SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-22, 10:16 AM   #136
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

These are some of the reasons why I would never buy a Tesla, even if I would want to buy an e-car (what I absolutely do not want to buy). Nor would I want to have anything to do with any of Musk's businesses.

https://twitter.com/lopezlinette/sta...022%20Airtable
Old 11-09-22, 11:15 PM   #137
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Can this be taxed?

New York says yes.
Old 11-10-22, 12:47 AM   #138
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i don't drive nothing newer than a 1980 anything newer is junk
Old 11-10-22, 02:40 AM   #139
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
What I wonder is: Have they solved the temp problems.

It cannot be solved, as this is a matter of basic thermodynamics and chemical equilibrium. A change in temperature will always influence chemical reaction, lowering the temperature will always slow down a chemical reaction.

There can be workarounds, like a heating system that keeps the battery (which actually is an accumulator, not a battery) above a certain temperature, like 5°C or 10°C / 41-50 °F), but this of course also drains power from the accumulator, so in the end it doesn't change much about the range of the car (however, it definitely increases accumulator life).
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-22, 04:01 AM   #140
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

...and don't go taking those Telsas to the beach.
https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../17/690430.htm
Old 11-11-22, 11:39 AM   #141
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
Dunno about that Les. I've had my share of pre 1980 cars and I have to say my present 2012 is better in a bunch of ways. Reliability, gas mileage, comfort. All much better than the best of my old rides.

The best one was my '78 Buick LeSabre. Like a hundred feet from bow to stern but was beautiful highway car.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-22, 12:03 PM   #142
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post

I got a 04 highlander with 200,000 miles. What I look for in a car is accessibility and being able to perform basic maintenance tasks like changing the battery, transmission and engine oil, plugs, wires, starter, light bulbs, alternator, belts, struts, brakes and such. That’s getting harder if not impossible to find in newer cars.

Everyone thinks those LED head lights are the best thing since sliced bread, they look so cool!. Until just one diode goes out and they have to take it to a shop to remove the front clip in order to replace a whole headlight assembly for several hundred dollars. Me, I go to Walmart buy a $20.00 halogen bulb and replace it myself in under 5 minutes

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-11-22 at 12:14 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-22, 05:00 PM   #143
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Tesla: ‘There’s almost no reason to have a gas car’

This is a bit like a fish saying "There's almost no reason to walk around on dry land"
Old 11-15-22, 07:06 AM   #144
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

If this shows to have been a software fault and not driver's fault, then it would be a major PR desaster for Tesla. There have been desastrous incidents with Teslas before - but none so visually well-documented.

Personally, i may be able to get used to automatised railtrack traffic (subway, trains). But autonomous cars I will never feel acceptance for. The number of possible and unpredictable interfering variables that could mess up just any situation out of the blue, is beyond my tolerance level.

Old 11-15-22, 07:25 AM   #145
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Me too.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-22, 12:13 PM   #146
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Me too.

We'll see if you have a choice. I think they will find that for any auto-piloting scheme to work it will require every vehicle on the road to be on the same network or at the very least have some sort of transponder.

Old 11-15-22, 01:07 PM   #147
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If this shows to have been a software fault and not driver's fault, then it would be a major PR desaster for Tesla. There have been desastrous incidents with Teslas before - but none so visually well-documented.

Personally, i may be able to get used to automatised railtrack traffic (subway, trains). But autonomous cars I will never feel acceptance for. The number of possible and unpredictable interfering variables that could mess up just any situation out of the blue...
Now kick it up to 80,000lb
with proposed big-rigs doing 55 mph on the Interstate hitting a bull moose on I-35 in Minnesota at 02:00 during the Fall out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Me too.
Me three!

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
We'll see if you have a choice. I think they will find that for any auto-piloting scheme to work it will require every vehicle on the road to be on the same network or at the very least have some sort of transponder.
that'd hold up 'till fatboy in N.Korea hacks into said network; creating instant mayhem death and destruction across the continental USA?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-15-22 at 01:17 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-22, 01:24 PM   #148
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
that'd hold up 'till fatboy in N.Korea hacks into said network; creating instant mayhem death and destruction across the continental USA?

Don't need the NK's, just a bit of snow or road grime over the camera lens ought to do it. Transponders would help but unless you can get that moose to wear one it will also have issues.

Old 11-15-22, 01:51 PM   #149
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

According to this Danish article. Owner of Tesla could be breaking the law in EU..

Danish TV2 News writes:
Quote:
Tesla owners risk breaking law

Tesla's surveillance system, Sentry Mode, may be breaking EU GDPR rules. writes FDM's magazine, Engine.

Developments in technology on new Tesla models could mean that many Tesla owners risk breaking the law without even realising it.

The reason for this is to be found in Tesla's monitoring system, called Tesla Sentry Mode.

The monitoring system is designed to document and prevent theft, vandalism and road damage.

A Tesla is equipped with several cameras around the car that film passers-by. Both when the car is moving and when it is stationary. These are the cameras used by the surveillance system.

Update in conflict with the law
At the same time, an update in 2021 allowed Tesla owners to access the cameras on their app, so they could keep track of what was happening around their Tesla on their mobile.

With this feature, many Danish Tesla owners risk violating the TV surveillance law, writes FDM's member magazine, Engine.

According to the law, it is not allowed for private individuals to carry out TV surveillance of "streets, roads, squares or similar areas used for normal traffic".

- The development of camera technology in modern cars is rapid - and probably faster than the legislation has been able to keep up with, says FDM chief consultant Dennis Lange to FDM's member magazine, Engine

Forwarded to the Netherlands
A so-called data complaint has been filed with the Danish Data Protection Authority, but Tesla has its European headquarters in the Netherlands, and the request to the Data Protection Authority has therefore been forwarded to the authorities in the Netherlands.

It is now up to the Dutch authorities to investigate whether Tesla is in breach of EU GDPR rules.

- For the consumer, it is in any case crucial that the equipment the car comes with can be relied upon to be used legally, and if there are restrictions on this possibility, that the consumer is clearly informed about the circumstances under which the equipment may not be used, says Dennis Lange to Engine.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-22, 05:12 AM   #150
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Since Musk is so effectively destroying Twitter, can we have him buy Facebook next?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrics cars, tesla