SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-17, 01:18 PM   #1
Rosco74
Torpedoman

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 0
Default WoS : Deck Awash problems

Hello,
I used to play a lot the Wolves of Steel mod, everything is perfect except the deck’ awash condition. Maybe someone found a solution and I just post this concern on the forum to find a solution.

When at deck awash depth, even if the kiosk is of course above the sea level, the game consider the submarine as below the water line.... so he is a list of annoyances that alter my game experience :

- you cannot use the binoculars at all
- you cannot ask your kiosk crew about any visual contact, as the icon are greyed like if you were underwater.
- you cannot request a celestial fix, as before the guy consider the sub underwater.
- you cannot request the weather outside, same as above.

The binocular is the main problem, as I love to use them because of their better zoom level.
If anyone have a solution around thank you very much
Rosco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 03:58 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Rosco
Quote:
When at deck awash depth, even if the kiosk is of course above the sea level, the game consider the submarine as below the water line.... so he is a list of annoyances that alter my game experience :
Use TDW's Options File Editor Viewer and go to the Patches Tab and set your depth to how you want to play your game.

Quote:
- you cannot use the binoculars at all
- you cannot ask your kiosk crew about any visual contact, as the icon are greyed like if you were underwater.
- you cannot request a celestial fix, as before the guy consider the sub underwater.
- you cannot request the weather outside, same as above.
The binocular is the main problem, as I love to use them because of their better zoom level.
This has been done purposely to stop you over using the Decks Awash option.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 08:14 PM   #3
Rosco74
Torpedoman

Downloads: 45

Ok thanks for the info, I leave it like that then, the basic setting 7.2 meters depth sounds good, this was just strange I couldn't use the binoculars.
Rosco74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 03:07 AM   #4
Bernardi
Watch

Downloads: 7
radar

Sorry for reviving this.

I believe this is the option THEBERBSTER is referring but unfortunately that actually only changes the depth in which the u-boat dives when you press the deck awash button.

imagem_2023-04-19_050430827.jpg

while i look for it myself if anyone can shed a light on what the correct option is i would really appreciate it.

Just to make it clear what im looking for is the option that changes the depth that the game considers the u-boat to be under water so i can increase it. That way when using the deck awash command or even in rough seas i don't keep losing the binoculars and other things.
Bernardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-23, 08:32 AM   #5
Dönitz78
Bosun

Downloads: 327

It would be great to fix that! I'm also looking to create a hotkey to request submerged bridge so I can remove the in-game depth bar for more immersion. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Dönitz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 12:14 PM   #6
OLZS
Mate

Downloads: 55

I think it can be fixed. Today I will test on all boats and let you know.
OLZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 03:37 PM   #7
OLZS
Mate

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6452
Old 03-02-24, 06:45 PM   #8
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Good evening everyone, the “flood bridge” technique...
It seems to me that this technique can be used to reduce the silhouette of the Uboat... it can also facilitate a rapid dive.. it can also increase the autonomy of the action radius... I think that is the first idea.. our sailor friends on deck have difficulty seeing, except of course in really calm seas 0 m/s see 2 to 3m/s..but maybe someone more seasoned like John Pancoast.. derstosstrupp.. sheds more light on the subject I'm going to investigate myself...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 06:53 PM   #9
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

un premier article ici de notre amie bstanko6 chapter 13

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ghlight=convoy

Particularly interesting

https://www.uboatarchive.net/Manual/Manual.htm

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 03-02-24 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-02-24, 08:26 PM   #10
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Now I don't see where the problem is...here I am in the "flood deck" position my crew is on deck without problem my instruments work...all work...the weather plays a crucial factor in my opinion...As I imagined above...... According to my initial research, the technique was used for nocturnal attacks.
even during the day...in bad weather to stabilize the boat..this technique is used to hide the boat from what I understood the engineering had to be top notch because there were risks..besides it is not easy to find things about internet... but let's wait for feedback from other Subsimmers..
In Action.. Screens..

I'm even going to try to gain a few centimeters..
Old 03-02-24, 10:40 PM   #11
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

But we go down to 6m.20... I went down to 7m.40 but I actually lose the binoculars... that doesn't bother me.!! Uzo works for the attack... the binoculars are secondary... they are more used for observations from very far away... Maybe Vecko knows the problem... and can tell us more...
Old 03-02-24, 11:56 PM   #12
OLZS
Mate

Thanks for your answers!
Old 03-03-24, 12:29 PM   #13
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Default Deck wash fix ...totally useless ..

To modify your appointment in your general TWoS - OptionsFileEditorViewer

then save and it's good there is no need to fix it..it's illusory..
Old 03-04-24, 07:11 PM   #14
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

This is almost entirely a game functionality. Decks awash is extremely dangerous in real life, the center of gravity shifts, and the boat can easily capsize due to waves. When diving and surfacing, this point is crossed quickly, but to travel this way is dangerous, and was forbidden by the diving regulations. There were exceptions, U-995 flooded down to the point where her decks were awash to enter a Norwegian fjord. And there are a few other instances I have seen, so it’s a matter of weighing the relative risks. There is also the issue of the boat undercutting in this situation, without warning, especially at night, without ample time for the bridge watch to notice. So the risks are many. And in most situations, it was moot - the profile of a surfaced submarine was incredibly difficult to spot at night anyway in a normal swim condition A or B situation.

The game gives you none of the associated risks. I don’t use it, except for simulating exhaust blowing when surfacing. I will go decks awash, come topside, check the horizon to make sure all clear, and only then order a full surface, to simulate the standard surfacing procedure of blowing only a little high-pressure air into the ballast tanks, and then emptying them using diesel exhaust.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-24, 06:16 AM   #15
OLZS
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
This is almost entirely a game functionality. Decks awash is extremely dangerous in real life, the center of gravity shifts, and the boat can easily capsize due to waves. When diving and surfacing, this point is crossed quickly, but to travel this way is dangerous, and was forbidden by the diving regulations. There were exceptions, U-995 flooded down to the point where her decks were awash to enter a Norwegian fjord. And there are a few other instances I have seen, so it’s a matter of weighing the relative risks. There is also the issue of the boat undercutting in this situation, without warning, especially at night, without ample time for the bridge watch to notice. So the risks are many. And in most situations, it was moot - the profile of a surfaced submarine was incredibly difficult to spot at night anyway in a normal swim condition A or B situation.

The game gives you none of the associated risks. I don’t use it, except for simulating exhaust blowing when surfacing. I will go decks awash, come topside, check the horizon to make sure all clear, and only then order a full surface, to simulate the standard surfacing procedure of blowing only a little high-pressure air into the ballast tanks, and then emptying them using diesel exhaust.