SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-08, 04:19 PM   #316
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Some of these require greater minds than mine to answer but here goes

1 find grid AL22 divide it into nine grids, the bottom right one is al229 repeat the process for that grid and the bottom right one is AL2299. there's a graphic out there on the forum in several threads that explains it visually, and probably also in the GWX manual. which leads me to:

1a RTFM! believe me, it's worth it and answers some of your questions in excuciating detail.

2 ah yes, but a sub ubgrade costs renown, see? therefore buying a bigger boat got you demoted back to Leutnant zS, because rank is based on your current renown not renown earned over time. It's a stock thing...

3 Dunno, never used it....

4 Longitude/latitude as far as I know are only used for contact reports that are outside the Kriegsmarine Grid map, and those show as marks. They're also used for GWX radio messages that refer to historical events but not to actual ships at that spot (mostly) they're for flavor

5 if you promote them or give them medals that gets them renown, not sure what else it does though, maybe nothing

6 When they reach their destination they disappear, go loiter off Liverpool sometime, wait for a convoy to appear and follow, you'll see it disappear into thin air... it's the only workable way to do it.
as to ships sunk by weather, yes this happens when you stay near a convoy for a long time in bad weather. This I consider to be very realistic because ships did get lost due to weather, especially since some of them were rusty hulks from the 1890s held together with spit and rubber bands and a lot of hope....

7 Ummm... I think it's based on random chance, the weather has X% chance of changing in one of the variables, clouds, rain, wind speed and direction over Y amount of time. and I think some of nthose variables are linked, but this could be answered by someone with more insight of the workings of the game.
Personally I have never entirely understood the weather in SH3, and I fear I never will, just hate it and live with it would be my advice

8 They're greyed out because your boat does not have any radar installed, once you do get radar they'll become active, same for the deckgun ina type II
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 10:00 AM   #317
prince_vlad
Watch

Downloads: 0
Default thank you!

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!...If I find more question be sure I'll be asking them.
prince_vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 07:28 PM   #318
bosco2k
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 22
Default Which version of sh3 do I have?

It is listed as 1.4.0.1, is that 1.4b?
bosco2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 10:45 AM   #319
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

yes
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 02:24 PM   #320
barkhorn45
Sailor man

Downloads: 42

interstingly enough i have been using the buttons to set the crew from cruise mode to attack mode both surfaced and submerged.granted i've only been using gwx 2.1 for 2 patrols and a couple of single missions and it has'ent given me a problem.until reading these post's i did'nt realize there was a problem.also as for the damaged disc you can go to direct to drive and d/l sh3 that is already patched to 1.4 for $9.95.
barkhorn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 03:17 PM   #321
Turbine
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default You guys are giving the sim community a bad name!

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread from newbie questions but at least I am a newbie.
I have only read through about half of this thread so far and I have noticed a distinct lack of meanness towards the noobs. What's up with that? You guys are giving the sim community a bad name!
I recently downloaded SH3 from Steam and I love it. I spent 4 years on a modern sub (SSN-652) and I never thought I would enjoy being on one again.
It must be the fact that I can turn it off & go take a shower with as much water as I want. Thanks for being a great community!
Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 07:00 AM   #322
Buczek
Nub

Downloads: 2

Hello, is there any place where I can lay my hands on Silent Hunter III Community Manual? Wiki site is down, but maybe somone has it copied to .pdf or .rtf file? Or maybe it's hosted somewhere I can't locate it?

Thanks in advance for Your help!
Buczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 07:06 AM   #323
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Welcome to Subsim.

You can download the entire Wiki here - http://files.filefront.com/SH3+Commu.../fileinfo.html

Very kindly saved by Yamato.
Old 08-14-08, 07:07 AM   #324
meduza
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 40

SH3 Community Manual

Welcome aboard!
meduza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 07:37 AM   #325
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

@ Buczek
On it's way.

Edit - Weird edit.
Old 08-25-08, 07:38 AM   #326
Capt Sinbad
Loader

Downloads: 24

Guys i would really love to be able to hunt and kill shipping realisticly as you lot seem to be doing. My problem is i don't have the ability to print off the manuals such as Wazoo's Manual Charting & Targeting Tutorial.

Is there anyway that i can play the game, then pause it and then look and read the tutorial step by step ingame?

cheers guys
Capt Sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 11:25 AM   #327
JHuschke
XO

Downloads: 32

These links change often when you click on them seperate times. What is the exact link for the community manual?
JHuschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 07:44 AM   #328
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by G00BER
These links change often when you click on them seperate times. What is the exact link for the community manual?
try this one:
http://alexbret.perso.cegetel.net/index4875.php

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-08, 01:32 PM   #329
Havokflight
Watch

Downloads: 7

Great thread and thanks for posting the link to the Community Manual.
Havokflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 06:16 PM   #330
Big Scouse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Aaaaaaaaaargh!

I am just about tearing my chuffing hair out and getting thoroughly hacked off with this, I started to play SHIII a while ago, could'nt get my head round it and binned it, recently another player convinced me to give it another try which I did, started to understand more and so played more......in career mode I managed to complete all the Wilhemshaven patrols, gained enough renown to upgrade my boat which I did, and my base port was changed to Brest, sailed on five patrols from there and every time it crashed!, my oppo said something about a snag if there was an A/S Trawler in the vicinity and reccomended that I try downloading GWX2, after much hunting around the net (he never gave me a link ) I found the homepage, made my donation and downloaded the mod, deleted my SHIII and reloaded it with the 1.4 patch and ran GWX exe.......and some of the files are corrupted ......now I cannot get back to the download page without making another donation to re-download the corrupt files......I am a bit wary of making another donation when the download was corrupt so am stymied.............

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Last edited by Big Scouse; 11-06-08 at 06:17 PM.