SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-10, 03:04 PM   #31
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I have swaped caps on a mobo myself and have had it done a few times sicne I no longer have the tools to do so. Gotten good results each time.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 03:27 PM   #32
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

I will try to replace the caps if this is indeed the case. If it is already broke, why not?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 02:26 PM   #33
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Interesting thread!

If needed, I have an Asus M2NS-NVM/S doing nothing but floating around.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 05:03 PM   #34
Factor
Weps

The PSU will be at my door in the morning. I will let ya all know if it fixes the problem. I have a feeling it is those caps on the MoBo.

If it is the MoBo, I will just upgrade it for the future....(tax returns are soon!)
Old 01-02-11, 06:48 PM   #35
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

You didn't hear me mention the Core i7-930!

And yes, it's an AMD+ motherboard in need of a job.
If you choose to upgrade however, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the performance lift.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 07:44 PM   #36
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I will try to replace the caps if this is indeed the case. If it is already broke, why not?
That's the spirit Factor.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 09:34 AM   #37
Factor
Weps

Well it wasn't the PSU. Computer is doing the same thing as before. So I assume it is the caps on the MoBo. Going to try and change the battery then rewire the power button, but......, whatever. lol.
Old 01-04-11, 10:45 AM   #38
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Well it wasn't the PSU. Computer is doing the same thing as before. So I assume it is the caps on the MoBo. Going to try and change the battery then rewire the power button, but......, whatever. lol.

I feel your frustration man. Been there. I too did the change this and that. I looked at the caps also to see if there was leakage or some crap. But it as my power button as I posted above. It is a pain in the arse no doubt!
Old 01-04-11, 03:51 PM   #39
Factor
Weps

Yea, it is! lol.

Anyway, I am going to have it looked at by Intrex Computers, see if they can figure it out so I dont keep throwing parts in it.
Old 03-09-11, 03:31 PM   #40
Factor
Weps

Well after a few weeks of having the computer just sitting dead on the desk, I called Intrex to see how much it would cost to repair the mobo. They gave me a insane quote. So I did it myself.

I got a ASUS mobo to install. Since i was going to have the whole rig tore down, I decided it was a wise move to put in a new processor too.

So, from Tiger Direct i got a ASUS mobo and AMD phenom quad core processor.

Put the rig back together and it works! So it turns out I did have a fried mobo before.

Anyway, I cannot believe how FAST this rig is with the new cpu chip. I was using a 3800 single core. The difference is mind blowing. For example, SH5 was choppy with the old cpu, now, I am getting frames of 75 inside and out of the sub. About 30-40 near ports and land. (full detail. AA slider set at half way)

So I installed a new processor, new motherboard, new power supply, and upgraded the vid card last march with a nvidia 9800 gtx. Runs nice! The only original part is the tower, and ram. (Aspire Cruiser X tower, 4 gig Corsair ram)

I plan on upgrading the vid card again after i fry the current one i am using. Proberly within the year I would bet!
Old 03-09-11, 06:07 PM   #41
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Well after a few weeks of having the computer just sitting dead on the desk, I called Intrex to see how much it would cost to repair the mobo. They gave me a insane quote. So I did it myself.

I got a ASUS mobo to install. Since i was going to have the whole rig tore down, I decided it was a wise move to put in a new processor too.

So, from Tiger Direct i got a ASUS mobo and AMD phenom quad core processor.

Put the rig back together and it works! So it turns out I did have a fried mobo before.

Anyway, I cannot believe how FAST this rig is with the new cpu chip. I was using a 3800 single core. The difference is mind blowing. For example, SH5 was choppy with the old cpu, now, I am getting frames of 75 inside and out of the sub. About 30-40 near ports and land. (full detail. AA slider set at half way)

So I installed a new processor, new motherboard, new power supply, and upgraded the vid card last march with a nvidia 9800 gtx. Runs nice! The only original part is the tower, and ram. (Aspire Cruiser X tower, 4 gig Corsair ram)

I plan on upgrading the vid card again after i fry the current one i am using. Proberly within the year I would bet!
Nice I'm getting a GTX 560 Ti this weekend to replace my old 9800GTX+. The 9800GTX+ is amazing but I need more power for Shogun 2 Total War and more video RAM. It still could run Shogun 2 pretty decent even on high but it could bog down to less than 30 zooming all in a big fight sometimes.