Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-10, 03:44 PM   #1
Nate8thcvi
Watch

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Custom AOD installer?

I've been able to get AOD running on XP using DOSBox, but the sound is a little screwy and I cannot install the expansion patch or the 1.2 patch. I'm running out of ideas on how I can do this - I've tried everything, including using a floppy disk as they say.

There are many talented people on the SubSim forums who have made custom installers for various programs, such as GWX and others. Is there anyone who would be able to make a custom install program for the original Aces of the Deep with the expansion and 1.2 patch already worked in? Perhaps coupled with a version of DOSBox?

Nate
Nate8thcvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:42 PM   #2
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28

Hey there.

You might want to take a breath and try explaining what the problem is in more detail. (IE: Step by step, what did you do?)

I encountered a problem, some time ago, that sounds like yours. I wrote about it in this thread. The pertinent information from the post follows:

Quote:
The instructions basically have you make a floppy disk with the necessary files for updating your AotD installation, and then run the installer out of the floppy disk. Now, I have no floppy drive (who does?) so I had to find a different way of doing this all, because the installer will only work if it is being run from the A: drive. I am assuming that by making some simple changes to the .BAT file I could trick the installer into running out of the directory that I unzipped it to. But I found it much easier to simply mount a directory as A: in DOSBox, and then follow the instructions. It works now. And I have both updates installed.
Basically, unzip the Expansion Pack archive and mount the resulting directory as "A:". That's what worked for me. Give it a try if you can. If that doesn't fix it then post step by step what you are doing and I will try to troubleshoot it with you.

As far as sound goes, I have always had glitchy sound with AOD in DOSBox. It can be testing at first, but I've never found it to be too upsetting.

Also, I have no idea about creating an installer to automate all of this. It may be possible, but I sure as hell can't do it.

EDIT: Also, make sure you are installing the Expansion Pack BEFORE the 1.2 Patch.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 07:22 PM   #3
CTarana
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsuarez View Post
Hey there.

Basically, unzip the Expansion Pack archive and mount the resulting directory as "A:". That's what worked for me. Give it a try if you can. If that doesn't fix it then post step by step what you are doing and I will try to troubleshoot it with you.
Koogles! Why didn't I think of that? I've got a copy of the expansion too and I was wondering how I was going to do that?

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 08:19 PM   #4
kgsuarez
Planesman

Is it working properly now?

Also, read the readme files for the patch and the expansion. I don't remember which one needs to be installed first, but it is important that it is done in the proper order.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote