Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-11, 11:05 AM   #1
festus
Seaman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Silent Hunter I - A Few More Quick Questions

Howdy All!

I just got a new, old computer with Windows XP Pro and finally got Silent Hunter running using the latest version of DosBox! Yeeeee Haaaaaaa!! I think SH was/is the best computer simulation I ever played and I am overjoyed that I can again ply the Pacific searching for Japaneese shipping. I have the original CD w/ manual and two Patrol disks. I did do the patches I could find and got it to Ver. 3.1 and most of my original problems have disappeared. I also perused the "download" section here and have a few of those to try but I have a few questions, hoping someone in here might be able to help.

A.) In the download section there are files for new merchant shipping tonages, new sounds and new gauges I'd like to try. However, the files have a ****.7z extension. What the heck is a .7z extension and how do I apply these downloads? I use PKZip for zipping but it won't open these. Any help?

B.) Is Ver. 3.1 the most up to date? If not, where may I find the latest Version patch?

C.) I have looked for Patroll Disk 3 but with no luck. Is this still available for purchase or dowload?

D.) I looked at the User CP and could not find the place to post an Avitar. I have a classic pic of Festus Hagen I use. Can anyone direct me to where this can be done?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Festus

Last edited by festus; 12-05-11 at 05:14 PM.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 11:50 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

1) .7z is a different kind of zip compression method. Go to www.7-zip.org and download the extractor program. Just like WinZip or WinRar.

2+3) Sorry, can't remember I'm too much out of the loop.

4) Iirc the custom avatar was by request to Neal or a admin/moderator only. Unless you somehow made yourself famous on the forum and then you get what you deserve.
Old 11-19-11, 03:27 PM   #3
CTarana
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
Howdy All!

I just got a new, old computer with Windows XP Pro and finally got Silent Hunter running using the latest version of DosBox! Yeeeee Haaaaaaa!! I think SH was/is the best computer simulation I ever played and I am overjoyed that I can again ply the Pacific searching for Japaneese shipping. I have the original CD w/ manual and two Patrol disks. I did do the patches I could find and got it to Ver. 3.1 and most of my original problems have disappeared. I also perused the "download" section here and have a few of those to try but I have a few questions, hoping someone in here might be able to help.

A.) In the download section there are files for new merchant shipping tonages, new sounds and new gauges I'd like to try. However, the files have a ****.7z extension. What the heck is a .7z extension and how do I apply these downloads? I use PKZip for zipping but it won't open these. Any help?

B.) Is Ver. 3.1 the most up to date? If not, where may I find the latest Version patch?

C.) I have looked for Patroll Disk 3 but with no luck. Is this still available for purchase or dowload?

D.) I looked at the User CP and could not find the place to post an Avitar. I have a classic pic of Festus Hagen I use. Can anyone direct me to where this can be done?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Festus
B - 1.3.1 is the newest version of SH1 by patches. Unless you find a copy of Silent Hunter Commander's Edition (SHCE) on Ebay which has all the last patches and patrol areas.

C - I don't think any of the patrol disks are still available to buy. Unless you find a new/used copy of SHCE. You could try the store here on Subsim.com to see what's still there!

D - The old Forum used to allow this, but to be frank I haven't tried it on this one.

PM me for any assistance! I have Gigabytes of stuff for SH1, SHCE, SH2 and other sub sims! I even have a starter pack for SH1, but it's 666 kb's!

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 02:07 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

The patrol disk upgrades from SH 1.0 to SH 1.3 then to SH 1.31 are available in the downloads area here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=42

Be sure you do the 1.3 patch first, then re-boot just to be safe and do the 1.31 patch next. You should be good to go. I recommend a re-boot after applying the 1.31 patch before trying to start SH 1.31

I think to get a personal avatar you just need to make a nice donation to Subsim. Click the "Make a Donation" button on top of the page.

Even without the avatar it is for a good cause. It would be terrible to lose subsim. Sometimes we take websites for granted until they suddenly disappear. Recently I have seen some good ones go.

Happy Hunting!

Art
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 02:09 PM   #5
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

@ Festus! Welcome to SubSim,

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 04:09 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome festus

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 08:14 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
Custom avatars are only available by donation.
http://www.subsim.com/sh2fleet_forms/donation.htm

I think the $5 one does the trick. Then send Neal Stevens an email at subsim@subsim.com and he will give you the information, request your picture and put it up for you.
Old 12-05-11, 04:57 PM   #8
festus
Seaman

Thanks! And a few more questions...

Howdy Gents!

Thanks for the Howdys and tips. Got the .7z extension worked out and up to Ver. 1.31. Game is running well. I loaded the new gauges and new sounds. The new gauges aren't very different but I do like the new sounds. The harbor band is nice and I like the dit's and da's when a radio message is recieved.

I did try to install the "newmaru" download but couldn't get it to work. The games loads as normal but whenever I start a War Patrol there's a problem. After the world data, etc. loads I get to the Control Room scene and it is just a black screen with engine sound. The only way out is to alt/enter DosBox and close the window. Did I do something wrong?

Also tried the SHReal download and get nothing. I get a screen that has the five option boxes but there is no text, just the graphics. Any ideas? I'm not comfortable with the 7-zip program and maybe I did something wrong, I'm a PKZip kinda' guy.

Rob/festus
Old 12-05-11, 05:47 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Download 7-zip from:

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-11, 11:10 PM   #10
CTarana
Bosun

Downloads: 28

If you have a copy of WinRar that will open the .7z files too. I'm not running the mods you are in SH1, but if you downloaded the files from here I'm assuming they would be in good shape. Other websites might not be so fussy in the QC department. Try reinstalling SH1 and then using only one mod or the other and see which one works fine.

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 04:03 PM   #11
festus
Seaman

Default Newmaru and SHReal modules

Howdy!

I tried everything I could think of and still no joy. I cannot get the "newmaru" and SHReal modules to work. Newmaru give me a black screen whenever I go on a war patrol and for the SHReal module I get a screen with graphics but no text on the buttons or check boxes. I am using WindowsXP Pro on an older computer. I tried both in the newest version of DosBox and the Windows Dos Prompt.

Anyone out there who may help? Is this Hawk gentleman still about who created these add-ons?

Rob
Old 12-17-11, 04:28 PM   #12
aanker
Pacific Thunder

They should install on an XP system because I had them running on XP. Hawk hasn't been around for ages.

Quote:
INSTALLING THIS PROGRAM

After you have downloaded SHRSETUP.EXE you must run it to extract all of the files to the proper folders.

Win95 & Win98 users -- Select Run from the Start menu.
Win3.x users -- Select Run from Program Manager's File menu.
Now type in the path to SHRSETUP or click the Browse button to locate the downloaded file.
Then click the OK button.

Make sure the "Unzip to Folder" field contains the correct path to your Silent Hunter folder and press the Unzip button. You're done with the installation !
Same thing with NEWMARU. You need to tell them where your game is installed like, C:\GAMES\SILENT\ if that is where yours is. By default it may be trying to install to C:\SILENT\ and you need to change that by editing in the exact location where your install is located.

Happy Hunting! (eventually)

Art

Last edited by aanker; 01-14-12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 06:58 PM   #13
pcohen
Shore leave

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTarana View Post
B - 1.3.1 is the newest version of SH1 by patches. Unless you find a copy of Silent Hunter Commander's Edition (SHCE) on Ebay which has all the last patches and patrol areas.

C - I don't think any of the patrol disks are still available to buy. Unless you find a new/used copy of SHCE. You could try the store here on Subsim.com to see what's still there!

D - The old Forum used to allow this, but to be frank I haven't tried it on this one.

PM me for any assistance! I have Gigabytes of stuff for SH1, SHCE, SH2 and other sub sims! I even have a starter pack for SH1, but it's 666 kb's!

ChristopherT
Wonder if you can help with this please

I have Silent Hunter Commanders Edition V1.31 whch is the upgrade from the Original which I lost. I have run this Program before with no problems.

Have used Don Wells Tutorial to Install it ( which worked Perfectly last time ) and everything is starting up as it Should with Music and sound effects etc, but alas, no picture.

Have tried using Dos Box Before but to complicated for me.

Any help or suggestions Please

Many thanks

Regards

paul
pcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 12:17 PM   #14
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Most people screw up with the nine tabs. Be sure everything is precisely followed in the steps. If XP:
http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_xp/silent_hunterxp.shtml

Subsowespac has another page for Vista - probably Win7 too using DOSBox but for the thousandth time, use the Don Wells procedure on XP - and exactly as described, and it will work.

Happy Hunting!

Art

Edit, (again) oop's wrong message ...... Be sure to create that C:\UTILS folder and install Hawks utilities from there too.

Last edited by aanker; 01-14-12 at 12:32 PM.