Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-27-16, 10:05 PM   #1
CEZ350
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default SH 3, 4 or 5?

I apologize for posting here, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place. I used to play SH 3 and 4 and I have been thinking of getting back into the series. With the mods now available, which SH plays the best nowadays, 3, 4, or 5?
CEZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 11:13 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome to our little insane asylum, CEZ350. Happy to have you aboard.

You ask a hard question. Everyone's opinion will vary on what it should be. SH3 and SH5 are U-boats in the Atlantic. SH4 is in the Pacific with the American submarines. I guess you choose from there first. Each game has some great mega-mod to enhance the game. Just depends on where your likes and dislikes are.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 11:57 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

As was said above, each has something different to offer and something none of the others has. SH5 with the modern mods is a visual feast, and many people love it above the others. So why play anything else, especially when the others look their age?

Unfortunately SH5 still only allows for a variant of a Type VII u-boat, and probably always will. If that's not what you play for, then the game is well worth it.

Only SH4 gives you an opportunity to command an American fleet boat in the 'Silent Service'. That said, the complete SH4 1.5 also lets you run a u-boat and Operation Monsun lets you do it throughout the entire war, a la SH3. SH4 also has some functions that neither the older or newer versions has, including the most realistic crew management system.

SH3 is still the only version that offers "realistic" eye-candy, such as working locks in the canals and harbors that had them (via LSH3, but available as a separate add-on for GWX), a tool (SH3 Commander) that gives realistic names, tonnages, cargoes and crew numbers to the ships you sink. There are also a wealth of other mods that let you tailor the game to your liking.

Again, it's all up to what you want from the game.
Old 06-28-16, 12:11 AM   #4
CEZ350
Nub

Downloads: 1

Thanks guys. I always enjoyed the U-Boat action in the Atlantic more than the Pacific, I think. I was mostly asking because I have read all kinds of horror stories about how unstable SH5 is. It's the only one I haven't played, and I didn't know if the mods made it playable or not.
CEZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 01:47 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Oh. In that case it becomes a lot simpler. Yes, SH5 is very playable these days, and has been for a couple of years. There are many mods that help make it so, and players with SH5 experience will tell you a lot more than I can, but these days it boils down to one supermod, highly praised by pretty much everyone.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703
Old 06-28-16, 04:03 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > CEZ350
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod
Highly Recommended > LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod > Full Tutorials And Much More In My Signature
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 04:40 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEZ350 View Post
I apologize for posting here, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place. I used to play SH 3 and 4 and I have been thinking of getting back into the series. With the mods now available, which SH plays the best nowadays, 3, 4, or 5?
Modded SH5 with TDW Real Navigation definitely.

This mod is considered by many as the best single mod ever developed for SH games and it really makes the difference. True game changer ...

SH3 and 4 are also great choices and in some aspects still in front of SH5 but , at least for me personally, sailing with GPS navigation (surfaced and submerged) in WW2 sim seems somewhat lame now...

Actually, I decided to "shift" to SH5 just because of this great mod. Definitely worth of trying...

Last edited by vdr1981; 06-28-16 at 05:02 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 01:37 PM   #8
xXNightEagleXx
Planesman

Downloads: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
I say that overall SH3 has the best gameplay BY FAR
Well it would be more helpful if you could elaborate and define what do you mean by best gameplay. I'm not arguing your opinion but gameplay itself is too vague.
Are you talking about campaign? submarine behavior? ai behavior? ecc.....
I don't agree that the link you provided is fair enough to give a good idea about 3 vs 5 because as you said they are mostly comparing 3 to 4 which are really different and the 5 itself is really different from 3 and 4.

For example, in sh5 under some circumstance when you proceed with an attack, sooner or later reinforcements will arrive (which is great). You have real navigation (which might be great for some). IMO in sh5 the campaign is a big event fest and that kills the "replayability" (although you can ignore them, but them you might feel like you are just doing whatever you want instead of being part of a bigger plan with a common objective).

These are just my own opinion that might divert a little bit also because it is more than 6 month that i touch any sh.

NE
xXNightEagleXx is offline   Reply With Quote