SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-08, 10:20 PM   #106
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
To rest your mind Neal, I have 150 trucks staged in Carville LA. I have over 300 trailers loaded with MRE, water, tarps and JFO kits at Carville and Port Allen. I have 5 86000# generators (these can light a small city) and 15 trailers of smaller generators in Carville as well.
I'd feel a lot better if I had one of those generators parked in my drive way right now. I'll PM you my address.

It's 2200 hours here, power is still on. Wind gusts have picked up to ~40 mph, food is still holding out pretty well but I'm eating non-stop now. Something about hurricanes makes me hungry. So far, things are peachy here.

PS: Richard says park one of those generators in Clute, too.
Neal, I doubt you will, but if you need anything my door is open.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:23 PM   #107
RamRod
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Galveston Evacuation

Galveston called for a mandatory evacuation yesterday but not everyone left. There are many people still on the island and there are already reports of looting. Many people that wished now they had left are being sheltered in Ball High School.
RamRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:24 PM   #108
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

I just got home and turned on the weather channel ...

What's the first thing I see?

Sugarland is under lock down 8pm curfew ...

I think Neal is in Missouri City which is bascally the Sugarland area ...

Neal is in lockdown
Old 09-12-08, 10:35 PM   #109
TheBrauerHour
Mr. Eastwood

Downloads: 18

Hope Neal weathers the storm well. The video I am watching here doesn't look good.
TheBrauerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:42 PM   #110
RamRod
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue

Neal is in lockdown
I think Neal lives further east, like in Pearland. My guess is he's huddled up in a sleeping blanket under his kitchen table, talking on the phone to his girlfriend to keep himself from panicing.
Old 09-12-08, 10:49 PM   #111
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue

Neal is in lockdown
I think Neal lives further east, like in Pearland. My guess is he's huddled up in a sleeping blanket under his kitchen table, talking on the phone to his girlfriend to keep himself from panicing.
Thats where he lives Pearland ... when I was in highschool back in the 60's Pearland, Sugaland and Missouri City all ran together.

CNN just reported La Porte is flooding and that is way inland on Galveston Bay. I lived there till 1977.

This is going to be a wild ride
Old 09-12-08, 10:54 PM   #112
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vois2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vois2
On 09-10-2008, 10:38 PM , vois2 wrote

It looks like this thing will make landfall within spitting distance of Galveston on either side ... and yet am I correct in my understanding that Galveston Island is *NOT* being evacated?

I don't know where Neal is exactly but he's probably closer in to Houston proper.

I'm no emergency modeler but I am thinking ... low-lying coastal island ... Cat 4 washing up very nearby ... not good for the dogs and the cats and the toddlers living on that island.

Well, hopefully the residents won't shoot firearms at the rescue helicopters landing on the island after the storm passes.
I wrote that 48 hrs ago when almost all the models had Ike coming in at Freeport. Mr. Ike decided to head in much closer and onto Galveston Island - not that Freeport would have been much better for the island itself considering the location of Galveston Island relative to (what was once predicted as) a Freeport landing. I haven't followed the news in the last couple of days but I do hope every living soul is off of Galveston Island.
Unfortunately, that is not the case...

CNN Coverage

Galveston had ordered evacuation of the island, but LeBlanc said about 40 percent of the city's 57,523 residents chose to stay. "It's unfortunate that the warnings that we sent out were not heeded," he said.

Fox Coverage

The emergency management coordinator for Galveston County estimates that 80 percent of the residents evacuated. That leaves more than 11,000 residents in the county that is expected to take a direct hit from Ike's massive storm surge.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:06 PM   #113
RamRod
Watch

Pearland Resident Cracks Under Weight of Hurricane Ike
By Ricky Gillicake Copyright 2008 Houston Chronacle

Pearland - This afternoon Pearland resident Neal Stevens was detained after a 30 minute chase through his upscale subdivision, naked but for a scuba mask and snorkle running and splashing in ankle deep water screaming phrases such as "Batton down the hatches!" and "Emergency Blow!".
Police and EMS responders were quoted as saying that the stress of the impending hurricane was too much strain for the unfortunate man who among other things is a researcher of submarine history. They also reported that family had been notified and would be available to ease the troubled man's mind. County officials are unsure how to categorize this casualty of the storm.

Last edited by RamRod; 09-12-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 11:13 PM   #114
vois2
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
sonar732 wrote ...

Unfortunately, that is not the case...

CNN Coverage

Galveston had ordered evacuation of the island, but LeBlanc said about 40 percent of the city's 57,523 residents chose to stay. "It's unfortunate that the warnings that we sent out were not heeded," he said.

Fox Coverage

The emergency management coordinator for Galveston County estimates that 80 percent of the residents evacuated. That leaves more than 11,000 residents in the county that is expected to take a direct hit from Ike's massive storm surge.
Thanks for the links. Geez, I don't know what to say about the folks who actually live on the island and who chose to stay. I believe they have been lured by an "extremely false" sense of security. Their homes and businesses and structures are going to fill up from the bottom up like a bathtub. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to leave a couple of hundred ... or thousand ... drowning victims.

I donate to Subsim because it is one of the best communities on the Interwebs.
Stick around a couple of years, and you will see. You're never far from a friend here.
Sunk at location vois22 [at] gmail . com
vois2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 11:44 PM   #115
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod
Pearland Resident Cracks Under Weight of Hurricane Ike
By Ricky Gillicake Copyright 2008 Houston Chronacle

Pearland - This afternoon Pearland resident Neal Stevens was detained after a 30 minute chase through his upscale subdivision, naked but for a scuba mask and snorkle running and splashing in ankle deep water screaming phrases such as "Batton down the hatches!" and "Emergency Blow!".
Police and EMS responders were quoted as saying that the stress of the impending hurricane was too much strain for the unfortunate man who among other things is a researcher of submarine history. They also reported that family had been notified and would be available to ease the troubled man's mind. County officials are unsure how to categorize this casualty of the storm.
Not true. My subdivison is not upscale, more like the ghetto
Old 09-12-08, 11:45 PM   #116
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

103 knot winds at flight level from the Hurricane Hunter aircraft so far and it's not at the eye yet.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 12:27 AM   #117
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
food is still holding out pretty well but I'm eating non-stop now. Something about hurricanes makes me hungry. So far, things are peachy here.
This just in: SubSim owner missing after hurricane. Police find 400-pound stranger occupying his house. Claims he is the same person, but authorities suspicious. Children adamant - "That's not my dad!"

Film at eleven.
Old 09-13-08, 01:44 AM   #118
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

0145: we now have hurricane force winds. There is a steady roar outside. One of my trees, the corner pine, has been toppled. Not sure if it has been uprooted, but I can see that at least half of it is horizontal. The wind blast is pretty constant and you can hear very ominous sounds (booms, cracks, and occasionally ripping sounds) outside the house. Very dark. With my powerful flashlight I can see the trees whipping around like grass, and the limbs as big as your arm falling like autumn leave. Very exciting stuff, wish it was daytime so I could see better.
Old 09-13-08, 01:53 AM   #119
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

According to the radio, the eye of the storm is now crossing Galveston. It should pass very close if not exactly over Pearland in about an hour.
Old 09-13-08, 01:59 AM   #120
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

We've been getting power blips for the last 90 minutes now. Power goes off for 30 seconds and then comes back on. Warhawk, where's that generator you promised !