SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-23, 02:06 PM   #1
Rigel44
Sailor man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0
Default Pacific Patrol Area Map

There is a book called Patrol Area 14: US Navy World War II Submarine Patrols to the Mariana Islands and then there is a movie reference to Area 7 being off the coast of Japan in home waters. Has anyone every found a map that shows these designated patrol areas used by ComSubPac and SoWesPac command to assign area of operation?

If not a map - a list?

Thanks for any help anyone has....
Rigel44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-23, 04:02 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

You can find a couple of maps in the manual for the TMO mod.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=2999

I looked around, but couldn't find any better images on my disk. I know I used to have some, but no idea where they ended up.
Old 10-11-23, 05:37 PM   #3
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

I can verify that the FotRSU install has the area "marked" on the navigational map. It's at the mouth of the Bungo Straights.

Go south from Tokyo along the coast until you get to the Straights and you'll see a number "7" just south of it out to sea.

There are also several other areas around Japan and the Philippines on there.

I can't speak for the TMO install since I don't have it installed. I went with FotRSU since I was under the impression it was basically a "best of them" mix for TMO, RSRD, and RFB. Not sure if that's correct, but I really like the way it plays out and the amount of detail there is -- especially with the full interiors and fix installed.

Hope this helped!

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-23, 01:13 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I also could not find my map pictures... but there used to be a chart on the internet that showed them all. So here is a screen grab of the SH4 Mission Editor with a couple of "name" files loaded:

TMO, TMOwTw, FOTRS and FotRSU has them, but all have them because TMO had them first.

Here is a cover of a pdf file I have, which is the closest I got to finding a chart online, and it is part of an article - but really good reading. I just searched on it to link you to it, but it is no longer a research paper, but rather an onliine "book"... hmmm

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-23, 07:00 AM   #5
Rigel44
Sailor man

Thank you - this is what I had in mind. I printed out the TMO manual and those maps are the ones I had in mind but see that has been replicated in the mission editor (I admit I have never use the mission editor so I was not aware). I tried hard to search online for a digital version of what is in the TMO manual thinking if I could find a digital file of reasonable resolution I could print that out larger scale but I have so far come up empty on that. This should work for now but I will not give up trying to find that map that obviously someone found to be able to include it in the TMO manual.

Thanks again!
Old 10-12-23, 07:48 AM   #6
Rigel44
Sailor man

I believe this is the source file for the maps - it is an extensive military report (1000+ pages) on the Battle of Leyte Gulf

Defense Technical Information Center (.mil)
https://apps.dtic.mil › sti › pdf › ADA003030
Based on Allied and Japanese records and data, this volume recounts the chronology of the operations of both sides in the. Battle of Surigao Strait.
Old 10-12-23, 02:37 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That would be ADA003030.pdf, which will take a while to load in your machine since it is over 700 pages. Pages 166 and 186 have the Submarine Operating Areas Maps. They do not quite line-up, and the one I am remembering, and probably the one Razark is remembering lined-up with each other. Good find though. I never found ~anything~ close... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-23, 04:01 PM   #8
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Pages 166 and 186 have the Submarine Operating Areas Maps. They do not quite line-up, and the one I am remembering, and probably the one Razark is remembering lined-up with each other.
Those look like they might be the source of the ones in the TMO manual, and I think they're the only ones I recall seeing.

I think I had them printed out at one time, and hung on the wall of my cubicle. I need to sort through that box of stuff I brought home from the office at some point, so I might do some digging this weekend and see what I have.
Old 10-12-23, 05:02 PM   #9
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-23, 07:48 PM   #10
ElCid97
Gunner

Something I did tonight using the PDF report from the TMO reference above.

Let me know if this is okay. I can get rid of the stains and the "graininess" which is supposed to simulate cardstock or paper.

You can download at my pics group here on the site, or directly from the above links. Well, I think you can, anyway. Just right-click and open in another tab of your browser or just right-click and download.

They're only limited by the quality of the original b/w I started from, but still very readable.

The originals are bigger (about 2048 in width), so they are more detailed. I can make a zip and post/upload to the site if you folks want.

I know that these could be added as an additional "window" to the sim since it's been done before with Jimimadrid's HUD editor. I'm still learning that since it involves changing far more than I'm used to. If someone knows how to do that, you have my permission to add these as a floating window much like the grammaphone already is.

Too bad you can't just make a draggable image like in SH3. I figured that one out fairly quickly only to find out you can't do that with SH4!

Enjoy!

ElCid97
Old 10-12-23, 10:23 PM   #11
Rigel44
Sailor man

I would love these in higher resolution so I could print out on a poster printer and have larger maps to reference. Thank you all for digging into my question.
Old 10-12-23, 10:25 PM   #12
Rigel44
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
Thank you!

Do you have this in higher resolution? This is slightly different but has some addition ops areas so I would love to print this out larger
Old 10-13-23, 03:28 AM   #13
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

^ no I am sorry, its from Dave Lotz book, I have looked for a larger copy but no luck. Perhaps you could write to the author and find out where he got the chart?

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-23, 05:53 AM   #14
ElCid97
Gunner

Default Maps Uploaded!

Just uploaded the originals in a 7z file.

They're PNG files and are twice as large as the ones in the post.

Credits in the readme and description.

They're under the SH4, Graphics downloads under the main tree (I hope).

Enjoy!

ElCid97

PS: Now if I can finish the BuPers mod ...
Old 10-13-23, 02:09 PM   #15
Rigel44
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Harkaman View Post
^ no I am sorry, its from Dave Lotz book, I have looked for a larger copy but no luck. Perhaps you could write to the author and find out where he got the chart?
Thanks I will see if Dave Lotz has contact info available