SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-24, 03:04 PM   #31
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

My putting are improving on todays course I had 11+.

For some reason unknown to me I seem to be dragged to these sandbunkers. At almost every hole I seem to hit one of these sandbunkers.

8 PM eastern time is 0200 here in Denmark- which mean my rounds start Wednesday afternoon. 8 AM eastern time approx.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-24, 04:28 PM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If you like sandbunkers already now, you will soon love them once you start swinging the real deal .
Personally, I am convinced that many golf courses are an expression of the psychopathic-sadistic personality structure of their designers, who, with a mixture of precognitive knowledge of where balls land and a diabolical schadenfreude at the agony and suffering of their helpless, unsuspecting victims, are allowed to give unrestrained expression to their inner cruelty, which is only concealed with difficulty in everyday life, by allowing them to design golf courses, whereas in the past such suspicious characters were shackled to the walls of institutions with iron chains to protect the public from their sadistic activities.
Old 02-27-24, 04:43 PM   #33
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

lol...as you can put it Marc.
Ohh I'm already eager to play Golf+

Markus

Old 02-27-24, 04:54 PM   #34
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Haha too true. It's interesting you talked about the designer, as that is what came to mind reading markus' post.

They're traps in both the literal and figurative sense, aren't they? Placement is influenced by several things, lay of the land, and the designer's vision of introducing risk/reward to the shot, and also as a way to punish poor play.

You have to think your way around the course. Allow for slope, make good decisions on that risk/reward thing, and use caution when it is called for, and be aggressive when you'll likely get away with it. Sometimes you should be playing to the fat part of the green, and not firing at the flag, or laying up on a par five, hitting one-iron instead of driver, and this sort of thing.

Good golf is about scoring low, but a big part of that is avoiding calamity. A bogey here and there is OK, but doubles and triples will kill your round. Sometimes you just catch a super unlucky break, or a hole is very hard, but usually these big scores are a result of gambling on the reward and getting the risk.

The putting in this game is really good. I've played every golf game I think down the years, starting with some on a 386. Very rudimentary, especially compared to 2K23. And I like this putting best of all of them. It takes practice, but you get the hang of it. A game like this is all about practice, repetition skills. The more you play the lower you'll go.

2K23 added both the skills and archetypes that we didn't have in 2K21. These will make a difference too, and if you stick with it and play a lot you'll fill these out pretty quickly.

It also did away with equipment brands giving different performance. Now all brands are just cosmetic, and performance was shifted in to the fittings mechanic. If you upgrade these over time it will make the ball go farther, more control over spin and that sort of thing, so worth pursuing. A fully upgraded driver is worth at least 30 yards off the tee as an example. That player is hitting a shorter iron in to the green and so it all cascades through the hole. Longer off the tee, shorter iron, closer approach, shorter putt. In theory anyway, so upgrade your clubs as you can.

I'll hop on tonight and play at least a couple rounds so there's a ghost if you want to use it. You have seven days to finish so go at your own pace.
Old 02-27-24, 06:30 PM   #35
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I need to learn how to understand the wind arrow and the ground symbols at the green(think it is what they call the area where the hole is)

I keep on hitting the ball to much into the ruff

Markus

Old 02-28-24, 08:44 AM   #36
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yes, the green is showing break, which way it slopes and how severe the slope is. Wind is a matter of experience, knowing how much to compensate, how much more or less club to hit when taking the wind in to account. Elevation is another consideration, and you'll need to adjust as necessary.

I played the first two rounds at this week's event, Craggy Heights. This is an interesting course off the tee, and you'll need to back off on some holes, hitting 3-wood or less on some of them. Greens are tricky.

If you want to use my ghost, when you are at the screen where you go to the course you will see Add Player. Find my ghost and add to group. Then you will see an orange dot on each hole showing my ball flight.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-24, 10:01 AM   #37
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Q+E change of club-But I still have the same Iron when starting from Tee- Even though I changed to Wood, it goes back to my iron.

I have used 4 hits and are around 100-150 feet from Tee

Do I have to buy my set of Clubs ??

I started on my first crusade in our society today and I don't know how to get the ball to fly longer than 150-200 yards. Or how to change club from Iron to Wood/Wedge

Markus

Old 02-28-24, 10:47 AM   #38
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

You don't need to buy clubs, these are just cosmetic. All clubs are equal, aside from the fittings you can change and upgrade. Shaft, grip and club head can be upgraded. This will take some time.

I use a controller, but I looked it up and Q & E are the right keys. I wouldn't know why it doesn't 'stick' as the club you are selecting. Must be a simple reason.

The difficulty settings in our league are probably different than what you were using before and that might explain some of what is going on.
Old 02-28-24, 10:52 AM   #39
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
You don't need to buy clubs, these are just cosmetic. All clubs are equal, aside from the fittings you can change and upgrade. Shaft, grip and club head can be upgraded. This will take some time.

I use a controller, but I looked it up and Q & E are the right keys. I wouldn't know why it doesn't 'stick' as the club you are selecting. Must be a simple reason.

The difficulty settings in our league are probably different than what you were using before and that might explain some of what is going on.
It has been years since I have played Golf - I have therefore set most of the settings to easy.

I'll try to search for help on Google.

Markus

Old 02-28-24, 11:30 AM   #40
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yes, the society uses Pro setting, which isn't hard, but might be a step up from your early practice. I think there is a way to see the difficulty settings on the same screen where you can add player? Check these out and mimic them in your offline play so when you hit the course in our events it will feel the same. The settings are generous, but you've only just started so might not feel that way right now. It will come.
Old 02-29-24, 08:10 AM   #41
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I finished the tournament. This was a bit of an outlier, so don't look too closely at my scores haha. The conditions in the final two rounds are a little too easy, and that's on me as I set it up lol. In the third round it is raining, and the course is soft. My first two approach shots came up a little short, but that just showed how soft the greens were, and after that I started firing at the flags. Final round the wind died and honestly we need a little wind to keep things interesting.

My putter was on fire in the third round, best I've ever done. Just one of those things as I didn't do anything differently, but this time they all fell in the hole.

Hope you're getting on well with it markus. Let me know if I can help.
Old 02-29-24, 09:26 AM   #42
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
I finished the tournament. This was a bit of an outlier, so don't look too closely at my scores haha. The conditions in the final two rounds are a little too easy, and that's on me as I set it up lol. In the third round it is raining, and the course is soft. My first two approach shots came up a little short, but that just showed how soft the greens were, and after that I started firing at the flags. Final round the wind died and honestly we need a little wind to keep things interesting.

My putter was on fire in the third round, best I've ever done. Just one of those things as I didn't do anything differently, but this time they all fell in the hole.

Hope you're getting on well with it markus. Let me know if I can help.
It's not going well in my first round I discovered that there was a setting to how you are going to play the ball - Put or smash(not the correct word I know) You make these changes using z and x.

So I did that and I changed club to the first wood-The ball came 47 yds. and it was my last shot (par 5)

Have absolutely no clue what I'm doing wrong.

If I shall play the course the first hole I would need 20-25 hits.

Markus

Old 02-29-24, 10:00 AM   #43
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Obviously something is going wrong. Maybe watch a video and see if you can spot it. Are you using three-click now?

Maybe this would help?

Old 02-29-24, 11:20 AM   #44
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I discovered how to activate this 3-click.

Now I have to learn how to use it-'cause I use 3-click and the ball came around 50-75 yds. in these test shots I made.

Markus

Old 02-29-24, 12:15 PM   #45
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I don't think I could assess the problem without seeing you swing. Hopefully this is just temporary and you'll work it out. I'll help any way I can, but I'd just be guessing at this point.

Three click is hold to set power, and release (shoot for 100%)

Click at the top to set swing path
Click at the bottom to set club face