SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-11-22, 03:34 AM   #3856
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

^ I don't know whether we even use those in England - must be bad very often to need one of those
Old 12-11-22, 03:53 AM   #3857
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

IT is!!! I shovelled that damn 90' driveway every winter for 12 years growing up in Minnesota...by hand; sometimes twice a day; 2-3 feet of snow incl the path to the rear door milkbox for the milkman! At age 18, we finally got a snowblower which I briefly used just prior to escaping to college leaving my brothers to do the task. it was a godsend! Mowing, raking, and fertilizing the lawns were part of the gig as well. A useful skill I adapted to the 1 summer's golf-course crew job at the club I'd caddied at for three previous summers in high-school . 50+ years later, I keep up my own yards and gardens w/o using a gardiner like a lot of the neighbors.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-11-22 at 04:03 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-22, 04:07 AM   #3858
Schizo
Seaman

Downloads: 1

my driveway is not quite that big lol. mines like 30'. i would buy a snowblower if i had somewhere to put it. i dont have a garage and my lawnshed is already full with a leafblower, mower, shovels, etc.

MN gets a lot of snow. i totally get where youre coming from. i live in NYS and we get a fair bit of snow as well.
Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-22, 04:26 AM   #3859
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

cool Why i live in California!

One time I got the break of a lifetime. Mom sent me out into the frigid wasteland to do the loathsome grueling job and it was brutally deep & cold. The idea was always to clear it before a vehicle(dad's car) rolled over it compacking the snow down which required arduous scraping as the winter progressed and ice built up. I had shoveled perhaps 10 feet when the city bulldozer doing the street took pity on small 13 year old me and my pathetic arduous effort, pulled into the driveway, put the massive fullwidth blade down, and backed into the street completely clearing the driveway in 2 minutes!! With some minor shovel touchup work, I pranced into the house as my taskmaster mom shrieked: "what are you doin in here! get out there and finish it!" "It's all done Mom" said, I as I started watching the Lone Ranger on TV...I never told what had ocurred; and that bulldozer never ever came back again!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-11-22 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-11-22, 10:12 AM   #3860
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^
Old 12-14-22, 03:48 PM   #3861
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Two new toys 4 Christmas

This AM I'm clambering up the 'learning curve, of a new Google Pixel 6a cellphone I just got this week to replace my beloved 20 year old Verizon flipphone which unfortunately was an archaic 3G and all stuff has got 2 B 5G by the end of the this month so I'm down 'bout $700 bucks(free new tablet incl.) for all goods and a car-charger cord. Additionally my standby batteries were installed yesterday for the solar system; in one day instead of the scheduled 2; and I'm just now using the AMGEN app on said new phone to monitor my day old $48K system (less $12K Tax rebate) Said app informs me at glance: my 13 panels R producing 2.7 kw; the house is using 0.4 Kw; my new batteries R charging at 1.0 Kw ------now at 82%; & I'm contributing 1 Kw to PGE's criminal network! The new electric boxes and exterior wire conduit pipe, battery panel, and switchboxes on the interior and exterior walls of the garage are comparable to the electric room of a type VII uboat!!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-14-22 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-14-22, 03:59 PM   #3862
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
[...] The new electric boxes and exterior wire conduit pipe, battery panel, and switchboxes on the interior and exterior walls of the garage are comparable to the electric room of a type VII uboat!!
Just look out for Johann "das Gespenst"

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 04:50 PM   #3863
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Just look out for Johann "das Gespenst"

I'm giving all I can, Capitan. Stop bothering me.

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 05:17 PM   #3864
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Update: now I'm generating 1.7 Kw from solar panels; importing .7 Kw. from PGE for 2.0 Kw household usage; and shipping .3 Kw to the batts, now 97% charged ..."Akchtung! Prepare to dive!"

Old 12-15-22, 07:19 PM   #3865
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Update: now I'm generating 1.7 Kw from solar panels; importing .7 Kw. from PGE for 2.0 Kw household usage; and shipping .3 Kw to the batts, now 97% charged ..."Akchtung! Prepare to dive!"

Don't be a marv. Be careful working with all that electrical power. Electricity can be very dangerous. Take it from Marv.

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 02:08 AM   #3866
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Someday Aktungbby and Mr Quatro might go missing

Who would check on us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Me of course.

Came across these two posts while backtracking this thred for another old post... HOW prophetic was Mr Quatro!!?? My occasional PM's to him remain unresponded to... but I'm "still checking on him." @ Commander Wallace: never mind marv! I did something similar when I touched the rubber cap of the Catalina's 9-hp outboard sparkplug while it was was running-thinking it sufficient insulation-and ended up 3' feet from the electrocution; but still on the dock. My pacemaker was not happy with the voltaic assistance it received either! In looking at my own photos: that's alotta red warning labels-and the standby-battery box partially in the exterior photo's lower right (cropped to fit the 1200x1200 format) is a massive 4'x5'x8")!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 12-17-22 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-17-22, 02:23 AM   #3867
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I just decided to switch research projects. I haven't been into the current research project that much anyway (I basically lost faith in it nabout a year ago and I'm convinced that it will never lead to anything profitable). The new research project is much further behind, but shows a lot of promise.

More importantly though: my salary will be almost 20% less than before, but I expect my workload to be reduced by about a third, if not more, so in total that's a win.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 06:29 AM   #3868
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Yes, I always say time off from work is worth more than money
Old 12-17-22, 01:05 PM   #3869
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

This AM my array is producing 1.9 Kw; I'm buying 3.7 Kw from PG&E crooks; using 9.4 Kw(electric furnace takes alot in 34⁰F temps); and my battery is discharging 3.8 Kw at 80% charged capacity... Ahkenaton (Tut's dad)! who destroyed Egypt's multi-God culture to install worship of the Aton, was right! The Aton (the sun) is the one true god! Or so I and my wallet believe?! but then perhaps ignorance was bli$$ for 71 years?

Old 12-25-22, 03:23 PM   #3870
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Why do photos of me always show a miserable old jerk? I finally got one today that doesn't (lol) - maybe coz I'm full of the joys of Christmas

I'll go with this one with the xmas jumper - maybe makes me look more human

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 12-26-22 at 05:54 AM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote