Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-12, 02:55 PM   #1
pcohen
Shore leave

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Still looking for help Please

Wonder if you can help with this please

I have Silent Hunter Commanders Edition V1.31 whch is the upgrade from the Original which I lost. I have run this Program before with no problems.

Have used Don Wells Tutorial to Install it ( which worked Perfectly last time ) and everything is starting up as it Should with Music and sound effects etc, but alas, no picture.

Have tried using Dos Box Before but to complicated for me.

Any help or suggestions Please

Many thanks

Regards

paul
pcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 03:45 PM   #2
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I have this installed and running fine in DOS Box without requiring the original CDROM in the computer. Could never get SHCE to run in Windows and since you can't get a handle on DOS Box I have no other options for you. Sorry.
Old 01-12-12, 04:00 PM   #3
pcohen
Shore leave

Default DosBox Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
I have this installed and running fine in DOS Box without requiring the original CDROM in the computer. Could never get SHCE to run in Windows and since you can't get a handle on DOS Box I have no other options for you. Sorry.
Hi, thanks for quick reply.

A decent Tutorial for DosBox would be a great Help.

Thanks

Paul
Old 01-12-12, 04:01 PM   #4
CTarana
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Paul, have you looked at DFend Reloaded? It's a Windows Front End for DOS box (comes with a copy pre-installed) and I use it for all my sub simulations, including SHCE! It's very easy to install and setup, and it will walk you through setting up the simulations on the Virtual HD.
There is a post on this forum by me regarding which subsims I have running now, the total is around 16 or 17.

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 04:03 PM   #5
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
Hi, thanks for quick reply.

A decent Tutorial for DosBox would be a great help

Thanks

Paul
Old 01-12-12, 04:08 PM   #6
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTarana View Post
Paul, have you looked at DFend Reloaded? It's a Windows Front End for DOS box (comes with a copy pre-installed) and I use it for all my sub simulations, including SHCE! It's very easy to install and setup, and it will walk you through setting up the simulations on the Virtual HD.
There is a post on this forum by me regarding which subsims I have running now, the total is around 16 or 17.

ChristopherT
Hi Christopher, thanks for reply.

Would you Have a Link or Point me in the right direction Please, new to this site, stll trying to find my way around.

Thanks

Paul
Old 01-12-12, 04:16 PM   #7
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I found that I could not get SHCE to run with D-Fend since it needs the CD in the computer and I cannot figure out how to set up D-Fend so that it is not required. If you have a download version this is not necessary and D-Fend is easier to use than DOS Box.

However, if you do need the CD to run SHCE, the DOS Box set up to bypass this requirement is very simple.
Old 01-12-12, 04:39 PM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Tutorials - http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Set...tion_of_DosBox

http://www.classicdosgames.com/tutorials/dosbox.html

I don't use it so I can't vouch for their quality. Happy reading
Old 01-12-12, 09:25 PM   #9
CTarana
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Quote:
I found that I could not get SHCE to run with D-Fend since it needs the CD in the computer and I cannot figure out how to set up D-Fend so that it is not required. If you have a download version this is not necessary and D-Fend is easier to use than DOS Box.

However, if you do need the CD to run SHCE, the DOS Box set up to bypass this requirement is very simple.
I put SH1 on C:\Silent then when I set up D-Fend I pointed it to the actual folder on the actual HD. D-Fend gave me a warning about the dangers of mounting the actual HD volume then did it anyway.

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-12, 09:44 PM   #10
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTarana View Post
I put SH1 on C:\Silent then when I set up D-Fend I pointed it to the actual folder on the actual HD. D-Fend gave me a warning about the dangers of mounting the actual HD volume then did it anyway.

ChristopherT
Hello again, still going round in circles, cannot get round system Requirements Page when installing Item 2 (XMS) should say YES but says NO. Will try your last suggestion if I ever Install this Program.

Having a bit of a problem with the DOS install sequence, never was very good with Computers.

Thanks

Paul.

Last edited by pcohen; 01-13-12 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-13-12, 02:23 PM   #11
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cohen View Post
Hello again, still going round in circles, cannot get round system Requirements Page when installing Item 2 (XMS) should say YES but says NO. Will try your last suggestion if I ever Install this Program.

Having a bit of a problem with the DOS install sequence, never was very good with Computers.

Thanks

Paul.
Hi Everybody.

Think i've managed to work out the DOS Box Setup.

Now having a Problem with XMS Manager, where to download from.

I'm so close, yet so Far, from getting this SHCE to run.

Still loads of help needed Please.

Many thanks

Paul
Old 01-13-12, 03:07 PM   #12
pcohen
Shore leave

Quote:

Many thanks

Paul
Old 01-13-12, 05:06 PM   #13
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cohen View Post

Many thanks

Paul
Am not quite sure how to assist since my DOS Box setup does not require an XMS manager and yet runs SHCE (plus AOD, the Great Naval Battles series and a number of others) flawlessly without it.

Question? Have you successfully installed SHCE onto your C:\ drive?

Question? Is your SHCE v1.31 downloaded or installed from the original CDROM?

Question? Is SHCE the only DOS application that you are trying to run at this time?

If SHCE is properly installed, you should be able to set everything up from the DOS Box itself using the applications that shipped with the original game; SETSOUND.exe and UVCONFIG.exe.

Should there be fatal incompatibilities with your video card and setup I cannot help you there. Sorry.
Old 01-13-12, 05:47 PM   #14
pcohen
Shore leave

[QUOTE=Randomizer;1820805]Am not quite sure how to assist since my DOS Box setup does not require an XMS manager and yet runs SHCE (plus AOD, the Great Naval Battles series and a number of others) flawlessly without it.

Question? Have you successfully installed SHCE onto your C:\ drive?

Question? Is your SHCE v1.31 downloaded or installed from the original CDROM?

Question? Is SHCE the only DOS application that you are trying to run at this time?

If SHCE is properly installed, you should be able to set everything up from the DOS Box itself using the applications that shipped with the original game; SETSOUND.exe and UVCONFIG.exe.

Hi, Thanks for help and reply.

SHCE is in C:\Program Files

SHCE is installed from original CD Rom

Only DOS program that i'm using

Am using DosBox Version 0.74 but am told D-Fend Reloaded is a better Option. Have tried both without success yet.

Many thanks

Paul
Old 01-13-12, 06:34 PM   #15
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here's how I got mine running in DOS Box .74

Originally DOS has trouble with names greater than 7-characters, to avoid this create a folder in your C:\ drive giving it a short name. I use c:\oldgms and will use it throughout this posting as an example. The name is irrelevant but less than 7 characters is recommended. Note that this folder is not in your Program Files folder but directly in your C:\ drive.

Move your SILENT folder into this folder.

Create a folder named D in your C:\oldgms\SILENT folder. Copy the entire game disk into this folder using drag and drop or select all + copy-paste.

Open DOS Box.

Type:
mount c c:\oldgms\silent

<DOS Box should tell you that c:\ drive is now located in the C:\oldgms\silent folder>

Type:
mount d c:\oldgms\silent\d -t cdrom

<This points the game to the D folder and fools it into thinking that the CDROM is present. Note the space between the d, the -t switch and the cdrom text in the command line. DOS Box should now tell you that the CD ROM has been mounted in the D folder>

Type:
c:

<Changes DOS Box directory from Z:\ to C:\>

Type dir/w/p

<Just a double check to make sure everything is where it should be. The -w switch causes the file and folder names to show in the wide format. The -p switch pauses DOS when the screen is full. Pressing any key continues to the end where the DOS prompt will reappear. This step can be omitted if you think you nailed everything above.>

At the C:\ DOS prompt type SOUND and follow the prompts to set up your sound files. DOS Box emulates SoundBlaster on my machine but I had to enter the IRQ etc. manually. When you first open DOS Box the required values should be listed above the Z:\ prompt.

You should be ready to play, using either SILENT (the DOS Batch executable) or SH, the game executable or SE, the Editor executable.

Hope this helps, good luck.