Old 01-04-22, 04:17 PM   #886
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Except the light question.

I'm driving with High beam like we shall here in Denmark.
(but if this is not allowed according to real traffic law I would not use it)

Markus

Considering how high transportation trucks ( 18 wheelers ) stand, driving with high beams would blind oncoming drivers and therefore illegal to do so in the U.S. High beams are permitted with those trucks, light trucks and cars when no one is traveling toward you within a certain distance.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 05:06 PM   #887
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Except the light question.

I'm driving with High beam like we shall here in Denmark.
(but if this is not allowed according to real traffic law I would not use it)

Markus
Ahh my bad; the use of high-beams is governed by politeness more than law, which there are. Bearing in mind that a semi's headlights are higher than a auto's, avoiding blinding any oncoming driver or glaring some poor low car driver from the rear by his (three) mirrors is to be avoided. If there was no traffic on the long frigid sub-zero I-80 stretches across Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and Nebraska, where the lead driver does the driving instead of the newby codriver, just outta truck-school, the highbeams are very useful for catching retina reflections of bison, elk, moose, loose cattle, mustangs, antelope and deer-literallly in the headlights...in time to blast the air-horn to prompt them off the asphalt. 1200 lb.+ Moose hits are particularly bad on aluminum Freightliners at 70 mph...no 55 'bout it! Squirrels, raccoons, possums, rabbits, prairie dogs, feral cats, coyotes, armadillos,...and one sheepdog & a woodchuck are MINCE meat without an 80,000 lb. big-rig swerve's reprieve! On a given occasion, desperately needing water for an overheated radiator after a long climb up Parley's Pass, Utah in the truck lane, I could literally walk on the mouldering carpet of roadkill'd wildlife that had staggered off the lethal freeway(several seasons worth imho) down to a mountain stream 500 yards for a bucket of water!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-04-22 at 05:25 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 05:23 PM   #888
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Ahh my bad; the use of high-beams is governed by politeness more than law, which there are. Bearing in mind that a semi's headlights are higher than a auto's, avoiding blinding any oncoming driver or glaring some poor low car driver from the rear by his (three) mirrors is to be avoided. If there was no traffic on the long frigid sub-zero I-80 stretches across Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and Nebraska, where the lead driver does the driving instead of the newby codriver, just outta truck-school, the highbeams are very useful for catching retina reflections of bison, elk, moose, loose cattle, mustangs, antelope and deer-literallly in the headlights...in time to blast the air-horn to prompt them off the asphalt. 1200 lb.+ Moose hits are particularly bad on aluminum Freightliners at 70 mph...no 55 'bout it! Squirrels, raccoons, possums, rabbits, prairie dogs, feral cats, coyotes, armadillos,...and one sheepdog & a woodchuck are MINCE meat without an 80,000 lb. swerve's reprieve!
Thank you again and not to forget Commander Wallace for your answer on high beams and other lights on a truck.

So from now on no more high beams on my American trucks, when driving on the freeway. Otherwise I'll use it on ordinary roads and turn it off when meeting other traffic.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 08:40 PM   #889
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thank you again and not to forget Commander Wallace for your answer on high beams and other lights on a truck.

So from now on no more high beams on my American trucks, when driving on the freeway. Otherwise I'll use it on ordinary roads and turn it off when meeting other traffic.

Markus
You are very welcome, Markus. If aktung is coming toward you, you can blind him with your high beams, Markus. He is a good sport and won't mind.

Actually, all 50 states have varying rules regarding high beams and distances but pretty consistent on not blasting people with high beams and it's a law as well as a courtesy.

High Beams
  • High beams must be dimmed when approaching traffic is within 500 feet.
  • High beams must also be dimmed when following within 200 feet of another vehicle.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-all-50-states

As stated, the distance on overtaking vehicles can vary between 200-300 feet in various states.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 01-04-22 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 04:40 AM   #890
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

For curiosity: does "high beam" refer to roof-mounted additional lights, or is it refering to ordinary headlights mounted in or at height of the bumpers that in every sort of car can be switched to a brighter mode and in German would be called ordinary "Fernlicht"?

Dictionary fails me.

Ordinary "Fernlicht" use is regulated in Germay pretty much the same way as described above for the US. Probbaly the same way in any Wetsenr country, I suppose.

I sometimes curse when bicycles meet me during rides in darkness with new superbright LED front lights - and have them not correctly callibrated to slightly point down, but horizontally or even upwards, into the face. Its insane how these can blind you as well nowadays. Its nerve-killing how stupid some people are... Best is that way they do not see the road ahead themselves - all that expensive light power - in vain!
Old 01-05-22, 07:52 AM   #891
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
For curiosity: does "high beam" refer to roof-mounted additional lights, or is it refering to ordinary headlights mounted in or at height of the bumpers that in every sort of car can be switched to a brighter mode and in German would be called ordinary "Fernlicht"?

Dictionary fails me.

Ordinary "Fernlicht" use is regulated in Germay pretty much the same way as described above for the US. Probbaly the same way in any Wetsenr country, I suppose.

I sometimes curse when bicycles meet me during rides in darkness with new superbright LED front lights - and have them not correctly callibrated to slightly point down, but horizontally or even upwards, into the face. Its insane how these can blind you as well nowadays. Its nerve-killing how stupid some people are... Best is that way they do not see the road ahead themselves - all that expensive light power - in vain!
In the U.S, " high beams " here refer to basic headlights with a secondary filament or projector that is aimed higher and usually, a higher wattage. "
The roof mounted lights are usually for " off roading " and not legal for street use.

Usually, new cars and most trucks have " driving lights " mounted in the grille. They can also be the " fog lights " variety.

We just refer to them as auxiliary lighting.

In den USA bezieht sich "Fernlicht" hier auf grundlegende Scheinwerfer mit einem sekundären Glühfaden oder Projektor, der höher und normalerweise eine höhere Wattleistung hat. "Die Aufdachleuchten sind in der Regel für den "Offroad-Betrieb" und nicht für den Straßeneinsatz zugelassen. Normalerweise haben neue Autos und die meisten Lastwagen "Fahrlichter" im Kühlergrill montiert. Sie können auch die Sorte "Nebelscheinwerfer" sein. Wir bezeichnen sie nur als Hilfsbeleuchtung.
Old 01-05-22, 09:30 AM   #892
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Sorry Friends I was a little to hasty with my answer-when it comes to this high beam light.

Reason for my answers so far, was what I remembered what my Elder sister have told me a few times. High beam shall always be used on freeway
(Use to say to her: So it's ok that I shall be blinded by another cardriver who comes behind me-Her answer: You just concentrate on your driving).

Some hours ago I came to think about the traffic law-what does this say ?

Not to translate all of it-It says high beam should be used, but you are not allowed to blind another cardriver.
(Since it sounded like the one they have in Germany, I wonder if these traffic rules are regulated via EU ??)

Here in Denmark high beam is called fjernlys.

I toke my driving license in Sweden in the middle of the 90's

Back to discuss trucking throughout USA

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 09:40 AM   #893
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:

Here in Denmark high beam is called fjernlys.
Fjernlys. Fernlicht.

Did my driving license in 1985, last time used in 1990. I do not even know where I stored the license card. Its there, but I would need to search for it.

Commander Wallace,

thanks for the thorough explanation. Use of roof lights is not permitted. Use of constant Fernlicht/high beams is not permitted in Germany, too, only in intermittend intervals when there is no other traffic nearby, and outside of villages or cities.
Old 01-05-22, 10:57 AM   #894
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Got another traffic law question.

When I hold in the queue waiting for the lights turning green It happens that the car/truck in front of me start to drive and turn right.

Is it allowed to make a right turn even when it is red ??

Here is some info about max length a truck are allowed to have

"
In Denmark, the maximum legal length for a semi-trailer train is 16.50 m, however, 18.75 m for articulated buses. Modular vehicles up to 25.25 meters in length are permitted on Danish motorways and certain connections to industrial areas, bridges and ports
"

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 01-05-22 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-05-22, 11:08 AM   #895
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I've driven in numerous countries around the world over the years and in each one a steady/constant red light means one thing....STOP

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 11:14 AM   #896
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Got another traffic law question.

When I hold in the queue waiting for the lights turning green It happens that the car/truck in front of me start to drive and turn right.

Is it allowed to make a right turn even when it is red ??

Markus

In the U.S, you can make a turn on red provided you come to a complete stop and scan any streets / road entering the intersection and the roadway is clear. That is provided there isn't a no turn on red sign posted. If there is, it is usually because the opposing flow of traffic has a green arrow allowing movement. In that case, you can't turn on red. If you have a red light and legally allowed to turn, you must still yield the right away to vehicles entering the roadway / intersection which are operating under a green light or arrow.

Btw Skybird, you are very welcome. I'm glad I could help.
Old 01-05-22, 12:35 PM   #897
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
In the U.S, you can make a turn on red provided you come to a complete stop and scan any streets / road entering the intersection and the roadway is clear. That is provided there isn't a no turn on red sign posted. If there is, it is usually because the opposing flow of traffic has a green arrow allowing movement. In that case, you can't turn on red. If you have a red light and legally allowed to turn, you must still yield the right away to vehicles entering the roadway / intersection which are operating under a green light or arrow.

Btw Skybird, you are very welcome. I'm glad I could help.
Thank you.
I'm going to wait for green light. Better be safe than UPS Sorry.

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 02:02 PM   #898
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default BIG Brown Rules

Quote:
Better be safe than UPS Sorry.
"Smile when U say that Pardner"-The Virginian My trukkin career outta Teamster Local 287 started on the mean streets of downtown San José, CA: 1975...50 stops a day in a package van!!! before my escape to bigrigs; And regulation wool pants(no shorts, tattoos or facial hair) and handwritten paper signature clipboard sheets- before computer tablets...Christmas week was murder! SWEET JEEZUS!!! > theeze daze anything goes

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-06-22 at 03:35 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 02:06 PM   #899
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I knew someone would post a comment on it when I wrote UPS-The problem was I could not come up with a better word than UPS.
(Guess UPS=United Parcel Service)

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 02:45 PM   #900
Skybird
Soaring

In Germany you can turn right at red traffic lights if the traffic light house has a small green arrow sign pointing to the right. So, you need this sign to get an explicit permission. If there is no sign, then you better dont do it. Right of way has to be granted to crossing traffic, however.

Interestingly, as I recall it, the GDR had it this way first. After reunification, united Germany needed years and years to adapt this rule, and only on a few hand-selected crossroads. Its not the norm. Many want it to become the norm. It might become the norm one day, but right now it isn't.

Tags
driver, truck, trucker, truckers, trucks