SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-21, 04:10 PM   #3676
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Mazzi,

and now i understand to what you were referring.
you are seeing this:

you start your career in January 1945 at Pearl with a Tench and you see only one slot...for Air Search and no slot for Surface Search, correct?

@PB: is this expected?
No, it is not - er, rather, I suppose it is with the files the way they are - we reverted to the old set... you are using the Preview there, correct?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 11:05 PM   #3677
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
No, it is not - er, rather, I suppose it is with the files the way they are - we reverted to the old set... you are using the Preview there, correct?
Correct. Also included is the one line patch for the ST Radar in the Tench.UPC file
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU 1.46 Preview\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16
200_Preview_EnlistedFix
300_Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1
399_NoScrollNavMap

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 10:30 AM   #3678
propbeanie

Last night, I ran through a bunch of starts for the various boats available after 1st January, 1945, and they all do not show a listing for the ST nor SJ radars, but that is easy enough to fix. I do not understand how we reverted to that state, but we did. All radars are present, and do function though. The testing involves the start on the surface, radar on continuous sweep and identifying targets. Ahead One Third and submerging to Periscope Depth, watching the radar menu icons to show activity while using the external view to watch when the various parts of the submarine go under. Radar turns off automatically when expected. I then raise the Observation Periscope, which does indeed have the ST radar head, and when it breaks the surface, the radar turns on and I can see that on the radar screen, menu icons and on the NavMap. The crew again reports contacts. Lower the periscope, and it turns off again. So the ST and SJ function as expected, other than the lack of listing in the office for the devices. I have a test career set-up for a Gato boat to do an "update" from SJ-I to ST, which I will get into later this afternoon. I will then do the Balao and then try to set-up a Balao career a bit earlier and attempt to do a new command to the Tench, and see how that goes over the next few days.

Old 07-18-21, 11:43 AM   #3679
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Correct. Also included is the one line patch for the ST Radar in the Tench.UPC file
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\FOTRSU 1.46 Preview\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_Preview16
200_Preview_EnlistedFix
300_Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1
399_NoScrollNavMap
I use Nippon Maru 1.3 with FOTRSU 1.46. I don´t know if this has some influence in the gameplay or these problems.

Now patrolling the Carolinas June 1942, Gato Class, all OK with 1.46 with NM 1.3.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 12:20 PM   #3680
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Last night, I ran through a bunch of starts for the various boats available after 1st January, 1945, and they all do not show a listing for the ST nor SJ radars, but that is easy enough to fix. I do not understand how we reverted to that state, but we did. All radars are present, and do function though. The testing involves the start on the surface, radar on continuous sweep and identifying targets. Ahead One Third and submerging to Periscope Depth, watching the radar menu icons to show activity while using the external view to watch when the various parts of the submarine go under. Radar turns off automatically when expected. I then raise the Observation Periscope, which does indeed have the ST radar head, and when it breaks the surface, the radar turns on and I can see that on the radar screen, menu icons and on the NavMap. The crew again reports contacts. Lower the periscope, and it turns off again. So the ST and SJ function as expected, other than the lack of listing in the office for the devices. I have a test career set-up for a Gato boat to do an "update" from SJ-I to ST, which I will get into later this afternoon. I will then do the Balao and then try to set-up a Balao career a bit earlier and attempt to do a new command to the Tench, and see how that goes over the next few days.
i wonder why the ST works on a new start in 1945 but it will not work after an upgrade from a different boat?
strange brew.

thanks for clearing some of the fog.

LAA enabled
Old 07-18-21, 12:33 PM   #3681
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83
Default Report

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Propbeanie, I finished editing the Careerstart.upc and Flotillas.upc files last night for the Titan. I did find the differences you spoke of. So I can see where I would get the problems. My hat is of to all of you who do moddings. I just modded two files and it took a bit. Plus seeing white out after a while. I do not know how you do it, but I am glad that you do.

Now in doing the edit of the files I did find somethings you may or may not already know. Some where in my v146 file as well as the pre16. here is what I found,
In Flottilas.upc, Flotilla 2, boat 9, Narwhal. objective 12 is listed as obj 11. the start date has no dashes. ie, 19420125. should be 1942-01-25. this is the PhilippinesOPS. the next ones I was tired and forgot to write down the flotilla number. A Gato boat 5, on a south pacific objetive, has an obj of 12. This should be 13. Obj 11, of same boat has the ID incorrect. the id=BR5obj11, should be id=BR6obj11. Then in F16 HP14 GAR1 to guam test boat. The userplayerunittype is set to 11. This should be 14. Also in F19, the S42 boat, obj 5. the userplayerunittype is set to 11 should be 12. This is what I noticed. I know when I edited wrong previously, I made the game lose its mind. So these thing might make the game do strange things? Hope this helps.
I also noticed two versions of the Formosa objective. I was wonding if they are the same or not? one version has an ending date. and the objectivecode is Formosa Strait. The other has an ending date of NULL with the objectivecode of Formosa. I am just wondering if they are the ssame or different. As always thank you all for your time.

Thanks

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 01:13 PM   #3682
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
... Some where in my v146 file as well as the pre16. here is what I found,
In Flottilas.upc, Flotilla 2, boat 9, Narwhal. objective 12 is listed as obj 11. the start date has no dashes. ie, 19420125. should be 1942-01-25. this is the PhilippinesOPS. the next ones I was tired and forgot to write down the flotilla number. A Gato boat 5, on a south pacific objetive, has an obj of 12. This should be 13. Obj 11, of same boat has the ID incorrect. the id=BR5obj11, should be id=BR6obj11. Then in F16 HP14 GAR1 to guam test boat. The userplayerunittype is set to 11. This should be 14. Also in F19, the S42 boat, obj 5. the userplayerunittype is set to 11 should be 12. This is what I noticed. I know when I edited wrong previously, I made the game lose its mind. So these thing might make the game do strange things? Hope this helps.
I also noticed two versions of the Formosa objective. I was wonding if they are the same or not? one version has an ending date. and the objectivecode is Formosa Strait. The other has an ending date of NULL with the objectivecode of Formosa. I am just wondering if they are the ssame or different...
Thanks for that. We did find that the other day, and there should be the dashes in the dates, and well as other corrections. That happens when a certain modder is "snow blind" from the white space in the files and neglects to correct the dates from the PatrolObjectives files... So a mission is built, and input in the PatrolObjectives file, and its dates there copied into the Flotillas files. The modder is then supposed to add the dashes... too many times of doing that, and with drool running down the chin, things start to slip... kind of like the ST Radar currently... The "fix" is in though. As for the Formosa versus Formosa Strait, the original intent was for a SWPA and CenPac set of missions, restricted appropriately by dates, but there were some SpecOps performed there also, so the "doubling" of the calls. We do have to eliminate some of those type calls though, because the game chokes terribly if the same boat gets a SpecOp call and then the same Formosa call, when it is the same mission.

Now, I am currently attempting to test an ST upgrade, so I started at Pearl in a Balao boat (Escolar), and my assignment was a "Sink" mission off Kii Suido. Wanting to "waste" some time on the patrol, so I could try for the ST upgrade after the first, I decide to take the long way there and go via Attu and refuel up there. I cannot decide which of these two pictures I like best. The first is somewhat washed-out from the brightness of the sun, and the 2nd shows "shadow" in the wake of the boat:

But that is coming into Attu Massacre Bay. I really like the effect of the sun burning through the fog. Anyway, topped-off the tanks and headed down along the Kurile chain. While up near Parimushiro, we got the message of a heavy naval engagement in Leyte Gulf. Being the astute SH4 player that I am (hah! hardly), and having done the dating of some of CapnScurvy's contributions to the game, I knew the Kamikaze planes enter the fray mid October... but that is down around the Ryukyus, right?... no, that also happens up north... None of my early pictures of this incident turned out, probably from being too excited, but...

We were cruising on the surface at the time, attack periscope up, and I just happened to be on the bridge, when we get an "aircraft spotted, bearing 260, close range" or whatever he said. Then we immediately hear scraping and grinding, like we had run aground, and an explosion right above us, with plane bits falling about us, and then a last "BOOM!!!" to starboard. Looking right, the OOD is in the way, so I hurry and do an external cam, and missed my first picture attempt... but there is a plane down in the water and on fire. I go to the NavMap and click on the little plane icon there, and it says "JP Kamikaze". Can you believe it? My 2nd pic attempt fails trying to take a picture of that. Just a bit late, I call for "Crash Dive!!!"... so I drew a circle with the compass to show that it was 750 yards off the boat, click the plane icon again to show its class, and have (apparently) and 3rd picture failure... sigh - anyway, we did get a "periscope damaged report, so I went to the damage screen, to see if we had any flooding or bulkhead damage:

Nothing shows damaged... but I can't see out of the Attack Periscope... using the Observation Periscope, I look at the Attack Periscope, and it doesn't look to have a head on it. I turned the attack scope to 180 and no difference in the way it looks. I have never seen this:

here's the overview of where we were, and the probably "source" of the plane, though that is a bit of a way for a Zero to travel. Of course, one-way trip though:

Old 07-18-21, 02:40 PM   #3683
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Nothing shows damaged... but I can't see out of the Attack Periscope... using the Observation Periscope, I look at the Attack Periscope, and it doesn't look to have a head on it. I turned the attack scope to 180 and no difference in the way it looks. I have never seen this:

here's the overview of where we were, and the probably "source" of the plane, though that is a bit of a way for a Zero to travel. Of course, one-way trip though
pb, i am surprised at you. you are a Kaleun with thousands of missions and you "lose your head" like that. tsk, tsk.

LAA enabled
Old 07-18-21, 03:52 PM   #3684
propbeanie

Well, I'll not complain about not having anything on the damage control screen ever again... sigh - it all started with a "Radar contact, bearing four zero, long distance", but then the blip was gone, never to be seen again... Then "Aircraft spotted!"...

Wow... that's close! Where is my radar again for THIS plane? from the bridge, it looked like he was maybe 50 foot above the sea on the approach. Are they really that smart in this game? Anyway, the conn is about to disappear beneath the waves, but there he is, drops the stick, and "BOOM!!!" right dead-center on the conn and "BOOM"! right dead-center on the after deck... In this pic, I was too late for the explosion, and the smoke ball obscures the shears on the boat, but you get the idea:

Back inside, we have flooding, but not too bad. Hull damage but minimal, but my golly, all of the watch crew members are wounded:

Several of them are barely alive... you might also notice there that the AA guns are damaged... So the damage screen:

Basically took out the conn... Well, I do have a five inch deck gun, and I do have torpedoes, though I have NOTHING to aim with... and the whole purpose of this is to TEST THE RADAR and it is gone... lol - good thing I saved a few days ago after that other plane attack! lol

Old 07-19-21, 10:09 AM   #3685
propbeanie

I did finally finish the "Balao SJ-I to ST Radar Upgrade" last night, and as expected, it did indeed fail. A new boat is fine and functions fully, but lacks the display of which radar is actually onboard and active. That particular "minor" detail is really a massive clue, it turns out... This falls back to the Stock game's failed attempts at ST Radar and FM Sonar, and I am about to attempt another attempt at the update with several edits in-place... fingers crossed, touching the rabbits foot, staying away from mirrors and salt shakers (and sharp objects)...

Old 07-19-21, 12:30 PM   #3686
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Well, I'll not complain about not having anything on the damage control screen ever again... sigh - it all started with a "Radar contact, bearing four zero, long distance", but then the blip was gone, never to be seen again... Then "Aircraft spotted!"...

Wow... that's close! Where is my radar again for THIS plane? from the bridge, it looked like he was maybe 50 foot above the sea on the approach. Are they really that smart in this game? Anyway, the conn is about to disappear beneath the waves, but there he is, drops the stick, and "BOOM!!!" right dead-center on the conn and "BOOM"! right dead-center on the after deck... In this pic, I was too late for the explosion, and the smoke ball obscures the shears on the boat, but you get the idea:

Back inside, we have flooding, but not too bad. Hull damage but minimal, but my golly, all of the watch crew members are wounded:

Several of them are barely alive... you might also notice there that the AA guns are damaged... So the damage screen:

Basically took out the conn... Well, I do have a five inch deck gun, and I do have torpedoes, though I have NOTHING to aim with... and the whole purpose of this is to TEST THE RADAR and it is gone... lol - good thing I saved a few days ago after that other plane attack! lol

lol it happens. Now, we know in reality direct hit like that would have sunk your boat. I like there is failure by SD and lookouts because in reality SD was not always reliable and lookouts did occasionally miss planes until were close.

I had a similar experience recently but with my "friendly fire" units I added to TMO Stopped to refuel and after departing, SD failed to detect a PBY outside Johnston Island until was at 5.5 NM and lookouts did not spot him before (I do want to adjust the visual range for lookouts, if I can see things, they should be able to as well) , noticed he was making a run so ordered a dive. As passed 80 feet, two depth charges..one on each side of the sub exploded.

Sent hull damage to 70...destroyed trim pump...hydraulic pumps..compressors..forward batteries heavily damaged...pretty much everything in control room and conning tower was in shambles.

With trim pump knocked out...could not maintain a proper depth boat bounced a bit. Surfaced and headed back to Pearl lol.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 03:41 PM   #3687
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Sent hull damage to 70...destroyed trim pump...hydraulic pumps..compressors..forward batteries heavily damaged...pretty much everything in control room and conning tower was in shambles.

With trim pump knocked out...could not maintain a proper depth boat bounced a bit. Surfaced and headed back to Pearl lol.
question: when you went back to Pearl and performed a replenish, did the program fix all of the equipment? or did you have to end the patrol to get it fixed?

LAA enabled
Old 07-19-21, 05:52 PM   #3688
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
question: when you went back to Pearl and performed a replenish, did the program fix all of the equipment? or did you have to end the patrol to get it fixed?

KM...

I'm gonna go out on limb here, & say that Bubblehead, likely docked in at Pearl. As the procedure as I know of it, to fix major damages & Bubblehead in that instance, definitely ended up with serious damages. (case in point, hull down to 70)

Not to mention all the other damages that were incurred.

M. M.

Old 07-19-21, 07:24 PM   #3689
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:

You need to end patrol for repairs. If you can´t end patrol, only you can obtain fuel and torpedoes/ammunition.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 10:11 PM   #3690
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I have found that most ports can re-arm your boat. Then most of the equipment can be repaired. The hull damage requires dry dock. So only your home port can repair. I find this to be true on both sides of the playing field. I have noticed that I can get a severally damaged uboat back to port, but the same damaged American sub, I can 9 outta 10 times not even get it back to the surface. This supports the old saying. Run silent, run deep. you will survive. just my thoughts

Thanks

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote