especially developed for naval use prior to WWII.
You can consider this mod from realistic to semi-ficticious... blame it on MiTon

Last edited by gap; 09-26-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 11:09 AM   #14
GT182
Ocean Warrior

This mod will install while you're at sea on patrol. No problems seen so far.

I save all my mods in a special place...... on a DVD. I learnt my lesson the hard way.

Old 09-29-12, 05:10 AM   #15
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Pick the colour you prefer from our assorted pattern book of first-rate moquettes...

May I suggest a cream color? It will make a good contrast with Naight's dark interior.
Or rather you are into persian carpets?

from the first post:

You can consider this mod from realistic to semi-ficticious... blame it on MiTon

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, graphics, pvc, u-boat interior