Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-19-21, 03:20 AM   #3556
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
[...] Currently the Dixie Fire near the devasting Paradise Fire that killed 85 three years ago, is underway. Napa has sent crews to help out : God is a comedian; no asteroid for us dinosaurs this time. Our own stupidity, overpopulation and global warming will get the job done this time....
Nooo it is never "our" fault, fake news, weather has been like this all the time, snowflakes.

Seriously, hope you and the region are safe

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 12:50 PM   #3557
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Facebook Delivers News of Karma

When I was sixteen I reluctantly followed my brother and his mate into the local YMCA club after our Army Cadet parade night (I knew the reputation the place had)

No sooner had we walked in than a thug jumped me from behind and pounded his fist into the side of my head. He was quickly grabbed by a bunch of guys (as was I) intent on separating us and avoiding any more violence. I wouldn't have lasted long against this enormous moron so they did me a big favour

Today, after acceeding to a Facebook friends request from a bloke I only vaguely remember from my home town and who numbers quite a few historical bullies from that town on his friends list, I was gladdened to see a photo of my attacker (that he'd posted himself) lying in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of his fat body, the bastard

You see, it seems that what goes around really does come around
Old 07-28-21, 03:18 PM   #3558
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
When I was sixteen [...] I was gladdened to see a photo of my attacker (that he'd posted himself) lying in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of his fat body, the bastard
You sure are a vengeful lot

Old 07-29-21, 09:27 AM   #3559
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
When I was sixteen I reluctantly followed my brother and his mate into the local YMCA club after our Army Cadet parade night (I knew the reputation the place had)

No sooner had we walked in than a thug jumped me from behind and pounded his fist into the side of my head. He was quickly grabbed by a bunch of guys (as was I) intent on separating us and avoiding any more violence. I wouldn't have lasted long against this enormous moron so they did me a big favour

Today, after acceeding to a Facebook friends request from a bloke I only vaguely remember from my home town and who numbers quite a few historical bullies from that town on his friends list, I was gladdened to see a photo of my attacker (that he'd posted himself) lying in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of his fat body, the bastard

Similarly, I remember a bully from my teen years and when I happened to see him parking up in a supermarket I 'arranged' for many a traffic stop for suspected speeding and more than a couple of parking tickets.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 05:54 PM   #3560
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^
Old 08-04-21, 12:28 PM   #3561
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Lt Alden P Rigby

Facebook can be a wonderful thing. I recently posted in an aviation group my painting of Lt Alden P Rigby mixing it with German 'Bodenplatte' raiders. Then before I knew it I was being hailed by both his son and his grandson!

This has now been published on a large greetings card so I'm very pleased to be able to send them one each, since they are both avid collectors of anything connected with their illustrious relative
Old 08-04-21, 01:50 PM   #3562
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

^ I would say that is very top quality ole chap
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 04:52 PM   #3563
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ Thank you, Mr Q
Old 08-04-21, 05:14 PM   #3564
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Facebook can be a wonderful thing. I recently posted in an aviation group my painting of Lt Alden P Rigby mixing it with German 'Bodenplatte' raiders. Then before I knew it I was being hailed by both his son and his grandson!

This has now been published on a large greetings card so I'm very pleased to be able to send them one each, since they are both avid collectors of anything connected with their illustrious relative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
^ I would say that is very top quality ole chap
Now you really are a desireable artist!
Quote:
Silver Star Citation reads:

For gallantry in action against the enemy, 1 January 1945. Lieutenant Rigby, with his Squadron, was taxiing down the runway for a take off at an advanced airbase on the Continent when approximately fifty (50) enemy fighters attacked. Although taken completely by surprise and handicapped by full fuselage fuel tanks, he engaged and destroyed one (1) FW-190 almost before the wheels had retracted. When his gunsight ceased to function while pursuing another enemy aircraft, he closed in and opened fire at point blank range, observing the plane crash in some trees. Returning over the airbase, he assisted a fellow pilot in destroying a ME-109 and then expended the last of his ammunition in shooting down an enemy fighter which was damaged and being pursued by two P-51's. The fearless initiative, zealous fighting spirit, and exceptional bravery evinced by Lieutenant Rigby in attacking such a vastly superior force is in keeping with the highest traditions of the Army Air Forces.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 05:41 PM   #3565
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^
Old 08-05-21, 01:40 PM   #3566
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Well deserved Glynn

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 02:19 PM   #3567
Catfish

Had not heard this before, 50 enemies while only starting ..
Very good painting of the blue nose, with the aluminium shimmering in the winter sun

Old 08-07-21, 09:59 AM   #3568
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default In the meantime...

This B-17G flew over our road about 25 minutes ago and headed for Boston, seemingly to do a flypast at some event in the park because it came straight back. It was quite a way up but I didn't want to risk missing the moment whilst operating the zoom, so I settled for a few long shots. I've no idea where it's from but it headed south towards Norfolk

When I told Moira what it was she said she did hope that we get to see at least one more special bird in the garden before we move. I said maybe a Golden Eagle will swoop down and take one of her mother's yappy mutts when she visits one day. I'll say "Quick, Moira... get the bird book so we can tick it off"
Old 08-07-21, 10:18 AM   #3569
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Get a longer lens! The only B-17 not on static-display in England is # 44-85784 out of IWM at Duxford, restored as the 'Sally-B'. Only 2 flight-worthy B-17's are in all of Europe. The aircraft bears the livery on one side as #41-24485 'Memphis Belle' used in the movie in 1989. https://www.sallyb.org.uk/history.htm

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-07-21 at 10:31 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 07:07 PM   #3570
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks, Aktung. I saw the aircraft on their way to film at Binbrook in 1989. Again they crossed our road but at the other end that time and going north; I was carrying picnic chairs around to our neighbours' house for a bbq

Amazing how these machines are still flying when you think of how many cars you've sent for scrap in that time