SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-16, 01:34 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Neede help regarding Mcafee

So I got a new computer and with it an antivirus program McAfee(total free for 3 month)

I'm sitting here and tear almost all my hair of due to huge problems

1. Trying to tell McAfee that some of my program is ok and should have acces to the Internet-Can't figure out how I shall do this

2. Having huge problems getting updates/upgrades to some of my games(Command, SHIV)

The only way I can get information from and sending information from some of my software-Which I trust, I have to disable McAfee Firewall, Which I don't like to do.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 07:24 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Just my personal opinion, I would dump McAfee and go with a different one. When I tried it years ago, it was nothing but a giant headache. I have used the free version of Avast for several years. It has done a good job for me, with no trouble.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 08:44 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Just my personal opinion, I would dump McAfee and go with a different one. When I tried it years ago, it was nothing but a giant headache. I have used the free version of Avast for several years. It has done a good job for me, with no trouble.
You know what, on my old computer I had Avast Internet Security and Clean-Up and when I installed a new trusted program and started it a pop-up window came up asking me if I trust that program or not.

I did not have any problems getting updates/upgrades to my computer games like Command.

So I'm seriously thinking about installing Avast on my new computer.

Markus
Old 07-18-16, 12:41 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

If you do dump McAfee (I did too) - Uninstall it using 'Add Remove Programs' or 'Programs' through 'Control Panel' and also run the McAfee Removal Tool (free) to remove all (most) traces of it.

I also ran Ccleaner to remove the left over registry entries:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/ - (there is a free download )
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-16, 06:32 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Markus
Your anti virus is only free for 3 months before you have to start paying for it, dumping it now is not going to cost you anything anyway.
At least you can get something that works.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 04:39 AM   #6
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I had the whole package of McAfee free for three months seemed to be alright but I rather Avast the free edition. Removing it was a pain, ran McAfee remove tool and then a search resulting in bits and pieces left behind! Had to manually remove that junk. I just think if you want it and gladly pay for it thats up to you, I'm a Avast free edition person mainly because I've been with it for years and happy with it.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 01:33 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for your advice as mentioned before I'm going to drop McAfee and first install the free Avast program and when my full Avast ends on my older computer, I will upgrade my free Avast to full on my new computer.

I'm terrible to explain things even more terrible when it comes explain things regarding computer things like antivirus and why I loved the full version of Avast more than the free version.

Markus
Old 08-07-16, 05:08 PM   #8
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

McAfee,Is bad.I use F-Secure.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 05:16 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Some updates

I have now fully removed McAfee from my computer and installed the Avast free version and have the free version until sometime in October, then full version

As mentioned in another subforum(Command) I had huge problems getting the updates to this Simulations game.

I was sure it had to be the McAfee's firewall, even though I closed it while getting things to my Command-patching it from 1.0 to 1.9 I kept on getting this error message right after I had downloaded everything-The bar with these blue dots was filled- then this Error came

Today with my new antivirus installed I tried again....same result again this message

Then I toke a look at the incoming and outgoing traffic in my firewall-to be honest I don't know what I should look for I don't know which port my computer use when it download stuff from this Command game.

Markus
Old 08-10-16, 09:45 PM   #10
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

I'm trying SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition to see how it is. So far it's been pretty good. All my other antivirus programs were removed when I did the "Repair" for 8.1.

After the Free Trial it's 19.99/year. Not a bad price. Or get a really free antivirus software. Be careful tho and they do get the really nasty stuff out. AVG Free was one I used to use back in my XP days. I had HitmanPro, removed by the "Repair", that worked but not as good as I was told it would be.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote