Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-19, 05:13 PM   #16
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Only thing I would change with AOD if I could is to be able to start in a VII at the French bases 1940 instead of having to start with a type II all the time.

I have no interest in Type II's (nor deck or flak guns). I know via the info. on this site, AOD can be hex edited to allow this, but I don't have those skills.

You can do that by editing your savegame. I have made a description here, post #2:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=240392

You don't need to read everything, go to point 2) of my HexEdit section and also open the link there, it's a value to change in your save file if you want to start with a specific sub, but you must save in the bunker first before editing the save.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-19, 05:29 PM   #17
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
You can do that by editing your savegame. I have made a description here, post #2:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=240392

You don't need to read everything, go to point 2) of my HexEdit section and also open the link there, it's a value to change in your save file if you want to start with a specific sub, but you must save in the bunker first before editing the save.
That's all (hex numbers, etc.) Greek to me. I downloaded a hex editor awhile back and opened the AOD files, and all the numbers and columns did nothing but confuse me.

But I'll try it again, thanks ! Looks very easy if I can figure it out.
Old 10-20-19, 08:20 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

XenonSurf, do you have any recommendations for a free hex editor for someone who doesn't know anything about hex editing ?

I did a google, but figure I'd ask you first.

Like to try your tips on AOD.
Old 10-21-19, 05:40 AM   #19
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
XenonSurf, do you have any recommendations for a free hex editor for someone who doesn't know anything about hex editing ?

I did a google, but figure I'd ask you first.

Like to try your tips on AOD.
I'd say Hxd is a very good if not the best free Hex Editor out there.

You have a very cool add byte feature,an auto save and many more features

here is the download link

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Thanks to it's easy add byte feature I was able to make the SH plane mod and am now working on the realistic ships mod and more subs (gar, salmon, sargo...) mod for Silent Hunter 1.

BTW: SH is quite strange, you can't get the extra subs in the single mission roaster but you can in the mission editor...
Old 10-21-19, 07:45 AM   #20
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
I'd say Hxd is a very good if not the best free Hex Editor out there.

You have a very cool add byte feature,an auto save and many more features

here is the download link

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Thanks to it's easy add byte feature I was able to make the SH plane mod and am now working on the realistic ships mod and more subs (gar, salmon, sargo...) mod for Silent Hunter 1.

BTW: SH is quite strange, you can't get the extra subs in the single mission roaster but you can in the mission editor...

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 10-21-19, 11:29 AM   #21
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Ok, I'm lost. What do I have to do to get a VIIB at a French Port in 1940 ?

XenonSurf, I'm confused as to what you mean by saving "outside". Do you mean DO start a career, but DON'T start a patrol; save "outside" the game at the main menu ?

Also, do I load the simin or simout.dat file, or the saved file ? This photo is the simin.dat.

Old 12-18-21, 02:54 AM   #22
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sorry John,

As I went through older threads, I started from pg. 32 and worked forward. Didn't get here until now.

I am working HEX Edit questions and findings here: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=240392

As some have noted, you can edit the homeport code and change homeports, but it really only changes the Captains Log. If you're in Kiel (4B=02) and change it to St. Nazaire (4B=06), the log changes but you and the sub are still at Kiel until you physically go there.

I am currently trying to work on this, to see if I change the homeport code after entering/returning port (save the game file), make the change and then save the game/patrol. This is prior to starting the next patrol where the (.sav file 00) changes.

I read another post with the same question I've always had: If BDU transfers you to a new boat (after acceptance) and orders you to "transfer immediately" and that transfer takes you to a new base, how do you get there immediately? Fly, train, drive; you can't wait two weeks while your boat gets repaired/replenished. Sometimes, it's easy; "report after your next patrol".

However, with the variation in gameplay; one time you get offered a new boat, the next time you play it to get the game file to experiment on and you don't offered the change in command.

Looking at the way this game is set up, I am beginning to think you will not be able to change "physically" from one port to another without having the boat there to begin with. I'll keep checking though, who knows.
Old 12-18-21, 07:55 AM   #23
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503
Uploads: 0

Thank you for looking at this game for us!

My biggest complaint is the engine sound cutting off at random times-is this correctable, or that is that the way it is? I play CAoD not AoD, but the sound files should be the same I imagine.
Old 12-18-21, 09:26 AM   #24
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RConch View Post

My biggest complaint is the engine sound cutting off at random times-is this correctable, or that is that the way it is? I play CAoD not AoD, but the sound files should be the same I imagine.

That sound bug (among others) is only in CAOD. It does not exist in AOD.
Old 12-18-21, 09:32 AM   #25
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Otto View Post
Sorry John,

As I went through older threads, I started from pg. 32 and worked forward. Didn't get here until now.

I am working HEX Edit questions and findings here: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=240392

As some have noted, you can edit the homeport code and change homeports, but it really only changes the Captains Log. If you're in Kiel (4B=02) and change it to St. Nazaire (4B=06), the log changes but you and the sub are still at Kiel until you physically go there.

I am currently trying to work on this, to see if I change the homeport code after entering/returning port (save the game file), make the change and then save the game/patrol. This is prior to starting the next patrol where the (.sav file 00) changes.

I read another post with the same question I've always had: If BDU transfers you to a new boat (after acceptance) and orders you to "transfer immediately" and that transfer takes you to a new base, how do you get there immediately? Fly, train, drive; you can't wait two weeks while your boat gets repaired/replenished. Sometimes, it's easy; "report after your next patrol".

However, with the variation in gameplay; one time you get offered a new boat, the next time you play it to get the game file to experiment on and you don't offered the change in command.

Looking at the way this game is set up, I am beginning to think you will not be able to change "physically" from one port to another without having the boat there to begin with. I'll keep checking though, who knows.

Thanks. I actually figured out how to do the above a short time after this post, but yes, still only after next patrol, etc.
Old 12-18-21, 02:11 PM   #26
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Started work on a Template for 010 Hex Editor.
Using the Template will allow just having drop-down selection lists for the stuff others have blazed like Sub and such.
Doing a Template also allows an easier way to view the file and figure out unknown values. (TDW's SH5 editor started as a 010 template for SH5!)
Old 12-18-21, 03:17 PM   #27
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

That sounds great Jeff, thanks for the update !
Old 12-18-21, 10:24 PM   #28
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RConch View Post

Again, the current version of CAOD I have, was downloaded from an online source a few years ago after I upgraded from Win XP to Win 7.

I had the original game CD since '95 and from what I understand, many different packages/versions went out at that time (mine is specifically for Win 95). Some played better than others, some were more buggy than others, it was really hit or miss. I know, the CD I got had its share of issues but I really enjoyed it ... when it didn't crash. Sound, was always an issue and often affected by non-supported sound cards. Anyway, after Windows 7, I could not get the CD to load for the life of me and downloaded it from https://www.old-games.com/download/4...es-of-the-deep I think? Been awhile. So, no patches or mods, just what I downloaded.

Now, to your point. Yes, even the downloaded version has some hang-ups which I wanted to address separately in a dedicated thread with hopes of getting work-arounds. Unfortunately, it was met right away by another member who sarcastically commented we didn't need to keep bringing the matter up. Not sure why, never came back with any follow up.

But yes, on the occasional mission, the engine noises cut in and the only way to get rid of them is to dive down and resurface. Its an issue, you just have to deal with it.

There are other occasional issues where you surface but your speed doesn't exceed 7 knots or you try to dive before getting attacked and the boat just sits there on the surface. In those cases, for some reason, the only thing that works is hitting "crash dive" and then … go do what you wanted to do in the first place. Again, until something gets fixed (maybe never) it is what it is.

Old 12-25-21, 10:57 PM   #29
Silent Otto
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon7

So, referring back to around post 22, I played around a little more with the issue of changing homeports and getting your sub to move to a different port and simulate starting out the next patrol at the new destination.

So far, the only way I can do it, is to keep that last saved file, then move the sub physically to the desired homeport and save the game. Then, go back to replay that first saved file (replaying the last "relocate" patrol) and you should be starting out where you last parked your boat.

I've noticed this (memory issue) before as well. Let's say you're in a Type VII boat during a career game but you decide to go play a single mission. If you don't choose a different type sub, you will play that mission as a Type VII. However, if you change your boat to say, a Type IX for the single mission and then go back to the career game, your boat will now be a Type IX until you change it back.

The more you know, the more questions you have...

Something we could try. If you wanted your homeport and/or sub type to change, could you stop the career game where you ended it, play a single mission game and change the homeport/sub type and then go back to the career game and the desired changes automatically took effect? We could try that.
Old 12-26-21, 12:34 AM   #30
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Strange; in AOD, via Steve's hex editing one can choose a port they want. Then at the most, they start their first patrol at x port but the next patrol is from the port chosen via the hex edit. There's even a message (paraphrasing) saying "Go to <new port> at the end of your patrol".

At least with a career start anyway.