SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-21, 10:26 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Twenty patrols , well that explains it. I rarely keep captain beyond six patrols or so anymore, just keep the boat by editing the file to have a a new captain. Twenty satisfactory patrols though, you earned it. I have wolfpack operations integrated into campaign next update, do wish could link promotion to Captain to ability to command a wolfpack.

No, three weeks does not sound short. Patrol lengths can vary based on factors. Just curious.

Got ya. I was curious as I believe the sim does award rating of your boats commander i.e. you based on renown earned by achieving assigned goals and each ship is worth certain amount of renown as well, combined with the difficulty level running at.

no need to apologize!
s7rikeback and PB have been schooling me up on fixing all kinds of subtle errors, like the list i sent to you last month or maybe the month before. this is a very complex system design...there are bound to be disconnects.

"so...followup question: assuming you correct the PBY-date-thing, how do you plan to generate the air-survivors for us to rescue? i am intrigued by this!"

Well, the downed aircrews in this case and most cases come from planes that are actually shot down/crash. Sometimes there are survivors, sometimes there not. In nearly all situations, a few planes will be shot down, providing high chance to rescue downed aircrew. The downed pilots in the water spawn as well as rafts which can be rescued, simulating picking up downed crews of planes with more one person aboard. In some cases, planes may not be shot down or crash, so will be no one to rescue. In the Wake strikes of Jan Feb 1944 by the flying boats, no planes were lost so Tang did not have to rescue any aircrew. The one time I observed these strikes in game, one PBY had a engine fire but flew other and searched area, flight path, no survivors. I have carrier strikes scripted on Wake, Marcus etc, usually a few to rescue due to losses from AA fire etc.

I have also added missions to rescue stranded crew of sunken PT boat in Solomons (based on PT-109) and the Philippines, as well as to recover intelligence agents, commandos. A mission based on Nautilus's rescue of adults and children from Teop,Bougainville in late 1942 as well. The rafts spawn at certain times, usually a date and time based trigger. This method in a few cases is used to spawn downed aviators, such as a TBF pilot down in the waters off Chi Chi Jima on September 2 1944

" it's probably a missing TGA file for a zoom-in view. i say that because there was an icon for a coastal gun visible on the Nav Map until i zoomed-in. that's when the error message displayed rather than the next level of icon."

Thanks, will check into it.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote