SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-24-23, 01:54 PM   #1
david_simons40
Watch

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default Back to SH4

Calling on the valued knowledge of the hive mind.

It’s been a very long time since I have used my PC or played SH4 so I am planning on dusting off the pc and delving back in to the depths of SH4.

Since it has been so long I am planning a complete deletion and reinstall of the game but wonder what are the best mods to install to both improve game play and the overhaul experience both in terms of graphics and realism.

This has all probably been asked many times before but thanks in advance for any advice.
david_simons40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-23, 05:23 PM   #2
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

4. TMO Realism and graphics quick death for swabbies https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=250635
3. TMOwTW Realism graphics and better chance of survival https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4801
1. Darkwaters German perspective Realism and great graphics https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ght=darkwaters
2. FOTRS Realism and graphics https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243064
5. Japanese Mod Vanilla graphics, Japanese subs perspective https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=137761
6. We dive at Dawn British sub perspective vanilla https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=170639

These are simply my own personal ratings and I play baby levels still after sh4 came out. A couple others I've tried such as Italian boat mod which are in the same grouping vanilla graphics. Always use separate install folders for each mod, LAA, Multish4 1.5, JSGME I always start with a fresh install of sh4 V1.5( I NEVER TOUCH AGAIN AFTER INSTALLING). Don't save in C:\programs file! then simply copy the whole game into a new folder for each mod. You must use multish4 otherwise your saves from different mods are going to go into the same saves folder and screw everything up. Have any questions on anything feel free someone here will get you squared away. Good hunting!

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 09-24-23 at 05:37 PM.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-23, 05:37 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_simons40 View Post
Calling on the valued knowledge of the hive mind.

It’s been a very long time since I have used my PC or played SH4 so I am planning on dusting off the pc and delving back in to the depths of SH4.

Since it has been so long I am planning a complete deletion and reinstall of the game but wonder what are the best mods to install to both improve game play and the overhaul experience both in terms of graphics and realism.

This has all probably been asked many times before but thanks in advance for any advice.
Wow! Over ten years of a silent run david_simons40! Aktungbby will probably come say what a landmark (watermark??) occurrence this is! lol In the meantime, besides what 1Patriotofmany says, you will want to avoid installing the game in the default "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder, and make your own folder to install it into, such as "C:\Games" or "C:\david_simons40 SH4" or whatever. If you install in the Windows protected folders, such as Program Files, you will be restricted in what you and JSGME can do to your computer. You might want to also look into the use of NTCore's 4Gig Patch or maybe even MultiSH4

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-23, 10:35 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

david_simons40!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-23, 07:28 AM   #5
david_simons40
Watch

Downloads: 89

Thanks much appreciated.
david_simons40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-23, 11:06 AM   #6
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Likewise, shipmate
Old 09-26-23, 05:56 PM   #7
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

I also recommend TMO, it is still excellent and much better than unmodded or Game Fix Only SH4.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-23, 02:52 PM   #8
Dogsbd
Seaman

Downloads: 31

I am in the "same boat" (no pun intended) as david_simons40, it's been a long time since I last played SH4.

As I am not interested in anything other than being the skipper of a US fleet boat numbers 1, 5, 6 as listed by 1Patriotofmany hold no interest.

That leaves FOTRS, TMO and TMOwTW

So if I break it down to FOTRS and TMO.... which is "best"? Or better put, what does each offer? I'm assuming (as best I can remember from last I used either) they cannot be ran together in the same install.

Also, should I pull out my disks, install and patch or does spending the $10 or so on Steam to buy SH4 there offer any advantage?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Dogsbd; 10-25-23 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Dogsbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-23, 04:23 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Dogsbd!...after a 5 year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-23, 05:24 PM   #10
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbd View Post
I am in the "same boat" (no pun intended) as david_simons40, it's been a long time since I last played SH4.

As I am not interested in anything other than being the skipper of a US fleet boat numbers 1, 5, 6 as listed by 1Patriotofmany hold no interest.

That leaves FOTRS, TMO and TMOwTW

So if I break it down to FOTRS and TMO.... which is "best"? Or better put, what does each offer? I'm assuming (as best I can remember from last I used either) they cannot be ran together in the same install.

Also, should I pull out my disks, install and patch or does spending the $10 or so on Steam to but SH4 there offer any advantage?

Thanks!!
My preference is FOTRS then TMOwTW for a lot of reasons, Especially for someone just getting back into SH4 TMO is just too deadly for me. I'd just spend the $10 myself and have, even with the disks owned.
Install it(wolves of the pacific V1.5 ). then don't touch that folder(preferably in a place other than the default C:program files(X86) steam normally goes in.
Then just copy everything from your steam folder>steamapps>common>Silenthunters wolves of the pacific folder to another folder named for the mod you want to play. Add JSGME, Large address aware, and MultiSH4 1.5 to each new folder and activate them all, then follow the instructions for the mod and install it in the new folder, make a shortcut of the SH4 application from the new folder to the desktop and rename it for the mod installed in that new folder.
Multish4 will make separate saves of each mod under whatever 3 letter combination you choose for the mod. Otherwise they all get saved under Documents>SH4 and then your game gets all messed up if playing multiple mods of the game. The most important I found is never to touch the original install unless just copying it to make for another mod folder and never install it in the default C: program files(x86) Hope this helps. I have about 7 different mods of Sh4 on my computer using the method detailed above.

One other thing, make sure when you activate Large address aware, you are pointed at the right mod folder sh4 application.

If I didn't make the instructions clear enough feel free to ask here or by PM.

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 10-06-23 at 05:38 PM.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-23, 01:44 PM   #11
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

This must be the season for us old sea dogs to return. I have played SH4 with FORS, my favorite mod. I guess I need to update the mod now to 1.8, so can I simply remove the old version with Jsgme and install the new version?
BTW- welcome back Dogsbd and david_simons40!
Old 10-21-23, 02:10 PM   #12
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironkross View Post
This must be the season for us old sea dogs to return. I have played SH4 with FORS, my favorite mod. I guess I need to update the mod now to 1.8, so can I simply remove the old version with Jsgme and install the new version?
BTW- welcome back Dogsbd and david_simons40!
exactly.

and be sure to delete the save-folder. SH4 will re-create it the first time you need it.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-23, 02:16 PM   #13
ironkross
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
exactly.

and be sure to delete the save-folder. SH4 will re-create it the first time you need it.

good luck!
Thanks,

The DL starts but will not finish.

Last edited by ironkross; 10-21-23 at 02:51 PM.
ironkross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-23, 08:25 PM   #14
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You might have to "whitelist" SubSim to get the download to go. or use a different web browser, such as FireFox or Edge. You still might have to "whitelist" SubSim though...

FotRSU v1.8 Download

Recent site updates have changed the links below that, and it might take a bit of finagling to get those also. If you continue to have issues, PM a site moderator or the admin and let them know.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-23, 09:54 PM   #15
ironkross
Lieutenant

And that worked!
You can always count on SUBSIM for help with almost anything.